Quantcast
Roofer wanted to install additional vents - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Roofer wanted to install additional vents

Default Roofer wanted to install additional vents

Hey Beyond,

Looking to have an additional vent or two installed in a 2 story house in Cochrane. Looking for a Wirlybird style or possibly a solar power vent - However it is on the North side of the roof so I'm unsure if it needs direct sunlight to operate.

If anyone is a roofer or can recommend a company - PM me!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

subscribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

tell me you had attic rain without telling me you had attic rain?

My Ride
    ute

i thought they say to not get the whirly ones?

I think half of Calgary is currently looking for someone to install more roof vents. Attic rain is damaging a lot of homes

My Ride
    *The First*

Monday was a special fuckin day for soaking wet air to thoroughly blow into everyone's roof cavities that were still at -15°C. I got one tiny spot and was able to get up in there quickly enough to prevent a couple more, but what a PitA.

My Ride
    Trucks

I had A. Clark in Cochrane redo my roof a few years ago. Very good outfit.

Haha yup attic rain! Poor ventilation from our Calbridge home. Of course they don't want to fix a mistake so I'll just get it sorted before the next cold snap!

I've tried AClarke but no call back yet. Also waiting on Magic siding and roofing.

I wanted an active vent to help draw some of that air out!
    Last edited by B69; 01-12-2022 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Typo

How did you guys determine if you had attic rain? I assume climbed up?

I haven't seen any signs of it anywhere..

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m my old place we saw brown stains on the ceiling and just assumed attic rain.

Had builder add some vents.

If there are no signs it’s not likely a problem.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    How did you guys determine if you had attic rain? I assume climbed up?

I haven't seen any signs of it anywhere..
    Sounds of dripping and if you open the hatch, it looks all wet and drippy. Mine was bad, glad we caught it and threw a couple of fans up there to dry shit out over 24 hours. Only got through to a single 2x2" spot in one room, glad we caught it, was looking very wet up there and drops all over the place. Probable about 7 drops coming out every few seconds just in the hatch hole, so extrapolate that to the whole roof it was a ton.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I replaced my roof last year, paid them to cut 3 addt vents. Wanted them to use a couple of these Dura Flo Turbo vents but they didn't want to.

No leaks in ceiling that I see. Am I safe?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    I replaced my roof last year, paid them to cut 3 addt vents. Wanted them to use a couple of these Dura Flo Turbo vents but they didn't want to.

No leaks in ceiling that I see. Am I safe?
    You're in Edmonton, so attic rain will *never be a problem, for you.
    *Climate Emergency, but maybe even that is only in Calgary...

Ironically, the prevalence of this round of attic rain could've only been prevented by shutting roof vents and magically closing soffits. That's my belief, anyway.
    Although we have frequent Chinooks and wind, this round brought some uncharacteristically WET air through everywhere while the roofs/attics were still cold. There's nothing anyone can do about that.

I live in Cochrane and use Rippys for all my roofing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Sounds of dripping and if you open the hatch, it looks all wet and drippy. Mine was bad, glad we caught it and threw a couple of fans up there to dry shit out over 24 hours. Only got through to a single 2x2" spot in one room, glad we caught it, was looking very wet up there and drops all over the place. Probable about 7 drops coming out every few seconds just in the hatch hole, so extrapolate that to the whole roof it was a ton. ]
    Seal the edge around the trim. Make sure the hatch box has vapour barrier and insulation. Right now it's probably a giant heat/moisture entryway. When I got my attic topped up the guys filled it up with loose fill and put a piece of fiberglass insulation on top.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    You're in Edmonton, so attic rain will *never be a problem, for you.
    *Climate Emergency, but maybe even that is only in Calgary...

Ironically, the prevalence of this round of attic rain could've only been prevented by shutting roof vents and magically closing soffits. That's my belief, anyway.
    Although we have frequent Chinooks and wind, this round brought some uncharacteristically WET air through everywhere while the roofs/attics were still cold. There's nothing anyone can do about that.
    Sure you can get a little moisture brought into your attic space from wind/rain/moist air but attic rain is typically cause by warm and MOIST air from your house leaking into the cold attic space. When its minus fucking 45 for weeks straight that warm MOIST air leaking into your attic condenses and freezes on your trusses and on the u/s of your roof sheathing. It then slowly builds up over multiple days/weeks to create a whole shit ton of ice build up. Like this:

Then the chinook rolls in and it melts super quickly, drips down onto your attic insulation, finds its way down to your ceiling vapour barrier then travels to any holes (staples, light fixture, bath fans, etc) and stains your ceiling. The more ice you had the more water you’ll get when it melts

The real fix is having a continuous ceiling vapour barrier so warm MOIST air doesn’t leak into the attic. Then you don’t get the ice build up and big melt off when a chinook rolls in.

You can also add more ventilation (vented soffits, roof vent, power vents, etc) to move more air out of the attic quicker when the big melts happen but that not really fixing the core issue.

If there's that much moisture up there, the access hatch probably isn't the biggest concern. My guess is shitty install of bathroom exhaust vents. Go check on them, turn them on and get into attic and check for drafts. Tape it up/insulate whatever and stop the source of all the moisture.

Check to see if soffit vents are obstructed.

Last step is to ensure enough roof vents. Installing a ton of vents or a powered one will just mask the real problem.
    ---

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    If there's that much moisture up there, the access hatch probably isn't the biggest concern. My guess is shitty install of bathroom exhaust vents. Go check on them, turn them on and get into attic and check for drafts. Tape it up/insulate whatever and stop the source of all the moisture.

Check to see if soffit vents are obstructed.

Last step is to ensure enough roof vents. Installing a ton of vents or a powered one will just mask the real problem.
    This guy knows whats up.

Its usually a crappy seal on a bathroom exhaust duct... which is literally dumping extra warm and extra moist air into the attic. Next check your attic access hatch to make sure its sealed, can add some weatherstripping and a latch to help keep that tight. Also check attic pot lights (crappy vapour barrier seal) and make sure you dont have any uninstalled spots or areas.

I went up into my attic before I got it topped up, I found a couple of open holes where electrical wiring was being brought into the ceiling, one was bringing in so much air it was whistling lol. I filled them with fire resistant spray foam. And yeah, check the bathroom vents. Amazingly whoever did mine did a great job of sealing them.

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    This 100%.

It's how the bathroom fan exhaust meets the roof sheathing. I had a problem last year and the builder brought in a building envelope company and did pressure tests and an attic inspection and recommended the exhaust vents to be sealed better to the roof sheathing. Builder used a ton of acousti seal around the area and this year so far so good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast