Quantcast
Microsoft account created with my email then the email was changed. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Microsoft account created with my email then the email was changed.

Default Microsoft account created with my email then the email was changed.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

I have seen this question asked a few times in the Microsoft question area but there was never a solution provided. I have never had a Microsoft account linked to my personal email.

Yesterday I received a series of emails from Microsoft :

The first one was asking me to verify my gmail address. (for example lets assume my email was [email protected])

A couple of minutes later I received a confirmation email saying that I had created a new Microsoft account.

A third email then came saying that I had changed the email address used to sign up to a different email.
    Orginal email [email protected]
    New email: [email protected]

I had nothing to do with creating the new account. Since I did not crate the new account I can't recover it or do anything else with it.
    From what I can tell no one accessed my gmail account; I've changed the password just in case.

Is this something to be worried about? My name is fairly unique but there are a couple more people with it in North America with it.
    Why create a new account with my email only to change it to a different one?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

bait emails to get you to click in and provide info to "recover" your microsoft acct.

That was my first thought too but all the emails seem to be coming from Microsoft. The email address is correct for Microsoft and all the ip addresses in the header point back to being from microsoft as well.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Could just be some idiot being an idiot, I have [email protected] and I get random idiots with the same first name creating fedex accounts and other shit randomly and use my email address for whatever fucking reason so I just end up changing their passwords on them to teach them a lesson.

Same thing with a buddy who has a pretty common name, he's had some guy with the same name going through a divorce and has had months of continuous emails about a bunch of legal and financial shit emailed to him. He's emailed the law firm and what is most likely the email address it's supposed to go, telling them they're in error and to stop emailing him... but the divorce emails kept coming through.

My Ride
    POS

Check your email account settings to see if there are any forwarding rules setup. When my wife's email got hacked I found a bunch of these and I promptly deleted everything and changed the password

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Nothing seems to be amiss with my email; no log-in attempts that aren't me, password wasn't changed, no forwarding emails set up.