Quantcast
Roofer wanted to install additional vents - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roofer wanted to install additional vents

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure you can get a little moisture brought into your attic space from wind/rain/moist air but attic rain is typically cause by warm and MOIST air from your house leaking into the cold attic space. When its minus fucking 45 for weeks straight that warm MOIST air leaking into your attic condenses and freezes on your trusses and on the u/s of your roof sheathing. It then slowly builds up over multiple days/weeks to create a whole shit ton of ice build up. Like this:

Then the chinook rolls in and it melts super quickly, drips down onto your attic insulation, finds its way down to your ceiling vapour barrier then travels to any holes (staples, light fixture, bath fans, etc) and stains your ceiling. The more ice you had the more water you’ll get when it melts

The real fix is having a continuous ceiling vapour barrier so warm MOIST air doesn’t leak into the attic. Then you don’t get the ice build up and big melt off when a chinook rolls in.

You can also add more ventilation (vented soffits, roof vent, power vents, etc) to move more air out of the attic quicker when the big melts happen but that not really fixing the core issue.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I understand that, completely. It's normally caused by air leaking in from the living space.
    I'm just saying that I think the extreme prevalence from Monday, January 10, 2022 was a unique case of weather. And those cases are very, very minor where a few hundred droplets fall here & there and most don't consistently fall in the same spot long enough to get through the insulation and soak a spot on the ceiling.

I believe I'm right in saying that if it's normal attic rain, the frost will be near the leak. Or certainly the frost will be heaviest near the leak. Would everyone agree with that? How could it possibly travel very far, at all, in air and around surfaces that are dozens of degrees below that air's dew point?

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Well fuck me my bathroom exhaust fan got plugged during the -30 spell in december. I think the flapper would tend to stick so we would need to run it regularly and you could hear the backpressure but it would release the flap after 30 seconds or so then operate normally. Well this year with the big snowfall it got stuck good so I decided not to use it until it warmed up and try to defrost it well then. Well that was a mistake as today I ran for the first time and got a 6" wet spot at the corner. It may be ice within the duct or on the outside of the can, not sure. Not looking forward to going up to the attic hatch and maneuvering the insulation back over the hatch after. I was up there 2 yr ago and everything looked fine and good with no signs of moisture. But definitely have some sort of problem with the fan vent up onm the roof I think. If its not too much moisture I might just dry everything out real well, bleach, prime and paint but may just chop that portion of drywall out and patch. Fun.

Name:  IMG_20220116_1530124.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  542.2 KB
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Ok minor update. Ran the fan for 2 hrs and my ceiling has decided to mind fuck me. Completely dry to the naked eye. Pics show a bit of lingering stain. Wtf.

Name:  IMG_20220116_1903399.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  96.2 KB
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Yea ours froze over around Xmas as we were gone and it didn’t run for a week or so. As soon as it warmed up we ran it all day. They typically move enough air to dry themselves out. No harm no foul.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

And fucking jinxed it. Our fan dripped overnight and made a mess on the floor. Ran the fan all day and still getting some dripping. Just climbed into the attic tonight and it’s tough to see this spot but no frost or moisture at all. Super weird. Maybe there was so much frost build up it’s finally melting out, but then why last night overnight did it start pissing?

Make sure the pipe has about 2-3 feet flat on the part connecting to the fan.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Make sure the pipe has about 2-3 feet flat on the part connecting to the fan.
    It has a flat spot. Remember checking before drywall. Also been in the house for 3 years and never had this issue before.

My Ride
    Car

It has a flat spot. Remember checking before drywall. Also been in the house for 3 years and never had this issue before.
    Ours did this 2 years ago and it was just the part where ducting connects needed to be retapped on both sides. Was letting the condensation from bathrooom vent leak out and then run down outside of pipe. Could have been this and snow melt from roof if u had any left with warm weather yesterday

Very good point. There’s bath fan tape, use that.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by cars5431 View Post
    Ours did this 2 years ago and it was just the part where ducting connects needed to be retapped on both sides. Was letting the condensation from bathrooom vent leak out and then run down outside of pipe. Could have been this and snow melt from roof if u had any left with warm weather yesterday
    I’m thinking that maybe. But why dripping in the middle of the night as it cools down?

Also cold breeze coming in now. Hmmm.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

We had the breeze too. Im pretty sure that happens when the roof damper/flapper gets frozen open. So cold air is constantly leaking into the tube and cooling down bthe fan can. If the leak is coming from air condensing on the underside of the can/fan itself I think that is the problem.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Ironically, the prevalence of this round of attic rain could've only been prevented by shutting roof vents and magically closing soffits. That's my belief, anyway.
    Although we have frequent Chinooks and wind, this round brought some uncharacteristically WET air through everywhere while the roofs/attics were still cold. There's nothing anyone can do about that.
    Look up Conditioned Attic. It's a semi-new building method where the roof is non-vented and makes up part of the conditioned space. The soffits are sealed up and insulation is installed right against the roof itself. This is the method I am doing for my new house build.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Plus a loft up there is Kindof neat living space, potentially.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

A fully heated, cooled and livable attic space is a neat idea, but it needs to be planned from the start with air returns etc. Not sure why it's uncommon. Probably adds to the cost of the building, or the height to make that space large enough to be pleasant to walk around in.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    A fully heated, cooled and livable attic space is a neat idea, but it needs to be planned from the start with air returns etc. Not sure why it's uncommon. Probably adds to the cost of the building, or the height to make that space large enough to be pleasant to walk around in.
    We had one in our first house when we lived in Medicine Hat. It was a good play area for us kids and later my cousin even lived up there while going to college. I suppose it could probably also make a good art room.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Plus a loft up there is Kindof neat living space, potentially.
    My house will have a natural engineered loft already, but the other side that does not will probably be a a good storage space. I will have to see what the trusses up there look like, but yah. Another benefit of a conditioned space is that I will be able to run most of my heating/cooling up there instead of taking up space elsewhere or having to drop down ceilings. New house is slab on grade, so no basement.

My Ride
    *The First*

I’m thinking that maybe. But why dripping in the middle of the night as it cools down?

Also cold breeze coming in now. Hmmm.
    I agree that your problem is very baffling! I hope you can figure it out.
    My gut says that it's not a leak but that the conservation is gathering IN the exit vent and then making its way back in to the house.
    Just a guess though... I'm not sure why I think that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

People love their flat roofs

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Do they though?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Do they though?
    Well. The builders seem to.

fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast