Quantcast
Mortgage Renewal - WWBD? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortgage Renewal - WWBD?

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

I called up my bank back in February as my renewal was this coming July 1st. Was ending a 5 year fixed at 2.59%. Asked if they would consider an early renewal with no penalty. They offered me a new 5 year fixed at 2.84% that would begin effective immediately. So im paying $16 extra biweekly until July 1st for piece of my mind for the next 5 years.

Not gonna lie, you guys almost had me convinced to go variable lol.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

6%-8% is not out of line if you look back to pre-2008 levels for mortgage rates. We're going to see at least 0.5% hike at the next BoC meeting, maybe even .75% and then continued hikes for the rest of the year at least. The whole world pumped inflation up for the last 2 years, it's going to take some time for the unwinding to make its way through the system.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I called up my bank back in February as my renewal was this coming July 1st. Was ending a 5 year fixed at 2.59%. Asked if they would consider an early renewal with no penalty. They offered me a new 5 year fixed at 2.84% that would begin effective immediately. So im paying $16 extra biweekly until July 1st for piece of my mind for the next 5 years.

Always go variable. Unless you think that timing bonds is easier than timing every other asset class (hot tip: it isn't).

I agree, we are seeing another 100 bps rise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    It's a few months old, but I'm curious to everyone else's perspective on this now that we've seen interest rates rise, and I've heard some grumblings from unverified sources that some believe it might go up to 6-8% interest over the next year.

I feel this is fear mongering, but it's just a matter of time before it really does. Whether that occurs during this time of economic upheaval or not remains to be seen.

One thing is for certain: My stocks are fucking tanking. Time to invest in stable commodities I think....
    I always recommend using leverage to buy real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    6%-8% is not out of line if you look back to pre-2008 levels for mortgage rates. We're going to see at least 0.5% hike at the next BoC meeting, maybe even .75% and then continued hikes for the rest of the year at least. The whole world pumped inflation up for the last 2 years, it's going to take some time for the unwinding to make its way through the system.
    I'll say it once, I'll say it again:

The last time this happened, it took over 20 years for rates to normalize.

My Ride
    NC1

Heloc that shit yolo lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I've had an unsecured LOC for so long I remember when rates were like this lol.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's a few months old, but I'm curious to everyone else's perspective on this now that we've seen interest rates rise, and I've heard some grumblings from unverified sources that some believe it might go up to 6-8% interest over the next year
    Variable will go to 5% and Fixed will go to 7% and it should stop there for the next 4 or so years.

If we have to raise beyond that, I think paying back your debt to banks would be the last thing to worry about.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-13-2022 at 04:37 PM.

My banks had no issues trying screw around with my rate holds for a new place I bought last month. Had a rate guaranteed. Told them it was a purchase + improvement all was fine. When we went to confirm details of the improvement they wanted a much higher rate.

IMO these higher rates are to stay. Nothing that's happening has me thinking it's a short term problem.

Here's to hoping oil stays high and Alberta skates through whatever hell is coming.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Given how crazy the housing market has been the last year (or longer) coupled with Canada's love for R/E, the BoC is going to be walking the thin line of balancing rising inflation over the next couple years vs. mass defaults on mortgages.
    Ultracrepidarian

They have no choice but to raise rates.

BOC is going to crater the R/E market, after which they'll start lowering rates and QE again.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    BOC is going to crater the R/E market, after which they'll start lowering rates and QE again.
    They no longer have the balance sheet. This is what it looks like when your economic policy is based on environmentalism and a RE ponzi scheme.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Enabling industries that create value is massively overrated.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    They no longer have the balance sheet. This is what it looks like when your economic policy is based on environmentalism and a RE ponzi scheme.
    It's a thing of beauty.

It's a few months old, but I'm curious to everyone else's perspective on this now that we've seen interest rates rise, and I've heard some grumblings from unverified sources that some believe it might go up to 6-8% interest over the next year.

I feel this is fear mongering, but it's just a matter of time before it really does. Whether that occurs during this time of economic upheaval or not remains to be seen.

One thing is for certain: My stocks are fucking tanking. Time to invest in stable commodities I think....
    It's an unfortunate "I told you so" to all the people advocating back in March to stay variable. Variable is now higher than the fixed rate was when I was warning about this rising interest rate issue that everyone should have seen coming a mile away. And the increases are not even close to done yet. Last time we had run away inflation like this, they had to raise rates above the inflation rate(currently 8.6% claimed, but it's more like 20%) to get a handle on things. If BoC rate goes to 9% to tackle inflation as they're claiming they are committed to now, then that's over 10% mortgage rates.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    It's an unfortunate "I told you so" to all the people advocating back in March to stay variable. Variable is now higher than the fixed rate was when I was warning about this rising interest rate issue that everyone should have seen coming a mile away. And the increases are not even close to done yet. Last time we had run away inflation like this, they had to raise rates above the inflation rate(currently 8.6% claimed, but it's more like 20%) to get a handle on things. If BoC rate goes to 9% to tackle inflation as they're claiming they are committed to now, then that's over 10% mortgage rates.
    lol

Rotary alt?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's totally possible there was a specific time where choosing fixed was a winning bet in hindsight.

However, variable has advantages beyond the rate. I've been fucked harder by IRD penalties in my lifetime than I ever will be by changes in interest rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Variable will go to 5% and Fixed will go to 7% and it should stop there for the next 4 or so years.

If we have to raise beyond that, I think paying back your debt to banks would be the last thing to worry about.
    Well if rates don't go above that, we will be trying to figure out how to feed the entire population from the food bank. 3 grand a month in food bills is not sustainable for virtually anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    lol

Rotary alt?
    Who's Rotary? Is he one of the only other few of us not living in lala land in regards to the markets right now?

Stay high on that Hopium my friend. It's going to be a rough few years coming.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Well if rates don't go above that, we will be trying to figure out how to feed the entire population from the food bank. 3 grand a month in food bills is not sustainable for virtually anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Who's Rotary? Is he one of the only other few of us not living in lala land in regards to the markets right now?

Stay high on that Hopium my friend. It's going to be a rough few years coming.
    lol. First person to ever accuse me of a false sense of positivity.

On the other hand, you rarely know what you are talking about, and this is no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post

This is not very common, you did very well! If I could have got 5 year fixed at 2.84 I would have in a heartbeat
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast