Quantcast
2022 f1 - Page 40 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 f1

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He looked rather responsible for the accident (I mean, I'd chalk it up as a racing incident but when Gasly backed off it looked like GR went pretty hard left into Zhou) and had lost a tire himself. Not sure if his PU had shut off as well. I think it was more the commentators playing up the idea of him being able to continue in the race more than any initial expectation from GR or Mercedes.

Often, the drivers also know better than the volunteer marshals as well. I mean, the marshals are briefed/trained but a lot of them still do stupid isht in the heat of the moment. Even if GR just reminded them not to touch Zhou until the medical car arrived it might have helped.
    I think it's chalked up to a racing incident, but ultimately it was more Russell's fault than anyone else's, if not even entirely his fault.

Russell said in his interview during the red flag that when he got back to the car, it didn't start, so he ran back to pit lane (I suppose that's allowed?) to get advice. When he got back, the car was on a flatbed, despite him asking them not to touch the car.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Good race. How the heck was Leclerc pushing up Sainz ass with a broken wing near the start of the race?

I see everyone talking about how stupid Ferrari is for not pitting Leclerc on the last safety car. But they would've been double stacked there and lost time, seemed like a big risk to pit both cars. I thought they would've tried to use Sainz to keep Leclerc within DRS range and just drag him around the track and able to defend passes.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I think that this is a rare time that Ferrari did it right. They have two cars in the top 3, need to use one to protect the other. Either way this is the only chance to get either at the top.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Good race. How the heck was Leclerc pushing up Sainz ass with a broken wing near the start of the race?
    I'm convinced the aero isn't as big of a deal as the commentators make it up to be. At least once per race you hear someone squawking something like "OH MY GOD HE'S MISSING AN ENDPLATE, HOW IS HE ABLE TO EVEN KEEP THIS CAR ON THE TRACK!!1!!"

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I'm convinced the aero isn't as big of a deal as the commentators make it up to be. At least once per race you hear someone squawking something like "OH MY GOD HE'S MISSING AN ENDPLATE, HOW IS HE ABLE TO EVEN KEEP THIS CAR ON THE TRACK!!1!!"
    Horner revealed that Max was running with a piece of Gasly's endplate wedged under his car, which apparently was causing a 20% decrease in aero. 20% seems like an awful lot, but he certainly was slower.

My Ride
    Exploded.

That halo was essentially a skating blade on track sheesh

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    That halo was essentially a skating blade on track sheesh
    Yea, I think he slid through the gravel faster because of being upside down. Either way, that gap between the tires and the fence was foolish. Hopefully they take note and improve the barriers on other tracks.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Yea, I think he slid through the gravel faster because of being upside down. Either way, that gap between the tires and the fence was foolish. Hopefully they take note and improve the barriers on other tracks.
    Shouldn't that gap exist because you need to absorb the impact from the tires? Otherwise, the fence is just eating all the forces with the tires with no room to absorb the impact.

My Ride
    V167

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Shouldn't that gap exist because you need to absorb the impact from the tires? Otherwise, the fence is just eating all the forces with the tires with no room to absorb the impact.
    There's a corrugated steel barrier behind the tires holding them in place. It seems they intentionally built a path between the chainlink fence and tires - no idea why.

My Ride
    This and that.

Heartbroken for Sainz, poor guy. Should have been a Rarri 1-2. Thankfully the car JUST held out for LeClerc - I am deff. cheering for him for WDC as it seems like he's the only one that can topple Max.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Yea, gutted for Sainz for sure.

They seemed to be very tight on track limits and I thought the penalties were reasonable - hopefully they continue to consistently apply that through the rest of the season.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Boy, pretty quiet thread following an eventful race weekend.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Weather was too nice on the weekend, and I accidentally opened instagram and saw who won the race so I was like mehhhhhhhhhhhh and watched highlights instead

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    Boy, pretty quiet thread following an eventful race weekend.
    Yea, it was rather eventful but I'm not even sure what to comment about it.

Checo f'd up by trying to go around the outside on Turn 4 but it still sucks that Russell only got a 5 second penalty and still managed to podium while Checo's day was done.

Scary fire for Sainz. Dude's having such bad luck this season and those Ferrari PU seems like reliability bombs for all of the teams using them.

If I had a single take away from the race, it's that McLaren has already decided to let Daniel go because there were doing zero to support him despite him having solid pace against Norris.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I didn’t think any teammate behind getting drs should say complain they were faster. I didn’t really notice Riccardo vs Norris but all year Norris has been faster so I don’t think Riccardo would have been faster here. Ric finished 11 Norris 7.

Mick vs Kevin was kinda the same, mick thought he was faster while getting drs for 3 straights. Mick ended up ahead of Kevin at some point.

Good race overall, was curious to see what Excuse George was use this time for taking at checko. main excuse was full weight of gas and understeer into the turn, seems logical I guess. Kinda silly for checko to try it on the first lap when this track has plenty of passing spots.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    I didn’t think any teammate behind getting drs should say complain they were faster. I didn’t really notice Riccardo vs Norris but all year Norris has been faster so I don’t think Riccardo would have been faster here. Ric finished 11 Norris 7.
    I'm thinking more about the sprint. The radio comms were terrible:

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Checo f'd up by trying to go around the outside on Turn 4 but it still sucks that Russell only got a 5 second penalty and still managed to podium while Checo's day was done.
    The fact that this was even penalized, on lap 1, shows f1 is still inconsistent in investigations and penalties. Both drivers left each other room. Russell had room to to tighter but hit the curb. Perez could’ve gone wider but decided to pinch Russell. Literally the definition of a racing incident. You could even argue that Perez pinch at entry forced Russell on the curb. And you wonder why drivers are pissed because they don’t know what they can or can’t do. Albon taking out Vettel during sprint while vettel went as wide as possible was way worse, can definitely deem Albon at fault, and wasn’t penalized.

Even Horner and Marko criticized Perez for that move, and told him pre race not to do it there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Even Horner and Marko criticized Perez for that move, and told him pre race not to do it there.
    This is the 3rd year in the row he's hit someone into that corner...I'm sensing a pattern here. The RBR was so much faster than the Mercedes, he could have waited 1-2 laps and blown by him on a straight but cost the team and himself a ton of "free" points.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The fact that this was even penalized, on lap 1, shows f1 is still inconsistent in investigations and penalties. Both drivers left each other room. Russell had room to to tighter but hit the curb. Perez could’ve gone wider but decided to pinch Russell. Literally the definition of a racing incident. You could even argue that Perez pinch at entry forced Russell on the curb. And you wonder why drivers are pissed because they don’t know what they can or can’t do. Albon taking out Vettel during sprint while vettel went as wide as possible was way worse, can definitely deem Albon at fault, and wasn’t penalized.

What's inconsistent about the Russel penalty? Checo was ahead, left Russel room, and Russel still hit him. That's textbook application of a penalty they said they would be monitoring very closely this year.

This whole penalty mess was my big take away this race. Literally every driver penalized for causing a collision in this manner, their 5 second penalty was completely irrelevant. Whether someone thinks Checo should have made that pass or not is irrelevant in this discussion. Checo followed the rules, got taken out and his race was a DNF because of it. Russel goes on and likely missed the 3rd place podium because of the penalty, but still walked away with 4th place points. I don't know what they need to do to resolve this? But there certainly needs to be something done to fix a rule issue that specifically benefits a driver for causing a collision.

Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast