Quantcast
Cold Showers and Cold Therapy - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cold Showers and Cold Therapy

Default Cold Showers and Cold Therapy

Growing up in the Praries, and enjoying most winter activities in all but the coldest temps.. I think I, and a lot of us do get plenty of cold exposure which in turn is great for the metabolism and immune system.

I for one can tell you that a full hard day out skiing on a cold -15 day or more, that your body goes through full thermogenesis and all you want to do all evening if eat and sleep. Same kinda goes for me if I'm ice fishing without a hut, almost deliberately also to just get that cold exposure.

As of late, I've been trying to reduce my reliance on excess layers and though I've taken cold showered in the past to cool down from say an intense HIIT - type workout or a hard hockey game, I'm now going to just 'Brave' taking 2x 3min pure cold a showers a day.

Curious if anyone else is getting into this, as honestly it does feel great afterwards. I've also found myself weening off of my coffee addition as I've been sleeping better, with the aid of pure CBD oil to help deal with some chronic injury pain.

My Ride
    *The First*

I've done plenty of rounds of cold showers. It's amazing how quickly it doesn't become a big deal, but there's a mental exercise and some breathing involved, so I can see how folks would think it's therapeutic.
    I did it for about half of this summer.
    Would recommend. Would also mock someone who can't do it.

My Ride
    Ram truck and some bikes

Been doing ice baths for a little over 2 years now. Was up to 2-3 times/week but now usually just once after a hockey game or something. I use it to recover from injuries or workouts. Has improved my recovery time 10 fold.
    Was looking into setting up a freezer in the basement for the ice baths as filling the tub seems wasteful. Haven't pulled the pin on anything yet.

Something cool I have tried in the city is cryo-therapy. Did wonders for a few serious injuries years ago. Recovery time was unbelievable after a few sessions.
    https://bronzebaxxtanning.com/cryotherapy/

My Ride
    *The First*

Ah, that reminds me of a spa I went to that had plunge pools. Trying to remember where... I think it was fancy so maybe Qua in Las Vegas. It was pretty amazing going from squealing hot to very cold and then back, etc.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I always enjoyed a hot steam, then quick cold shower, then repeat!
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I've been on and off with this for a couple of years, just started again in the new year and I'm on nine consecutive days of cold shower mornings. I'm a big believer in it but my mental game breaks down sometimes and I quit for long periods.

At my peak I was doing 20 minutes swims in lake Minnewanka without a shiver or an after drop.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I've been following the Win Hof method for quite some time.
    Cold showers are a huge part of it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'd also recommend a cold water shave if you haven't tried that before as well, especially if you lather with a brush and soap. It's really refreshing.

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been following the Win Hof method for quite some time.
    Cold showers are a huge part of it.
    This is probably the largest proponent as to why people are doing this now... however it is a bit granola with his breathing and eating once a day, I mean green tea can only keep you so full lol

I spent time in Sweden, where they also believe in boosting of the immune system with cold exposure even at an early age. Example being they have fully enclosed baby strollers that they just leave outside when their babies falls asleep for onwards of an hour. They picnic until its very cold, and truly believe that there is no bad weather, just bad clothing.

That said, Scandinavia's weather though similar isn't nearly as harsh of that of Canada..

Though I think it is more Finnish to focus on that Sauna/Ice plunge and subsequently Icelandic to go from hot pools to cool pools, I've actually "ice fished" in a Sauna Ice fishing shack, where you get out and either jump in the snow or into a freshly chainsaw'd hole to plunge into.

These days my version of the same thing is using my infrared Sauna and or when I visit Lussier hot springs, I'll go from the hot pool right to the river, even up to -15 days.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

On the topic of health and resilience and mental fortitude, I think people need to get used to the idea that being hungry is not a bad thing. Fasting may have other benefits, but I think the biggest one is teaching yourself to separate the sensations of your body, and the actions you choose to take.

I'm bad for this, I love snacking, so maybe that's a personal take. But noticing that you are hungry and choosing not to eat is a powerful bit of self-ownership. Cold plunge etc may have some of the similar benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Good thread. I slowly started doing warm/cold showers. Definately feel better afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Good thread. I slowly started doing warm/cold showers. Definately feel better afterwards.
    I've been reading up on the Wim Hof method and I'm not sold on the "breathing"technique re: Alkaline blood and other voodooish Buteyko breathing technique - though mouth breathing is a bad habit for several reasons

I've actually just stopped doing my cold baths as I've come down with a pretty bad cold, and though I tested negative, you don't want to strain the immune system until you're back to health.

What I've been doing to gauge "how cold" as opposed to how long to be in a cold shower, as the cold temperatures do seem to vary a bit with ambient... is how "pink" and tingly my skin gets. A couple times when it was -30ish out, even just 90 seconds in straight cold almost gave me what felt was frostbite on my ears.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I take out the garbage without putting on a jacket. #hardcore.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Would also mock someone who can't do it.
    I twist the hot knob as far as it'll go. (Hot knob is not a euphemism.) Cold showers are for poor people, people who enjoy sleeping in a tent recreationally, and sociopaths.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I'd also recommend a cold water shave if you haven't tried that before as well, especially if you lather with a brush and soap. It's really refreshing.
    Really, I just started shaving in a hot shower to open up all the pores lol. It's so good that I don't know why I never done that before.

A cold shave sounds absolutely horrible, but I never tried. I just know using a cold shaver with cold water is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    I've been reading up on the Wim Hof method and I'm not sold on the "breathing"technique re: Alkaline blood and other voodooish Buteyko breathing technique - though mouth breathing is a bad habit for several reasons
    There are multiple forms of meditative "mouth" breathing that have been used for thousands of years.
    I have personally found significant benefits to my personal and athletic life with the Wim Hof breathing technique.

Do what works for you

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    There are multiple forms of meditative "mouth" breathing that have been used for thousands of years.
    I have personally found significant benefits to my personal and athletic life with the Wim Hof breathing technique.

Do what works for you
    I'm still having issues with jumping into a "winter" cold shower first thing in the AM... if I start with a couple minutes of warmish water to lather, then I can get up to 3 minutes cold.

Mid-day though, even without a workout... I can jump in upwards of 4 minutes in direct cold.

I've been able to even jump into a couple rivers out here in Invermere for a swim, but probably should have been more prepared, as I couldn't shake the shivering afterwords OR worse, had an immediate onset of tiredness to the point I could barely walk back to the truck lol.. like the "get out now" or you may not be able to get out

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Be a little careful with the "wild" cold stuff. We need ya around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Be a little careful with the "wild" cold stuff. We need ya around here.
    anyone feel like doing some cold water swimming on the Bow?

My Ride
    V8s

Actual pic of @r3ccOs

Name:  nNgaqx.gif
Views: 211
Size:  6.85 MB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast