Quantcast
Cold Showers and Cold Therapy - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cold Showers and Cold Therapy

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

People are really doing this?

Damn that's balls.

Is there any science based evidence it does anything?

I'd think about trying it if it's guaranteed to work and not just placebo for suffering through it.

I think there is health benefits in doing this.

I do 30 seconds of cold shower after my hot shower. Gives me a good system shock(blood rushing to surface of the skin, triggers your immune system) and I feel great and not cold after.

Also read somewhere they did a study on people who took a cold shower 30-90 seconds helped prevent getting a cold by like 30%, longer duration didn't help more so I just stick with 30 seconds.

Doesn't hurt and helps you wake up in the mornings. You guys should try it for a month and report back. haha

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there is health benefits in doing this.

I do 30 seconds of cold shower after my hot shower. Gives me a good system shock(blood rushing to surface of the skin, triggers your immune system) and I feel great and not cold after.

Also read somewhere they did a study on people who took a cold shower 30-90 seconds helped prevent getting a cold by like 30%, longer duration didn't help more so I just stick with 30 seconds.

Doesn't hurt and helps you wake up in the mornings. You guys should try it for a month and report back. haha
    Tried it this morning. Jesus fucking popsicle stick. Crawled back into bed with an extra blanket to warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    Tried it this morning. Jesus fucking popsicle stick. Crawled back into bed with an extra blanket to warm up.
    LOL, sounds intense.

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

LOL, sounds intense.
    Right! Way easier to keep injecting HGH and taking MK677.

Right! Way easier to keep injecting HGH and taking MK677.

as per Wim's podcasts - one on Russell Brand's show, he claims quantitive evidence when he was subjected to a controlled test using e-coli - with his excessive white blood count mitigating the infection.

I've seen the Dutch study where they say they saw a 30% less reduction in "call in sick" - which could be the result of a couple things:

1. the "shock" - inducing a noradrenaline and dopamine, waking up the body and then feeling "good" after and I can attest that my "mood" is better, as I am also alert
    2. lets believe that immunity is improved with cold adaptation, increase in metabolic, the creation of brown fat and increase in white blood cells
    3. Just the ability to "get through shit" - if you can tough out a 2-3 minute cold shower first thing in the morning... that mental barrier just opens up your capacity to deal with things. I think its similar to a workout that way as well... When I was consistently working out intensely, it felt like there was nothing you couldn't handle

The other thing I think is... the onset of "Fatigue" is real - other than working out, nothing has improved my ability to sleep more. I am going to chalk it up to the body having to force itself to warm up, resulting in the intense metabolic response causing me to feel hungry and tired. Oddly its like the same thing after I spend a day out ice fishing when its just too cold out...

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    as per Wim's podcasts - one on Russell Brand's show, he claims quantitive evidence when he was subjected to a controlled test using e-coli - with his excessive white blood count mitigating the infection.

I've seen the Dutch study where they say they saw a 30% less reduction in "call in sick" - which could be the result of a couple things:

1. the "shock" - inducing a noradrenaline and dopamine, waking up the body and then feeling "good" after and I can attest that my "mood" is better, as I am also alert
    2. lets believe that immunity is improved with cold adaptation, increase in metabolic, the creation of brown fat and increase in white blood cells
    3. Just the ability to "get through shit" - if you can tough out a 2-3 minute cold shower first thing in the morning... that mental barrier just opens up your capacity to deal with things. I think its similar to a workout that way as well... When I was consistently working out intensely, it felt like there was nothing you couldn't handle

The other thing I think is... the onset of "Fatigue" is real - other than working out, nothing has improved my ability to sleep more. I am going to chalk it up to the body having to force itself to warm up, resulting in the intense metabolic response causing me to feel hungry and tired. Oddly its like the same thing after I spend a day out ice fishing when its just too cold out...
    So your cold morning shower legit makes you sleep better?

My Ride
    IS350

Have done a cold shower every morning for over a year. I wouldn't say it gets easier but once you get used to the feeling it's no different than anything else in life you'd rather avoid but come out from the experience intact. Haven't tried any other method than getting right in with the water as cold as it can be for ~5min. I take a warmer shower later in the day after working out and do the soap/shampoo gimmick then.

I'm at the point now where now in the AM I can jump in 4-5 into a straight cold shower, and do this again later in the day (say 5-6 PM)

Whenever I go to the hot springs, in a given evening I'll jump in the river for approximately 1-2 minutes for maybe 4-5 sets. That said, I come out stiff and dependent on the ambient temperature, I typically like to go back into "warm-ish" water immediately.

I did a polar plunge last weekend and managed to "lounge" in the water for about 2 minutes, however this time when I got out, dried off and changed... I did end up with some uncontrollable shivers. Clearly this means I still have some work to do to be acclimatized to open water cold swimming.

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

I'm at the point now where now in the AM I can jump in 4-5 into a straight cold shower, and do this again later in the day (say 5-6 PM)

Whenever I go to the hot springs, in a given evening I'll jump in the river for approximately 1-2 minutes for maybe 4-5 sets. That said, I come out stiff and dependent on the ambient temperature, I typically like to go back into "warm-ish" water immediately.

I did a polar plunge last weekend and managed to "lounge" in the water for about 2 minutes, however this time when I got out, dried off and changed... I did end up with some uncontrollable shivers. Clearly this means I still have some work to do to be acclimatized to open water cold swimming.
    Fuck that. I tried it again, and NOPE

I mean, I already gave up Gluten, weed, and cheeseburgers.

I decided I'm not giving up another thing I enjoy. Nice hot shower.

I admire the strength of those that can do this.

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

So what about cold weather?

It's -6 on my deck and I just stood out there for 7 minutes in just my boxers.

LOL, you'll just get a cold or hypothermia if you stayed a little longer.

I think it's the speed that water can drop the surface temperature of your skin is the secret. Enough to "shock" or "reboot" your immune system.

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

LOL, you'll just get a cold or hypothermia if you stayed a little longer.

I think it's the speed that water can drop the surface temperature of your skin is the secret. Enough to "shock" or "reboot" your immune system.
    I don't know. You see athletes taking ice baths for minutes at a time. Water would carry heat away from your body at a much higher rate than cold still air.

I'm going to try it in the morning, this time with gloves and earmuffs to prevent frostbite and walk around my deck as long as i can stand.

I don't know. You see athletes taking ice baths for minutes at a time. Water would carry heat away from your body at a much higher rate than cold still air.

I'm going to try it in the morning, this time with gloves and earmuffs to prevent frostbite and walk around my deck as long as i can stand.

There is so much out there in terms of techniques, approaches and anecdotal benefits... from what I am able to unpack and paraphrase is that your body and mind have a good ability to adapt to cold with the initial exposure is most important with triggering the fight/flight response to releases Norepinephrine and dopamine; making you feel good and suppresses inflammation. I also do believe it is scientifically proven that cold exposure increases the white cell count in the body, however the required duration and method hasn't yet been quantified.

To gain the "benefit" and to build adaptation requires exposure to temperatures less than 15c. Water is 10x faster at heat transfer than Air and likely why is the preferred method. Cold tap water ranges from 5.5c in Winter (Canada/Northen US) to 7.5c. Though they say the longer and the colder you can push yourself, the more the benefit, however a 2-3 min cold shower daily is what I understand as being the minimum.

I can only speak for myself but my journey started from the most humble beginnings, with reluctance as I just couldn't quite do it, until I could.

Morning Routine: I run the tap and jump into a cold shower for four minutes as the first thing when I wake up. I do use this routine to wash my hair/brush teeth and honestly is the most horrific experience which I keep putting myself through it. My house is about 19c, which means I can warm back up safely with just a t-shirt/shorts... but it does take a while, with my feet by far taking the longest.
    Note, I come out looking pink like a sunburnt piggy

Post workout: Especially if I do anything intense, my HR is high and core is warm.. I can easily withstand a cold shower for 10+ minutes and even if I do, it never takes nearly as long to warm back up.

Winter swimming: I've only done this a handful of time without being beside a hot spring/tub... You will need to incrementally build tolerance to ensure safety. I definitely recommend that your core is already warm... either from being in a Sauna/Hot tub or through vigorous exercise.
    You will never ever be in colder Water, but with that said, the water will also never be colder than 1-2C (32) even if it is -15 outside.. I am at the point that as long as I am "warm-ish" going in, I can submerge myself into these temps for about 2 minutes safely and have pushed it longer in past (5 min). I haven't yet figured out my limits, but also recognize that pushing the limits in these conditions are very unwelcoming or possibly fatal.

With any sort of cold exposure, your body wasoconstricts your capillaries/veins in your extremities, decreasing bloodflow to the skin to keep your "CORE" as warm as possible. This then kinda turns your skin/fat into a "wet-suit" which though becomes superchilled, now provide a form of insulation. However blood held within your extremities will also have become super cold as well.

Afterdrop
    I have experienced this twice and never ever do I want to again. This occurred once when jumping back into the hot springs from spending a bit too long in the river and again when I jumped into a hot-tub after an Arctic-plunge with prolonged exposure in the lake.
    Its the oddest thing to be shivering uncontrollably in water that is 104f. Actually worse, with what felt like my organs and gut cramping. I later realized this was "afterdrop". Against what seems logical and best judgement, by jumping in to warm/hot temperatures vasodilates all previously constricted capillaries and veins and launches all that super chilled blood right into your core, dropping at a rate that is clearly unsafe.
    So now when I do go outdoor swimming I - Pat dry, put on layers, drink something warm and do some jumping jacks

NOTE I have YET to experience Afterdrop from cold showers, even if I jump into a warm bath with the kids. Its likely I can just never really get my extremities that cold through a cold shower.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 03-05-2022 at 09:28 PM.

Tip to get through it.
    Deep diaphragmatic breathing.

Get your rythym before exposing yourself to the cold, focus on breath and maintain that rythym.

There is so much out there in terms of techniques, approaches and anecdotal benefits... from what I am able to unpack and paraphrase is that your body and mind have a good ability to adapt to cold with the initial exposure is most important with triggering the fight/flight response to releases Norepinephrine and dopamine; making you feel good and suppresses inflammation. I also do believe it is scientifically proven that cold exposure increases the white cell count in the body, however the required duration and method hasn't yet been quantified.

To gain the "benefit" and to build adaptation requires exposure to temperatures less than 15c. Water is 10x faster at heat transfer than Air and likely why is the preferred method. Cold tap water ranges from 5.5c in Winter (Canada/Northen US) to 7.5c. Though they say the longer and the colder you can push yourself, the more the benefit, however a 2-3 min cold shower daily is what I understand as being the minimum.

I can only speak for myself but my journey started from the most humble beginnings, with reluctance as I just couldn't quite do it, until I could.

Morning Routine: I run the tap and jump into a cold shower for four minutes as the first thing when I wake up. I do use this routine to wash my hair/brush teeth and honestly is the most horrific experience which I keep putting myself through it. My house is about 19c, which means I can warm back up safely with just a t-shirt/shorts... but it does take a while, with my feet by far taking the longest.
    Note, I come out looking pink like a sunburnt piggy

Post workout: Especially if I do anything intense, my HR is high and core is warm.. I can easily withstand a cold shower for 10+ minutes and even if I do, it never takes nearly as long to warm back up.

Winter swimming: I've only done this a handful of time without being beside a hot spring/tub... You will need to incrementally build tolerance to ensure safety. I definitely recommend that your core is already warm... either from being in a Sauna/Hot tub or through vigorous exercise.
    You will never ever be in colder Water, but with that said, the water will also never be colder than 1-2C (32) even if it is -15 outside.. I am at the point that as long as I am "warm-ish" going in, I can submerge myself into these temps for about 2 minutes safely and have pushed it longer in past (5 min). I haven't yet figured out my limits, but also recognize that pushing the limits in these conditions are very unwelcoming or possibly fatal.

With any sort of cold exposure, your body wasoconstricts your capillaries/veins in your extremities, decreasing bloodflow to the skin to keep your "CORE" as warm as possible. This then kinda turns your skin/fat into a "wet-suit" which though becomes superchilled, now provide a form of insulation. However blood held within your extremities will also have become super cold as well.

Afterdrop
    I have experienced this twice and never ever do I want to again. This occurred once when jumping back into the hot springs from spending a bit too long in the river and again when I jumped into a hot-tub after an Arctic-plunge with prolonged exposure in the lake.
    Its the oddest thing to be shivering uncontrollably in water that is 104f. Actually worse, with what felt like my organs and gut cramping. I later realized this was "afterdrop". Against what seems logical and best judgement, by jumping in to warm/hot temperatures vasodilates all previously constricted capillaries and veins and launches all that super chilled blood right into your core, dropping at a rate that is clearly unsafe.
    So now when I do go outdoor swimming I - Pat dry, put on layers, drink something warm and do some jumping jacks

NOTE I have YET to experience Afterdrop from cold showers, even if I jump into a warm bath with the kids. Its likely I can just never really get my extremities that cold through a cold shower.
    Outdoor swimming

As I can extend my cold showers as long as I want now... (I do a min of 4 mins but could stay much longer) - I've now been doing the occasional cold baths and outdoor swim.

Being that we're in the great white north, I measured our tap temperature in this month at 39F, which is 4c and about as cold as an Ice Bath. I also have recently been (between +- 4c) outdoor swimming in the Lake. With both, the initial shock, stress and Pain start to subside around a minute and half in... after that it feels like you can stay in for just about as long as you want.

Even though you may feel good and want to stay for an extended period, not only is the risk to Hypothermia greater, but also the duration to required with warming up.... Afterdrop is very real, and can result in hypothermia if you try to warm up too quickly using a bath/shower, a fire, heck even a heater from a car. This basically means you have to stay colder the longer your stay in the cold in order not drop your core temperature down further.

tips... put on insulating layers and drink a hot beverage as warming from the inside out is the easiest way to prevent hypothermia... deep breathing and "I feel" some very light movement such as walking also helps accelerate the process.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 03-24-2022 at 08:36 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2