Quantcast
Tenant went on a trip for 3 weeks over xmas and thought it was ok to turn heat off... - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tenant went on a trip for 3 weeks over xmas and thought it was ok to turn heat off...

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. I know a handful of men who didn't grow up with handy parents and now as adults themselves they couldn't change a tire or own a drill.
    Both my brothers can't do anything handy or change flat tires. My dad was super handy and showed me how to fix anything. Being handy and immune to covid? I'm a walking god.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I find it really hilarious that I'm the "handy" one in my family, both my two brothers come to me for advice. But in my social group, I'm the least handy guy by far. It's all about your expectations and frame of reference.

Now the best way to become handy is to be a landlord, because you will be fixing shit constantly, and you sure can't afford to hire a professional, because then you'd be even more cash flow negative. Sounds rewarding.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I'd like to change my own car brakes, but I'm scared.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I bet she sucked dick better than you.
    You don't know me. You're assuming.

But yeah. She was wonderful. And well above my league in the looks department. Which is why her lack of IQ didn't bother me as much. It was meant to be a 3 week relationship which ended up 3 years.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Are we really to the point where we can say someone is of average intelligence and accept that they can’t realize that no heat = cold = freezing?

I guess there is also a substantial portion of the population that plugs their block heater in because they don’t want their battery to go flat, so my statement might be moot
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Agreed. I know a handful of men who didn't grow up with handy parents and now as adults themselves they couldn't change a tire or own a drill.
    I have a 35 year old friend that is this guy. No lie he would have no idea how to use a drill properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Now the best way to become handy is to be a landlord, because you will be fixing shit constantly, and you sure can't afford to hire a professional, because then you'd be even more cash flow negative. Sounds rewarding.
    Not trying to persuade anyone into the rental game because now its probably too late for the average joe but fwiw the most expensive repair that i can recall in the 15 years is probably a dishwasher replacement. Ive done minor things here and there but not the constant shit like you'd think, tbh i probably go to them for repairs once a year if that. I dont doubt there are a ton of LL losing cash monthly but you'd be as naive as my tenant if you thought this was the MO lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I find it really hilarious that I'm the "handy" one in my family, both my two brothers come to me for advice. But in my social group, I'm the least handy guy by far. It's all about your expectations and frame of reference.

With RE investing, cash flow is irrelevant. It's all about the sweet sweet equity.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    With RE investing, cash flow is irrelevant. It's all about the sweet sweet equity.
    I trust your analysis if this asset class. I invest elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Isn't specialization of labour the foundation of society since the Industrial Revolution? What gives us the right to look so far down our noses at those who can't change a flat tire or use a drill? There are people available to hire for virtually anything a person might need. I don't know how to extract teeth but if my dentist makes fun of me for that, her dad is getting a fucking.

It's dumb as Hell to turn the heat off, but I think it's less dumb than the typical anti-vax stance and we can all see how common that is.

Half the people wandering around are below average and those who are average got C's in high school.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Are we really to the point where we can say someone is of average intelligence and accept that they can’t realize that no heat = cold = freezing?
    Are we not? I thought the flavour of the decade has been to cater to the lowest common denominator. We should be desensitized to it by now. Look at all the people who would rather risk dying than take a bloody vaccine. Edit: PenISMightier beat me to it.

Looking for an update. What came of this?

-ThePenIsMightier's Gender Neutral Secretary

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Damn I missed this.

This actually isnt that bad. A little while back I attended a house that had this issue... The owners went abroad for an extended period of time, had nobody actually check on the house. Exact same scenario where heat was completely off. ENTIRE house was DESTROYED. Im talking waterfalls absofuckinglutely everywhere.

Heard insurance would not cover it either due to residence not being checked on at all. Easily 200k plus in damage. Would have to gut everything.... Or just demolish the entire house.

I got off beyond lucky on this no doubt, the heat was completely off during that December cold spell. I was at the ski hill when she told me so i had 90 mins to freak out in my head over the potential scenarios and no lie i was praying that it would only be $20k in damages. Insurance wouldnt have covered mine either because she turned the heat off and nobody checked on it. All said and done she had to pay $500 for repairs to the toilet and the drywall in the closet.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    Damn I missed this.

This actually isnt that bad. A little while back I attended a house that had this issue... The owners went abroad for an extended period of time, had nobody actually check on the house. Exact same scenario where heat was completely off. ENTIRE house was DESTROYED. Im talking waterfalls absofuckinglutely everywhere.

Heard insurance would not cover it either due to residence not being checked on at all. Easily 200k plus in damage. Would have to gut everything.... Or just demolish the entire house.
    Yeah, knew people that had something similar happen. Inherited a house after death of a parent, only checked in on it once a month or so while the will was being dealt with. Didn't change insurance status on it or really do much of anything. Heat was on, but the dishwasher line blew and flooded the place for probably a solid week or two. 2/3 of the house had to be gutted to the frame, insurance didn't pay a dime.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    I got off beyond lucky on this no doubt, the heat was completely off during that December cold spell. I was at the ski hill when she told me so i had 90 mins to freak out in my head over the potential scenarios and no lie i was praying that it would only be $20k in damages. Insurance wouldnt have covered mine either because she turned the heat off and nobody checked on it. All said and done she had to pay $500 for repairs to the toilet and the drywall in the closet.
    That is AMAZING! Sooooo incredibly lucky. Good for you.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Said it before that the rental game isnt for everyone lol Real estate can be a mother fucker no doubt but for me its been awesome even with shit like this. I got lucky and bought my rentals before the booms so its beyond worth it, for now at least.

I think anyone who is holding onto their single-home rental properties right now is crazy. With the market the way it is, I think it's far more lucrative to cash-in by selling now and not having to deal with crazy/stupid tenants.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My BIL was all set to list his rental when a pipe burst in one of the upstairs bathrooms and utterly destroyed everything.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    I think anyone who is holding onto their single-home rental properties right now is crazy. With the market the way it is, I think it's far more lucrative to cash-in by selling now and not having to deal with crazy/stupid tenants.
    ^This!
    I was literally saying this to someone yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    Its a townhouse so the prices didnt go crazy like SFH and with it being a rental id be hit with major taxes, i bought it for 150k and now its maybe 330 so you can imagine the taxes and add in the realtor fees too. I did cash in on a SFH last month though and i made good money but ill also be paying around $60k to the gubment

My plan is to keep a couple rentals to use as supplementary with my $7.2 when i retire
    Last edited by Rocket1k78; 04-04-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Helped a friend once assumed he had some tools.
    Pulled out a combination screwdriver and a crescent wrench?!
    #tuckyojunk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast