Additional costs of acreage living - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Additional costs of acreage living

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where are you/you have garbage pickup?

We go to the transfer station in Bragg…$3/bag and everything other than trash is free. They’ll even take trees up to 6” in diameter so if I don’t feel like burning, just load up the dump trailer, drop off a giant Lego block of wood and make everyone pulling branches out of the back of their SUVs jealous.
    Noice. We are in Foothills County, SE of Calgary.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Property/home insurance.

It’s like what.. x4 the cost on living in city?

Easy 5-7g for insurance/yr

I pay the same as a friend that lives in Auburn bay, but I'm within 12km of the Okotoks firehall so that helps bring the rate in line, and my policy doesn't cover my old ass Quonset, adding that in would more than double the yearly cost.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    Whatever all that costs, it’s worth it to walk out back and take a piss in your yard, hammer your old lady on the deck, or shoot your *pellet gun* without a peeper giving you trouble. Do it
    Are you suggesting that I shouldn’t be doing this in my inner city backyard?

Well this is awkward.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

For anyone using Xplorenet, Starlink or Telus Smart Hub, etc. would you mind sharing the provider, initial equipment purchase/setup and monthly subscription costs?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    For anyone using Xplorenet, Starlink or Telus Smart Hub, etc. would you mind sharing the provider, initial equipment purchase/setup and monthly subscription costs?
    I'm on Smart Hub. I think its pre-5G hardware, have had it for a few years now. I live in a good cell coverage area and its been reliable enough. $89/month, no setup fees, 500 GB data limit. The router only has one ethernet port so I added an Archer router and use that for household wifi.

Overall no issues. I wouldn't count on streaming more than one screen at a time. F1TV buffers a lot, not sure if that's a smart hub issue or an F1TV issue as lots of people complain about that on the subreddit. Meanwhile my buddy on fibre has never had that issue.

I download everything I want to watch in advance now, don't even have subscriptions to prime/netflix/etc anymore. Takes an hour or two to download a full length 1080p movie. QBittorent tends to take all the bandwidth when downloading and then nothing else in the house works, so need to do it overnight. Maybe software setting fixes that idk.

I need to reset the router maybe once every week or two. If I didn't torrent I don't think I'd have this issue.

Overall its okay for standard use but if you have lots of people in the house you might want to look for something better. I considered Starlink but for what they're charging smart hub is plenty good enough.

One thing I completely overlooked about country living, not sure what Bragg would be like but food delivery, same day prime delivery, uber, taxi's etc might not be options anymore. Can be a PITA if you like to uber eats lots. I can't get any kind of courier delivery to my house so have to get packages sent to my PO Box or my parents house. Literally every single thing I need requires a 20 minute drive to town which was a huge adjustment coming from a guy who would buy groceries every day after work.

My Ride
    V8s

My parents had xplorenet and switched to starlink for their place in the mountains. If starlink is available, don't even waste your time thinking about the others, it is head and shoulders above... only downside (so far) is the initial hardware cost ~$700. If both smarthub and xplorenet are available, don't even consider xplorenet. xplorenet should be treated as a last ditch effort to get some type of connectivity, but performance and price are utter garbage. My in laws have a place in the okanagan and they also switched away from xplorenet (nearly useless), but they replaced it with smarthub and it's reasonable for cost/performance. Their comments are the same as birdman, more or less.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Are you suggesting that I shouldn’t be doing this in my inner city backyard?

Well this is awkward.
    Everyone knows blow darts are the most effective form of projectile for those pesky magpies.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    My parents had xplorenet and switched to starlink for their place in the mountains. If starlink is available, don't even waste your time thinking about the others, it is head and shoulders above... only downside (so far) is the initial hardware cost ~$700. If both smarthub and xplorenet are available, don't even consider xplorenet. xplorenet should be treated as a last ditch effort to get some type of connectivity, but performance and price are utter garbage. My in laws have a place in the okanagan and they also switched away from xplorenet (nearly useless), but they replaced it with smarthub and it's reasonable for cost/performance. Their comments are the same as birdman, more or less.
    This…Starlink or no link.

Initial was about $700 and monthly is $135.

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

Starlink is the only way to go. Telus smart hub next, xlorenet can suck my single remaining testicle.

However. Starlink must have an unobstructed view of the sky. No trees in the way nothing. You can download the app and scan your area for suitability.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    I pay the same as a friend that lives in Auburn bay, but I'm within 12km of the Okotoks firehall so that helps bring the rate in line, and my policy doesn't cover my old ass Quonset, adding that in would more than double the yearly cost.
    Thanks for the feedback. Are the prices still in the $1500-2000 for the average home?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

Thanks for the feedback. Are the prices still in the $1500-2000 for the average home?
    I'm around $2800 a year, most of my friends are about the same or within 10% + -

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    A realtor who pulls out their cellphone to take your listing pictures is grounds for dismissal. Or worse.
    But what's wrong with the pics from my 7 year old Samsung Galaxy S6?
    (even though I made $30k commissions each on my last two sales)

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

No. if you have a larger property, and are more than 10km away from a fire statin, you pay way more, plus on a large property, you do need extra liability for yahoos that may visit and hurt themselves, with or without permission (ie, you left your gate open, or are not fully fenced etc)., outbuildings etc
    Expect 30 to 50% more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3