Mortgage Renewal - WWBD? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortgage Renewal - WWBD?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What people write: "Should I go fixed or variable"
    What I read: "I'm really frightened of uncertainty, so it sure would be nice if someone could help me rationalize a costly decision that takes away that uncertainty."
    If you were fully right, a variable wouldn't be an option and I'd go with the fixed every time as that also removes uncertainty. But you are partially right that I'm looking for further evidence to sway me in the direction with the most likely positive outcome.

Luckily, there have been very helpful individuals who have been willing to help.

You are not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

Variable is the correct answer.

If you don’t like that answer, go fixed.

It’s not rocket science
    Of course those are my options. And no, it isn't rocket science but by saying that you're implying the answer on which to pick is either trivial or obvious - to which I would suggest it was neither to me. Why so salty?

Seeing the answers, and supported by further research of my own, I'll be going variable. Thank you to all who contributed.

We really DO have a lot of miserable mf'ers on here...
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-13-2022 at 11:20 PM.

Variable. Always and forever.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yolo variable 4 lyfe. Or whatever.

I went variable this time around and don’t really see any downsides. Even if rates rise my monthly payment doesn’t change, all it does is extend out the amortization so figure why not risk it. The upside is pretty significant since I’m still sitting at 0.99% until rates creep up. By the time they do I’ll already be quite ahead and happy.

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

https://www.truenorthmortgage.ca/mor...tment-mortgage

"'It’s an ideal fit for someone who’s sitting on the fence and can’t decide which kind of mortgage to get', according to Dan Eisner, True North Mortgage’s CEO."
    Last edited by cidley69; 01-14-2022 at 09:36 AM.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    If you were fully right, a variable wouldn't be an option and I'd go with the fixed every time as that also removes uncertainty. But you are partially right that I'm looking for further evidence to sway me in the direction with the most likely positive outcome.

Luckily, there have been very helpful individuals who have been willing to help.

You are not one of them.

Of course those are my options. And no, it isn't rocket science but by saying that you're implying the answer on which to pick is either trivial or obvious - to which I would suggest it was neither to me. Why so salty?

Seeing the answers, and supported by further research of my own, I'll be going variable. Thank you to all who contributed.

We really DO have a lot of miserable mf'ers on here...
    You are correct...both on the choice and that we have miserable motherfuckers.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

The only time where it makes sense to go fixed is if you committed to a variable rate for X years and then the mortgage lender offers you a fixed rate shortly after that is BETTER than the whatever Prime-XX rate you had. I saw this happen during mid to late 2020 as they were scared you may jump ship to another lender and come out ahead even with penalties. Rare but it happens.

Otherwise agreed, variable.

My Ride
    *The First*

Don't forget that it's an option to take much of the variable risk away by finding a lender with the option of a short penalty term if you change your mind and want to lock in.
    I didn't know this was a thing until it was offered to us.

*Where "us" is me and my partner...

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Don't forget that it's an option to take much of the variable risk away by finding a lender with the option of a short penalty term if you change your mind and want to lock in.
    Yeah, our RBC rep told us that was an option if we got concerned about rising rates. While it's unlikely we would be interested in doing that, it does provide an element of security in case we somehow happen to pull a 1981....

Again, I appreciate the comments from most. Not one person (if I read properly) recommended fixed. That says something by itself, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    Note that this is an ARM, not a VRM. Your payment will change based on interest rate changes.

My Ride
    ute

Yeah, our RBC rep told us that was an option if we got concerned about rising rates. While it's unlikely we would be interested in doing that, it does provide an element of security in case we somehow happen to pull a 1981....

Again, I appreciate the comments from most. Not one person (if I read properly) recommended fixed. That says something by itself, imo.
    By the time you want to lock in against rising rates, the fixed rates will have moved already.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

We were supposed to renew in June but ended up renewing yesterday for 2.59% for 5 years. We were previously on 2.44% and our lender gave us a discount on our penalty too.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    By the time you want to lock in against rising rates, the fixed rates will have moved already.
    That's likely true. But absorbing a 5 point increase is a lot better than absorbing a 50 point increase. It just means I need to keep an eye on interest trends from time to time. No biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    We were supposed to renew in June but ended up renewing yesterday for 2.59% for 5 years. We were previously on 2.44% and our lender gave us a discount on our penalty too.
    First person I noticed that went fixed. That's a good rate though. Who did you go through?

The fact is as well that I have stellar credit, and my wife's is quite good too. We both have stable jobs paying 6 digits and have almost a half million of equity in the home. If anyone should get a good rate, I would imagine it should be us...
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-14-2022 at 09:55 AM.

My Ride
    ute

That's likely true. But absorbing a 5 point increase is a lot better than absorbing a 50 point increase. It just means I need to keep an eye on interest trends from time to time. No biggie.
    This is the assumption that people make that is incorrect. If interest rates go up, the fixed rates will already have risen past where you will want to be locked in. People are used to buying products, not participating in markets because people rarely encounter markets in their daily lives. If you get a mortgage you are being forced to participate in a market, with all of the fun that entails.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Yolo variable 4 lyfe. Or whatever.

I went variable this time around and don’t really see any downsides. Even if rates rise my monthly payment doesn’t change, all it does is extend out the amortization so figure why not risk it. The upside is pretty significant since I’m still sitting at 0.99% until rates creep up. By the time they do I’ll already be quite ahead and happy.

To note: most variable products are actually adjustable rates (very few are true variable)

While the above holds true for variable (to an extent) and this is what you want… make sure you quadruple check the commitment. If you see ARM instead of VRM. This is not what you’re signing.

ARM: maintains amortization schedule
    VRM: maintains payment… BUT can have a payment adjustment if the rate rises high enough that the payment is less than the interest component of the mortgage… also can potential mean you’re paying your mortgage forever if you do not make additional payments towards principal

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I recommend fixed only for people where a change in rates would introduce significant stress. People who could lose the house if rates rose, people recovering from bankruptcy who need stable payments, that kind of thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    To note: most variable products are actually adjustable rates (very few are true variable)

While the above holds true for variable (to an extent) and this is what you want… make sure you quadruple check the commitment. If you see ARM instead of VRM. This is not what you’re signing.

VRM: maintains payment… BUT can have a payment adjustment if the rate rises high enough that the payment is less than the interest component of the mortgage… also can potential mean you’re paying your mortgage forever if you do not make additional payments towards principal
    Yes, this is agreat comment and worth people reading and understanding. I think most, and mine, are the kind where payment DOES CHANGE if rates rise.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You realize the banks have teams of people who have far more information than you do setting the fixed rates so that people like you pay more the vast majority of the time.

“Checking the rates from time to time” Isn’t good enough
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

And on this episode of “lenders giving us a break”

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I didn't know this was a thing until it was offered to us.

*Where "us" is me and my partner...
    Industry standard for variable/adjustable is 3 month interest penalties… fix rates are 3 months or the IRD… whichever is greater

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    So you resigned 6 months early, with the same lender… at a higher rate… and they didn’t COMPLETELY waive your penalty?? Hahaha… yes, gud deal

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I recommend fixed only for people where a change in rates would introduce significant stress. People who could lose the house if rates rose, people recovering from bankruptcy who need stable payments, that kind of thing.
    If this is the case, then these people have bigger problems than fixed vs variable.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    No one is losing their house if rates raise on a variable/adjustable… 3 month interest penalty can be absorbed into a straight transfer most of the time ($3k limit on increase before it’s considered a refi) and it’s super easy to move. Only catch here would be if it’s one of “those” situations where they feel strongly that they might not be able to prove enough income to qualify for the loan again, but also the bump to the less than ideal fixed rate the current lender offers would tip them over the edge.

Depending on the equity and other debt obligations this could actually enhance their situation too if they take the time to refi (rates are not as good though as a straight transfer)

The banko folks don’t need to worry… the only variable’s they’re likely to even qualify for are P+X% HELOC/secured credit cards

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post

Really? Every VRM I had was a VRM. Payment stayed the same within a fairly large interest increase, increases past that threshold would cause the payment to go up. It was actually based on how much additional interest the increase would create.

And guys, if you go for the variable rate, it's extremely rare that even with prime rate increases that your rate would end up above any term equivalent fixed mortgages then being offered. Fixed rates are made for wives to feel good.
    Last edited by suntan; 01-14-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast