Quantcast
European Energy Crisis, Foreshadowing for the rest of the world? - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 482

Thread: European Energy Crisis, Foreshadowing for the rest of the world?

  1. #281
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Just outside Red Deer, years ago. You see service rigs every once in a while, and they are just on the outer edge of the city limits.

    I bet Medicine Hat has lots but can't confirm having paid attention. Your argument is poor, I actually am curious as to what would be the argument against it. One may be cost, I know SFA about gas wells, but it sounds like they can be drilled quite long lengths. I'm sure closer is better, but my understanding is there are options.

    Again, if the choice is freeze/no electricity and have power, the choice is pretty clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

  2. #282
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,407
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Meanwhile in the UK:

    Name:  Fc2fpqlaEAESqqr.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  39.3 KB

  3. #283
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    8,404
    Rep Power
    89

    Default

    But think of the dolphins
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  4. #284
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,763
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Service rigs or a single dwelling on a large acreage perhaps. I've never seen a drilling rig within 1km of a village or town but I'd love for you to provide an example of where this has recently happened in Alberta.
    I performed the primary cement job on these wells ~7-8ish years ago?
    This is just north of Cochrane. For reference that community was being built when we were out there.
    Name:  Screenshot 2022-09-21 102439.png
Views: 277
Size:  505.9 KB

    As for service rigs, yeah you'd be surprised how many active wells are still WITHIN towns and cities. Those are not at all uncommon.

  5. #285
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    3,738
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Service rigs or a single dwelling on a large acreage perhaps. I've never seen a drilling rig within 1km of a village or town but I'd love for you to provide an example of where this has recently happened in Alberta.
    You have an opinion that is indicative of your lack of firsthand exposure to rural AB. Nevermind places like California or Texas that have an outrageous density of wells near, and even in, suburban areas.

  6. #286
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    8,404
    Rep Power
    89

    Default

    Haha we put a fake house on top of a well in Edson one time.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  7. #287
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vagabond Backpacker
    My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus
    Posts
    1,443
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You have an opinion that is indicative of your lack of firsthand exposure to rural AB. Nevermind places like California or Texas that have an outrageous density of wells near, and even in, suburban areas.
    lol, you just can't read. There are numerous existing wells within town and city limits throughout Alberta and especially in Texas (I used to park by a pumpjack in the HEB/Target parking lot in Odessa).

    Those were existing wells though and that's why I specifically said drilling rigs. vengie's example is the closest I've seen but as he pointed out, that community was under construction.

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha we put a fake house on top of a well in Edson one time.
    Yea, it's very common in West Texas. The ones that blew my mind were the wellheads between the highway and exit ramps on some of the roads there... if someone missed the exit they'd plow right through the wellhead.

  8. #288
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,763
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha we put a fake house on top of a well in Edson one time.
    This is SOP in Med Hat

  9. #289
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon SK
    My Ride
    General Motors Competizione
    Posts
    1,154
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Service rigs or a single dwelling on a large acreage perhaps. I've never seen a drilling rig within 1km of a village or town but I'd love for you to provide an example of where this has recently happened in Alberta.
    Enerplus drilled these wells around Medicine Hat in 2016 and 17. I lived about where the N is in Ranchlands.

    Name:  Enerplus.png
Views: 242
Size:  117.4 KB

    Not drilling, but there's also this if you've never seen a drilling rig near town. This was last year.

    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  140.2 KB

    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  99.0 KB
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

  10. #290
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    3,850
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Does a service rig in Huntington Beach count?
    Name:  PXL_20220806_202938518.MP.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  186.5 KB

  11. #291
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vagabond Backpacker
    My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus
    Posts
    1,443
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Enerplus drilled these wells around Medicine Hat in 2016 and 17. I lived about where the N is in Ranchlands.

    Name:  Enerplus.png
Views: 242
Size:  117.4 KB
    Finally an actual example - thanks!

    Back to my original point, you'll never see a drilling rig 1 km from a Western European town (nor would you in most Eastern Canadian towns).

    I am surprised there hasn't been more gas supply to Europe from the North Sea though. At the end of the day, the economics of Russian gas won out.

  12. #292
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Garbanzo Bean
    Posts
    11,514
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Okay yeah now you clarified I do agree with you that local politics is the deciding factor not any lack of land or anything technical.

  13. #293
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,407
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the economics of Russian gas won out.
    When when you make everything else uneconomical, what choice is there?

    I wonder if there's going to be migration of Germans to warmer areas of Europe.

  14. #294
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    8,404
    Rep Power
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When when you make everything else uneconomical, what choice is there?

    I wonder if there's going to be migration of Germans to warmer areas of Europe.
    You mean the ones that are unbearable without AC in the summer?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  15. #295
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,407
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean the ones that are unbearable without AC in the summer?
    The fourth Reich will give AC to all!

  16. #296
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vagabond Backpacker
    My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus
    Posts
    1,443
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay yeah now you clarified I do agree with you that local politics is the deciding factor not any lack of land or anything technical.
    lol as if you'd be happy with a rig 500M from your house

  17. #297
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Garbanzo Bean
    Posts
    11,514
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    I have louder and more useless shit closer than 500m from my house every day. A drilling rig for ~10 days would not bug me at all, particularly if my energy bills were skyrocketing and I was concerned about dying from lack of heating fuel.

    Apparently that's atypical.

  18. #298
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,407
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    I thought the rig stays there forever, and they flare every two hours. And then a bunch of rig workers rapes all the women.

    Has Hollywood taught me wrong?

  19. #299
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vagabond Backpacker
    My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus
    Posts
    1,443
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have louder and more useless shit closer than 500m from my house every day. A drilling rig for ~10 days would not bug me at all, particularly if my energy bills were skyrocketing and I was concerned about dying from lack of heating fuel.

    Apparently that's atypical.
    It is atypical but good on you. To be honest, I wouldn't mind either but that's because I grew up in Alberta and worked in O&G. The typical Canadian or European are completely brainwashed on fossil fuels and wouldn't have it.

    At least it seems Europeans are getting on board with nuclear again, but I imagine them having difficulty locating new nuclear PP as well given all the NIMBYs.

  20. #300
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Bought some more $lng as it tanked this morning, while doing some research found this pretty funny:

    Name:  gas jumps.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  47.1 KB

    Name:  gas falls.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  48.1 KB

    I suppose that the price can "jump" while still trending down, but serious Bloomberg, get your shit together.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MELTDOWN. The world financial crisis explained....

    By Toma in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 07-23-2014, 11:52 AM
  2. Must See Documentary "Inside Job", re world financial crisis.

    By Toma in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM
  3. Direct energy - Energy consultant

    By shynepho in forum Careers
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 02-18-2010, 03:18 PM
  5. Replies: 26
    Latest Threads: 10-16-2005, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •