Quantcast
School me on King Off Road Racing shocks - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: School me on King Off Road Racing shocks

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Default School me on King Off Road Racing shocks

I’m looking at a used Tacoma with a King Off Road Racing suspension. I’m guessing it may be an older kit so I’m not finding much/any info on it.
    Picture shows a external cylinder of some kind connected to the shock. Im guessing it’s for adjusting the shock but I’m not sure if it’s ride height or for dampening. King’s site is a bit vague and confusing so I have no idea. Any info would be appreciated before I get more serious about making a deal on it.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

King is one of the higher end shock builders. The external reservoir will be for damping.

I do recall looking at then a few years ago as they were all the rage, but chose a different path for my Taco. Kings were a more expensive unit that got popular with the Baja racers because they could be rebuilt, but it turns out shipping them back to do just that cost a small fortune and they quickly fell out of favour.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Without knowing the details, they're likely to be a 2.5" remote res coilover up front and a 2.5" remote res shock in the back. They may be adjustable or they may not - just having a remote reservoir doesn't necessarily mean it's adjustable. Any adjustment on the reservoir would only be for damping, ride height is adjusted the normal way you adjust a coilover. Rears have no height adjustment.

I mean it could be super modded out with height-adjustable air shocks but it's unlikely. Got any pics?

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without knowing the details, they're likely to be a 2.5" remote res coilover up front and a 2.5" remote res shock in the back. They may be adjustable or they may not - just having a remote reservoir doesn't necessarily mean it's adjustable. Any adjustment on the reservoir would only be for damping, ride height is adjusted the normal way you adjust a coilover. Rears have no height adjustment.

I mean it could be super modded out with height-adjustable air shocks but it's unlikely. Got any pics?
    These are the best pics I can find. I haven gone to have an up close look….I was hoping height adjustable. It’s lifted too high for my liking.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, don't pay extra for them thats for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

They come with truck so are they just old or just in bad condition?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by frozenrice View Post
    They just aren’t worth any more money than anything else really.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

what year truck? I just had my leafsprings and shocks replaced on my taco and they were way more rusted then that, not surprised.. That being said, if it has king shocks, it's likely been wheeled..I'd be test driving and see how it feels for things like alignment and driveline vibration. I'd also be more inclined to buy a truck that someone put proper shocks into (Kings) then putting pucks onto the stock suspension for added height.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 01-10-2022 at 09:36 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You can see that those are coilovers which means you can lower them. But how crusted up and how much work to get them free if they are seized

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Appear to be 2.5s in the front and rear, fronts would be height adjustable with a spanner wrench, rear height is based on leafs. Price new would be over $4k for that setup...

King are high end and can be rebuilt locally at a few shops, notably Krave and the Gear Shop. I wouldnt worry about the bit of corrosion on the fittings.. worst case scenario they can always be replaced down the road.
    Big thing to check would be if either shock is leaking...if they are they need a rebuild. From what I recall its ~$1k for the full set to be redone with labour. Besides that perhaps shaft condition, if there are small rock dings they can slowly eat away at the seals.

Tough to tell in the pictures, but does the Taco have aftermarket upper control arms as well? Cant imagine they would throw on Kings and not... but for anything over a 2.5" lift you will want them.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

These are the best pics I can find. I haven gone to have an up close look….I was hoping height adjustable. It’s lifted too high for my liking.
    Yep that's good enough, those are definitely King 2.5s, the front is height adjustable like a normal coilover but from the looks of it it's only got about an inch of adjustment left so you won't be able to go too much lower. Rear is not height-adjustable (it's just a shock) but the truck may have an add-a-leaf kit you can remove. The shocks don't look to have adjustable dampers, still a high-quality package even if they don't look overly pretty. Just make sure they're not leaking or totally shagged.