Quantcast
Tenant went on a trip for 3 weeks over xmas and thought it was ok to turn heat off... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenant went on a trip for 3 weeks over xmas and thought it was ok to turn heat off...

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So… wouldn’t you still go through your rental insurance policy for repairs? Then the insurance company would go after the tenant to recover costs? If they don’t have a tenant policy, or their insurance company voids it due to being away for too long, then they’d be personally liable? I fail to see how your policy wouldn’t cover you, it’s pretty unreasonable for you to keep tabs on the coming and goings of tenants
    That depends on if there was a requirement for the place to be monitored while vacant and if that was followed. This could potentially void the policy if the requirement wasn't met and the insurance company would simply wash their hands of it.

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    That depends on if there was a requirement for the place to be monitored while vacant and if that was followed. This could potentially void the policy if the requirement wasn't met and the insurance company would simply wash their hands of it.
    again. I would be very surprised if my own insurance covered this because of the negligence and her being away. Thankfully its minor and shes paying for that and if something else happens later ill deal with it as it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Cleaners at my work must of turned off the thermostat one evening as we came in to work with it showing 16 in the building.

Next day the maintenance guy installed one of these

Name:  CG511A1000-application.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  70.3 KB
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

But it’s not a owner occupied policy. You can’t babysit tenants like that.

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Cleaners at my work must of turned off the thermostat one evening as we came in to work with it showing 16 in the building.

Next day the maintenance guy installed one of these

Name:  CG511A1000-application.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  70.3 KB
    And left the key on the box?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by topmade View Post
    I've seen this at some vacant houses for sale. You could see your breath when walking around with all the floors creaking. I hope that $50 in savings was worth it.
    Saw that as well. Brother was looking at houses a couple years ago. There was one that was foreclosed on and the bank had someone local taking care of multiple foreclosed homes. I decided to join my brother and his RE agent for a walkthough in late winter. We get there and the caretaker opened the front door and left. We get in and the thermostat was set to the lowest setting possible. Above zero but damn cold. Home inspector shows up and we turn the thermo up. Furnace kicks on and runs fine. Inspector does his thing. We go into the garage and it is below freezing. Of course this house has a tankless water heater in the garage along with a overhead heater to keep the garage warm.... which was completely shut down with gas valve closed.

Turns out, it had been like that for a few months over winter. I remember thinking to myself 'hopefully this was drained or blown out or something.' Turned the heat on and went back inside. Turned water on to check faucets and what not. Everything worked as it should. RE agent went to make a phone call in the garage and she starts yelling that there is water spraying everywhere. We all go to check it out and sure enough, tankless heater system had froze and busted some piping. Water was spraying out against the wall and draining down towards the garage drain.

RE calls the caretaker who races back over and starts arguing with us asking why we turned the water on (for inspection purposes you dumb fuck). I asked 'the better question is why did you turn the heat off in the garage during winter?' That caretaker was a fucking idiot.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Who the hell puts a tankless water heater in the garage in Alberta? That’s nuts.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Who the hell puts a tankless water heater in the garage in Alberta? That’s nuts.
    I agree. Found it very, very odd. But that being said, I was looking thru some houses for sale the other day and found a place with a hot water tank in the garage.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Canyonero

It doesn't matter what your lease says or would have not said, it wouldn't have be enforceable under the LTA. The tenant is liable due to negligence and it's a matter for the court.
    Interesting- do you have experience in these situations? That seems like a broken model. Anyone renting a house is very unlikely to have assets or an insurer that would be able to cover such damages.

This tenant is Greta-approved.

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    Interesting- do you have experience in these situations? That seems like a broken model. Anyone renting a house is very unlikely to have assets or an insurer that would be able to cover such damages.
    I am a landlord and have been for over 10 years so i have been through the LTA and have also had some "challenging" tenants. Here is what the LTA says must be in an agreement "lease".

The tenancy created by this agreement is governed by the
    Residential Tenancies Act and if there is a conflict between
    this agreement and the Act, the Act prevails.

Which means that a tenant cannot take away or waive rights in an agreement if it conflicts with the Act. However, it does state that:

that the tenant will not do or permit significant damage to
    the premises, the common areas or the property of which
    they form a part;

And goes on to describe remedies in the event of significant damage caused by the tenant which can include termination of tenancy and recovery of damages. This must be applied for to the courts.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

As stupid as this seems to most of us, I think it's largely because we're men.

Men are generally the ones expected to learn how to maintain the physical aspects of a household. We make repairs to the house, it's contents, and the vehicles. Over time we may have learned from our fathers, the internet, or from experience. So virtually all of us know it is idiotic to turn the heat completely off - yet, I can appreciate that someone who has had no experience in any of that wouldn't really think about the repercussions. There isn't anyone in there who needs the heat, so why keep it on?

Back in my 20's I had a girlfriend who wanted to make coffee, yet had no idea how to use a coffee maker. I'm not gonna lie - I looked down on her at times for being not the smartest woman in the world and to me, this just seemed outright idiotic. It's a fucking coffee maker. Figure it out. But the fact is, she simply had never used a coffee maker in her life and paired with her (lets call it) average intelligence, it was years later that I realized I wasn't exactly being fair.

Same thing here. Woman of average intelligence, who has no experience - doing what the rest of us feel is really stupid, but with all the best intentions.

Idiot.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post

Men are generally the ones expected to learn how to maintain the physical aspects of a household. We make repairs to the house, it's contents, and the vehicles. Over time we may have learned from our fathers, the internet, or from experience. So virtually all of us know it is idiotic to turn the heat completely off - yet, I can appreciate that someone who has had no experience in any of that wouldn't really think about the repercussions. There isn't anyone in there who needs the heat, so why keep it on?

Back in my 20's I had a girlfriend who wanted to make coffee, yet had no idea how to use a coffee maker. I'm not gonna lie - I looked down on her at times for being not the smartest woman in the world and to me, this just seemed outright idiotic. It's a fucking coffee maker. Figure it out. But the fact is, she simply had never used a coffee maker in her life and paired with her (lets call it) average intelligence, it was years later that I realized I wasn't exactly being fair.

Same thing here. Woman of average intelligence, who has no experience - doing what the rest of us feel is really stupid, but with all the best intentions.
    Name:  Capture22.PNG
Views: 423
Size:  560.7 KB

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Not knowing something, and asking about it is one thing… not knowing something and doing it without any research is just stupid.

She had a boyfriend she could have asked, perhaps a father, for sure a landlord… and… fucking google it!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Name:  17061C2A-9F0B-4027-8266-F50354349605.jpeg
Views: 361
Size:  19.5 KB
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I think it's less a gender issue and more of a how you're raised issue. I'm blaming parents.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I think it's less a gender issue and more of a how you're raised issue. I'm blaming parents.
    Agreed. I know a handful of men who didn't grow up with handy parents and now as adults themselves they couldn't change a tire or own a drill.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Not knowing something, and asking about it is one thing… not knowing something and doing it without any research is just stupid.
    Why would she think to ask about it if she didn't think there was any reason to ask about it? By this logic, we should know everything because we had an opportunity to ask about anything.

...but I see your point. You'd think that somewhere in that back of her mind she must have asked herself "Is this safe to do? Do I know if it's safe to do? Should I ask?"

Unfortunately, I'd be willing to be at least half the public walk around without this mindset. The female half.

And as far as Shelby's contention it is more a parenting issue, yes, I agree.... but parents don't typically teach their female kids the same things they teach their male children. That might be changing over time, but generally speaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post

Idiot.
    I bet she sucked dick better than you.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Well at some point we’re going to have to define stupid, and that’s my line in the sand

I would agree with half the population not having that voice in the back of their mind though… but probably equal between the genders, as the average person is pretty stupid.

Some women ask questions… the blonde I keep around the house asks me hilarious ones all the time

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast