Quantcast
How do you say Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How do you say Calgary?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cal-gree

    53 60.92%
  • Cal-guh-ree

    19 21.84%
  • cal-gary

    13 14.94%
  • ban-fuh-fuh

    2 2.30%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: How do you say Calgary

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Left Coast
    My Ride
    '18 GMC Sierra, '18 Yamaha MT07
    Posts
    1,347
    Rep Power
    22

    Default How do you say Calgary

    Had a debate with one of my sisters tonight. How do you say Calgary?

    I always said 'Cal-gree'. Since I moved away, i've heard people say "Cal-gary". Then today my sister said "Cal-guh-ree" which totally fucked me up. Had no idea how I missed her saying that all these years.

    For fun, threw in banff.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    7,934
    Rep Power
    69

    Default

    Well the name is Scottish in origin. So that should give some hints as to correct pronunciation.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,846
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,298
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    I think technically I say Cal-ger-ee but at speed it sounds like Cal-gree so I voted that one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    BC with a 403 phone # for life yo
    Posts
    5,213
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Cal-gree

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,632
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Added for posterity.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,298
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Added for posterity.

    Classic…

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX
    Posts
    1,008
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Amazing how many people say Cal-Gree in this poll. It seems obvious it should be cal-guh-ree

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    2,178
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amazing how many people say Cal-Gree in this poll. It seems obvious it should be cal-guh-ree
    Must be how people from "Tron-no" say our city...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles
    Posts
    466
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Cal-Gah-Reh

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vagabond Backpacker
    My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus
    Posts
    1,376
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amazing how many people say Cal-Gree in this poll. It seems obvious it should be cal-guh-ree
    My grandparents were born or moved to Calgary in the 1920s-30s and I say Cal-guh-ree (obviously the pronunciation is passed down through the generations).

    I'd guess the Cal-gree pronunciation comes from the annoying Eastern twang of all the immigrants to Alberta over the last couple decades.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,860
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Eastern creeps and bums
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,970
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    I thought I pronounced it Cal-guh-ree, but the more I say it out loud, the more it sounds like Cal-grr-ee.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The AHS system is quite good.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    CTS-V Trackhawk
    Posts
    1,402
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cal-Gah-Reh
    I’m going to agree with the guy named haggis and has a Scottish flag in his profile pic.
    I like neat cars.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,860
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    I've lived in or within 20km of Calgary for my entire life. Can't say I've ever thought about it. Seems like the sort of thing some radio morning show would obsess over for about 4 days. I don't even know how I say it. My wife says CAL-gree.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles
    Posts
    466
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m going to agree with the guy named haggis and has a Scottish flag in his profile pic.
    I mean, i do pronounce the 2 "R"s in the middle of mirror and the other "I" in aluminium

    Only way to know for sure would be to pop over to the Isle of Mull and ask them island dwelling sheep shaggers

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...8!4d-6.2724019

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've lived in or within 20km of Calgary for my entire life. Can't say I've ever thought about it. Seems like the sort of thing some radio morning show would obsess over for about 4 days. I don't even know how I say it. My wife says CAL-gree.
    Call into Jack 96.9 about it...their banter is so far past terrible that this would be a topic they'd advertise on their drive-time shows to promote their morning shows

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Unicycle
    Posts
    10,860
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    The reason people pronounce Aluminium differently is because they spell it differently.
    Screenshot_20220121-073023.png
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I almost shat myself after eating way too much at lunch with @killramos so ya, we can start the diaper thread now.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    ES Art Room
    My Ride
    #SadLife
    Posts
    2,700
    Rep Power
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought I pronounced it Cal-guh-ree, but the more I say it out loud, the more it sounds like Cal-grr-ee.
    I think I'm also a bit of a hybrid between 1 & 2.
    We should all agree (ah-guh-ree?) that those who pronounce it as Kyaal-Garry should be put into camps. Right?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    CTS-V Trackhawk
    Posts
    1,402
    Rep Power
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean, i do pronounce the 2 "R"s in the middle of mirror and the other "I" in aluminium

    Only way to know for sure would be to pop over to the Isle of Mull and ask them island dwelling sheep shaggers

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...8!4d-6.2724019
    Yup, I've been to Mull. This is as close as we got to Calgary. I can't recall where we were headed, but probably to catch a ferry as I was hauling ass and we didn't have time to check it out.

    0ZYGim8.jpg

    On that note, some of the best driving roads I've been on were in Scotland. Single lane roads as wide as our bike paths.

    PHeCBTL.jpg
    SqtgpAJ.jpg
    I like neat cars.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,367
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think technically I say Cal-ger-ee but at speed it sounds like Cal-gree so I voted that one.
    Precisely my answer as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. We say BMW, you say...

    By Destinova403 in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
  2. so you say you hate traffic?

    By finboy in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 08-16-2007, 01:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •