Quantcast
LASIK/LASEK/Anti-Specs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: LASIK/LASEK/Anti-Specs

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Default LASIK/LASEK/Anti-Specs

Previous threads are a few years out of date now so just seeing if anyone has been through it recently?

I've read getting it done before 40 is usually a good idea.

I can still pass the vision test for driving, but I don't like driving without my glasses. Based on what my vision is like, its no surprise the driving in this country is so bad, clearly people can't see shit.

My prescription has barely changed since I was 14 (20 years ago) though sometimes i do notice that the TV can be a bit blurry for smaller text.

Recommendations?

Worth it vs. New glasses every couple years? I hate having to carry glasses around since I drive rental cars all the time for work.

Read that it can be put against health spending accounts if your benefits provide them, which i think mine does...any experience with this?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Had mine done roughly 5 years ago, wish I would have had it done sooner. I did the laser version (blade free). Paid for it out of pocket, so I can't comment on charging it towards your health coverage.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Got mine done about 5-6 years ago now. 0 regrets and no issues. I was -6.5 with astigmatism on my contacts before surgery. Price back then was about 3500 for both eyes, my benefits at the time covered 1k towards it (no HSA, it actually had coverage under vision)

How's your guy's near vision? Reading glasses required?

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Following. Looking to get it done this year. Where did you guys go?

I think it's covered under both our benefits + wife's HSA ... althought that barely covers half an eye. I'm going to ask if they can bill me one eye on Dec 31st and one on Jan 1st so we can use next year's HSA on it too lol.

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Following. Looking to get it done this year. Where did you guys go?

I think it's covered under both our benefits + wife's HSA ... althought that barely covers half an eye. I'm going to ask if they can bill me one eye on Dec 31st and one on Jan 1st so we can use next year's HSA on it too lol.
    I haven't got it done yet, but for sure am this year. I plan on going to clarity vision. They seem to have pretty good reviews and I just had a friend get PRK there. He is pretty pleased with everything so far.

And I tried to do what you did lol.. but it didn't work out haha.. that's the only reason I didn't do it last year, have to wait until both our HSA refresh.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

FWIW I had PRK done almost 22yrs ago, in 2000. I was 25 when I did it. Still don't have glasses, so I'd say 22yrs of glasses-free has been worth it, even if I got them tomorrow.

So far, only issue is very minor bleeding of blue light in the dark. I'd do the surgery again in a heartbeat. No reading glasses either, although I can see that potentially happening in the next few years.

Reading glasses often are still required as you age because it's a muscle issue (the muscles that focus the lens/cornea get weaker and slower with age), and no eye surgery will fix that.

It's also probably gotten a helluva lot safer and more precise in the last 20yrs so I don't see why anyone would hesitate.
    Last edited by Doozer; 01-17-2022 at 12:59 PM. Reason: can't type

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I shoukd see if they have advanced enough to do the pew pew for kerataconus yet. I'd be happy just wearing weaker glasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    FWIW I had PRK done almost 22yrs ago, in 2020. I was 25 when I did it...
    Mar alt...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

He's phoning from the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is broken

Femto Lasik is what you want. They cut your cornea with a laser so it heals super fast. I basically had 1 day of down time (no TV, screens, or reading) and 3 weeks of eyedrops.
    I had it done about 8 years ago and its was the best medical decision ever.
    Did mine with Dr. Gimbel in the south but I think he retired recently.
    Total cost was around 5k. $250 non-refundable consult. $2250 upfront cost and $2500 0%, 6 month finance. Work Health Spending covered 2k.

I had noticed my night driving was worse for about 6 months to a year following the procedure, but its dimished to unnoticeable levels.

PRK is only recommended for VERY strong cases and its a bitch of a procedure. Lots of hand cutting and recovery time.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Do it. Absolutely.

This is how I justified it: We spend a 1-3 grand on a new LCD TV. We pay a couple grand for new tires. We buy all sorts of things and think nothing of it, but this is your vision. It's something you use almost all the time you are awake, and once you get it done you'll realize what a great return on investment it really is.

Now, my wife and I had ours done probably about 8 years ago. Her eyes are nearly perfect still, but mine have regressed to the point where I probably legally need glasses again to see while driving. I'm also bordering on needing reading glasses now, when my close-up vision was perfect before the surgery. Not sure how much has to do with age or not, but they DID tell me before the procedure that it will likely advance the need for reading glasses.

Still, it's a perfectly acceptable trade-off to me. Less so now that my eyes are regressing, but still....

One of the things I found was the biggest benefit is being able to wear sunglasses. Especially while driving.

Bottom line: If you're considering it, just do it. It's money well spent.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Mar alt...
    DOH! Didn't even catch that. Correction made!