Quantcast
Roofer wanted to install additional vents - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Roofer wanted to install additional vents

My Ride
    #SadLife

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure you can get a little moisture brought into your attic space from wind/rain/moist air but attic rain is typically cause by warm and MOIST air from your house leaking into the cold attic space. When its minus fucking 45 for weeks straight that warm MOIST air leaking into your attic condenses and freezes on your trusses and on the u/s of your roof sheathing. It then slowly builds up over multiple days/weeks to create a whole shit ton of ice build up. Like this:

Then the chinook rolls in and it melts super quickly, drips down onto your attic insulation, finds its way down to your ceiling vapour barrier then travels to any holes (staples, light fixture, bath fans, etc) and stains your ceiling. The more ice you had the more water youíll get when it melts

The real fix is having a continuous ceiling vapour barrier so warm MOIST air doesnít leak into the attic. Then you donít get the ice build up and big melt off when a chinook rolls in.

You can also add more ventilation (vented soffits, roof vent, power vents, etc) to move more air out of the attic quicker when the big melts happen but that not really fixing the core issue.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I understand that, completely. It's normally caused by air leaking in from the living space.
    I'm just saying that I think the extreme prevalence from Monday, January 10, 2022 was a unique case of weather. And those cases are very, very minor where a few hundred droplets fall here & there and most don't consistently fall in the same spot long enough to get through the insulation and soak a spot on the ceiling.

I believe I'm right in saying that if it's normal attic rain, the frost will be near the leak. Or certainly the frost will be heaviest near the leak. Would everyone agree with that? How could it possibly travel very far, at all, in air and around surfaces that are dozens of degrees below that air's dew point?

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Well fuck me my bathroom exhaust fan got plugged during the -30 spell in december. I think the flapper would tend to stick so we would need to run it regularly and you could hear the backpressure but it would release the flap after 30 seconds or so then operate normally. Well this year with the big snowfall it got stuck good so I decided not to use it until it warmed up and try to defrost it well then. Well that was a mistake as today I ran for the first time and got a 6" wet spot at the corner. It may be ice within the duct or on the outside of the can, not sure. Not looking forward to going up to the attic hatch and maneuvering the insulation back over the hatch after. I was up there 2 yr ago and everything looked fine and good with no signs of moisture. But definitely have some sort of problem with the fan vent up onm the roof I think. If its not too much moisture I might just dry everything out real well, bleach, prime and paint but may just chop that portion of drywall out and patch. Fun.

IMG_20220116_1530124.jpg
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Ok minor update. Ran the fan for 2 hrs and my ceiling has decided to mind fuck me. Completely dry to the naked eye. Pics show a bit of lingering stain. Wtf.

IMG_20220116_1903399.jpg
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Yea ours froze over around Xmas as we were gone and it didn’t run for a week or so. As soon as it warmed up we ran it all day. They typically move enough air to dry themselves out. No harm no foul.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2