Quantcast
Steam shower - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Steam shower

Default Steam shower

Wondering if anyone has experience contracting someone to build a steam shower...

Not one of those spaceship looking pre build ones, but built in with generator, plumbing, shower door etc, and all materials needed to make it up to code.

My Ride
    *The First*

I've done this. It's not that complicated. You need 240V and a sensible location to put the steam gen so it's not far away and minimizes 90° bends while still being accessible for maintenance or issues. Plus you need to take 1-2 extra precautions to ensure steam doesn't penetrate the tile or seams.
    I'll list things I did wrong, later.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Tilebob or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

240v electrical is a big thing. If this is a retroactive build maybe somewhat difficult to do but any contractor worth their salt should be able to do it. I did mine during the build of the house so was an easier endeavour and I put one of those big glass doors with a transom up top that can be flipped open and close depending on your need of locking the steam in or not. Finally, Steam Suite is the unit you want to go with and based on the research I had done these were the best out there. Slightly up there in price but worth it. The way I built mine, the unit is stored in the bottom cabinet thats separate by shelves so when you open the cabinet you don't even see it and yet if access is needed you just got to slide a panel out.

My Ride
    *The First*

Sorry I forgot to update this.
    Mine is 6kW for a full, "bathtub-sized" shower and I wouldn't go smaller than that. Whatever size that is... Something like 5x3x7 feet?
    It takes 6 minutes to start puking out steam and it can hit over 40°C if you can stand it.

Someone might tell you that you need to leave a gap. That's horse shit. My gap at the top of the glass doors is ~1.5" and I wish it was 1.5mm as the steam billows out of there and makes the walls all sweaty as well as condensing on the exhaust fan and dripping back down on the floor.
    It's not a hyperbaric chamber as there's still a gap between the glass sliding doors and at their bottoms. Leaving a big gap at the top is a mistake.
    I think my generator might be "Mr. Steam"?? Home Depot sold them when I was buying. Might have been $1,200 or so. No complaints with it.

Are you still considering this or have any other questions?

Larger fan on timer to get rid of humidity once you're done with your bath house?
    What did you do exterior wise? I've heard of standard Ext outlets freezing up in winter.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Larger fan on timer to get rid of humidity once you're done with your bath house?
    What did you do exterior wise? I've heard of standard Ext outlets freezing up in winter.
    I just leave the door closed when I'm done, eventually the steam condenses back down to water. Doesn't even so much as fog a window/mirror outside of the shower.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Me?
    It's a larger than budget fan and it has its own humidity sensor, in addition to a 25 min timer. I'm pretty sure the real story is that I could've got away* with a smaller steam gen and the gap along the top of the doors equates to literally 0.5 sq-ft in the worst possible place so A LOT of steam is escaping while I'm in there with a plastic bag over my head and a plastic bag over my phone giving Neg Reps to internet strangers I think about so very much.

*if it wasn't for you meddling kids!