Quantcast
Rear Ended: Insurance Question - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rear Ended: Insurance Question

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cars that can be written off with minor fender-benders are cars that you probably shouldn't be too worried about writing off. A beater being written off can be a huge financial benefit.
    so this is the part I'm conflicted on. If it's written off will the insurance scew us on a stupidly low buy out. If that's the case it's not worth the trouble being written off.

Family seems to think if it's written off we will end up on the losing side of things.

As others said it's just a bumper. Cars perfectly fine otherwise.. would rather the kid keep the car he's familiar with then get a low payout and then gamble with some other vehicle.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You don’t have to take the first offer the insurance company gives you…

Not sure why you are afraid of your insurance company, you literally pay them to take care of you in this exact situation.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    so this is the part I'm conflicted on. If it's written off will the insurance scew us on a stupidly low buy out. If that's the case it's not worth the trouble being written off.

Family seems to think if it's written off we will end up on the losing side of things.

As others said it's just a bumper. Cars perfectly fine otherwise.. would rather the kid keep the car he's familiar with then get a low payout and then gamble with some other vehicle.
    As stated, be ready for a battle, never accept their first offer. If its being written off, they need to replace it with something of similar value/similar condition.

Ive had a vehicle written off that the payout was more than it was bought for, solely because finding a semi-rare replacement "in like" condition required them to pony up more money and i bargained for a good deal when i originally bought it.
    It took work, but i had to send 3-4 examples of vehicles in the market (kijiji) with similar mileage/condition.

With todays market on used vehicles, it should be easy to come out ahead
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    You guys are missing the point here. The question isn't whether or not he should be going through insurance. It's whether or not he has to accept the write off.

I don't believe you have to accept it.

But if you do and you want to keep the vehicle, it must be repaired before you can drive it again and it will have a salvage status, but since it's a beater that's not that big of a deal.

I would suggest starting to look for vehicles of the similar year, mileage, options, etc on Kijiji, Facebook, and Auto Trade and taking screenshots of them. The insurance company will undoubtedly give you a low ball offer, so have some examples for them to counter their offer should you go the insurance settlement route.

Future registration won't say Salvage, it will say Rebuilt (assuming the vehicle is repaired, run through the proper inspection and put back into service). The insurance company has final say if the vehicle will be written off or not, the policy holder has no real say in this. If the cost to repair exceeds ~75% of the vehicles value the insurance company will write it off.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Generally if you go this route the vehicle ends up in a salvage state and you can only put PL/PD on it.
    Not true, if the vehicle has been properly repaired and recertified for the road you can buy full coverage if you wish.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Right now it seems like your options are 1) deal with this asshole who won't pay for proper repairs or 2) deal with insurance. Don't overthink it.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 01-10-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by extraslow View Post
    right now it seems like your options are 1) let the asshole fuck your son's dad or 2) fuck the asshole's dad('s asshole). Don't overthink it.
    ftfy

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

He is now overthinking that clarification.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I'm pretty sure once insurance declares it a write-off there not a whole lot you can do. If you buy it back you have to pay to have it recertified and status changed from salvage to repaired.

Dealing with insurance for a written off payout is a pain. They never want to pay you out what the car is worth. The insurance company is NOT on your side. I've had to deal with them a few times, document everything. Start looking for replacement vehicle prices, private sale and dealer (add tax to dealer list price). I create a document and start copying ads with details in there for comparables, if you do this and willing to stick it out, it will be worth your while. When they say *Final Offer* it's not the final offer.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    right now it seems like your options are 1) let the asshole fuck your son's dad or 2) fuck the asshole's dad('s asshole). Don't overthink it.
    I'm stealing this.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by DonJuan; 01-10-2022 at 01:16 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

In the past when my vehicles have been involved in an accident, if they want to pay for it out of pocket I am fine with that, but it is always with the stipulation that it is at the repair shop of my choice (and I am reasonable about it). I also let them know that the second they make it a headache for me, I am just gonna put it through insurance.

Every single time, it has ended up going through insurance, and each time, the at-fault person gets pissy with me. I just block their number and carry on as it is no longer my problem to deal with.

I play nice as it is an accident and obviously they didn't do it on purpose, but, I am also doing them a favor. If it starts becoming more of a hassle because of their actions, well, I am just gonna take the easy route.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The guy who hit my kids car wants to use a shady repair place that's 70% cheaper than the 3 different places we brought the car to. Offered an extremely reasonable cash settlement that hes refusing.

Only reason I tried to work with the guy to avoid insurance was he seemed concerned about the accident being on his driving record. I assume he drives for a living.
    I did this once when I was young. Even back then it was a waste of my time and weeks of worrying the dude would skip town.

Now I just say Fuck It, swap insurance, check valid coverage dates and move on. Won't waste my time trying to save a buck. Regardless who's at fault.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

The guy can eat a great big bowl of dicks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My three write-offs have all be easy.

Kramer-write-it-off.gif

My Ride
    Audi

Ah this reminded me of the "beggers can be choosers" time when a young girl in a Prius rear ended my 6 month old Sierra. She hit my hitch receiver, but there was no damage elsewhere. I wanted her to replace it because I won't take on the liability of the receiver failing at some point in the future causing me to lose a trailer (this is a normal requirement in damage appraisals when someone hits a hitch, its not worth the liability for how cheap the part is). I took pity and decided to do a good dead by willing to do this without insurance, use my discount with the dealer and do the work myself. I just wanted her to buy the parts for me (was less than $500, I even gave her the quote # at the dealer so she could pay it herself).

The girl's dad calls me and starts off nice, thanking me for not going thru insurance cause his was daughter was 18 and just got her license. Then he says my hitch is fine, and he's backed into things before with his hitch and no issues. I remind him that i'm not taking on that liability when SHE hit me, I'm not trying to make a buck here, he can just go pay for the part and i'll do the work myself. Then he starts getting pissy when he realizes i'm adamant about him buying me a new hitch receiver and says 'fine then I guess we'll see you in court' to which I replied, "you know what, I felt bad for your daughter, but you're a dick. I'm going through insurance. Good luck with her insurance premiums". Tried to call me back several times after that, I just sent it to insurance and told him to deal with the insurance company instead.

tldr; Got hit. Did nice thing by offering not to go thru insurance. Other party decided to be a dick and didn't appreciate my kindness, so I went thru insurance. Moral of the story is to just go thru insurance; that's why you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Future registration won't say Salvage, it will say Rebuilt (assuming the vehicle is repaired, run through the proper inspection and put back into service). The insurance company has final say if the vehicle will be written off or not, the policy holder has no real say in this. If the cost to repair exceeds ~75% of the vehicles value the insurance company will write it off.
    Used to do damage appraisals on and off for my family's autobody shop, bingo. Policy holder has no say whether it's written off or not. However the policy holder can influence the value if they value the vehicle too low (eg. policy holder can find other listing for vehicle price when dealing with the adjuster). When playing this game, just be careful. I do recall once someone was able to increase the value of their vehicle enough that they ended up not writing it off (the guy wanted a bigger payout, but managed to increase it enough that they decided to fix it ).

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i had the same thing happen to me, basically the same situation, had video evidence that it was clearly the other guy's fault, he wanted to settle cash, i got quotes, he lowballed me, jerked me around, so i ended up going through insurance just in spite of him, i really didn't want to lose the car, but it was the only option (car was older, i wasn't gonna spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on an insurance inspection and minor BS repairs to get it rebuilt status, and the insurance company wanted way too much for a buyback anyway, they'd have gotten $300 in scrap value and they wanted me to pay almost $1000)
    Last edited by Thaco; 01-10-2022 at 04:07 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Bicycle

You don’t have to take the first offer the insurance company gives you…

Not sure why you are afraid of your insurance company, you literally pay them to take care of you in this exact situation.
    Got a feeling OP's son is driving a <$5K beater. And used car market kinda sux right now if insurance wrote it off and he lost a car and end up losing more $ buying another one.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Got a feeling OP's son is driving a <$5K beater. And used car market kinda sux right now if insurance wrote it off and he lost a car and end up losing more $ buying another one.
    Except that the car market being shit means his written off beater is worth more too…

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    it is sub 5k and car is perfectly fine other then the freaking bumper now.... Anyways lots of people have been in this situation. Time to spite the loser and hit him hard.

Seems like my son has a lot of aches and pains now... weird how that happened.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

it is sub 5k and car is perfectly fine other then the freaking bumper now.... Anyways lots of people have been in this situation. Time to spite the loser and hit him hard.

Seems like my son has a lot of aches and pains now... weird how that happened.
    No.. its not weird. the aches and pains is exactly why you go through insurance. Accidents can cause injuries like this and may not show up right away.

When I was cut off doing 50km/h and hit the side of a truck it wrote the car off and had bruising after a few days.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

The rear end of my truck got hit last year in may from an oncoming car. moved the truck over 6 feet but only did about 8k in damage. I am almost back to normal from it now after countless chiro and physio appointments. even small accidents can screw you up.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Humans are too soft

fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast