Quantcast
Additional costs of acreage living - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Additional costs of acreage living

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Thanks for all the informative replies.

Its a very small acreage, 4 acres, located in West Bragg Creek. Its not part of an established subdivision, just a lot along the highway to West Bragg trails. Entirely treed in mixed forest (poplar/pine/spruce), the last wind storm a few months back dropped lots of trees; the must own good chainsaw comment was bang on (check, have 2 Stihls, big one for bucking/falling, and limbing saw).

Will factor in all the comments above into decision process.

Thanks Beyond!
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

Is it leased land?

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it leased land?
    No freehold.
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Sounds awesome.

Speaking of awesome, this place looks pretty cool as well: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...othills-county
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Sounds awesome.

Speaking of awesome, this place looks pretty cool as well: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...othills-county
    Why can't they take some decent pics? Or use a phone that was made in the last few years to take the photos? Let's try to sell this parcel of land, that's remote and not easily accessible using the worst technology I have for just under 1M. That should do the trick.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    Thanks for all the informative replies.

Its a very small acreage, 4 acres, located in West Bragg Creek. Its not part of an established subdivision, just a lot along the highway to West Bragg trails. Entirely treed in mixed forest (poplar/pine/spruce), the last wind storm a few months back dropped lots of trees; the must own good chainsaw comment was bang on (check, have 2 Stihls, big one for bucking/falling, and limbing saw).

Will factor in all the comments above into decision process.

Thanks Beyond!
    Id be taking a look at FireSmart stuff as well. Bragg is overdue for a big one..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Why can't they take some decent pics? Or use a phone that was made in the last few years to take the photos? Let's try to sell this parcel of land, that's remote and not easily accessible using the worst technology I have for just under 1M. That should do the trick.
    I blame the realtor. But also, it isn't going to matter. 800m of waterfront on that rive is worth that price no matter what the ground looks like or what fucked-up shape the parcel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

4 acres, tree'd, West Bragg.

You're living my dream 10 years before I'll be able to!
    Huge congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    Considering moving to acreage west of city. Doing budget, wonder how much extra to factor in for maintenance, etc.

Anyone with direct experience with rural costs for:

Well upkeep? Well installed in 2010, 10 GPM flow. Is only shocking it once per year required? How much does that cost?

Septic? If you treat this right, anything required annually?

Driveway snow clearing? Driveway is 300 m. I plan to purchase quad/old truck with plow, but if paying for clearing how much cost?

Other cost considerations?
    It will vary massively acreage by acreage... There is a huge difference between 2.5 acres of perfect lawn in Springbank versus somewhere like mine which is 2.5 arces, but 2.25 of it is in forest and .25 is lawn.

Is your driveway 500 meters? 500 feet? 100 feet? Is it asphalt? Dirt? Gravel? I have a garden tractor mounted with a 48 inch snowblower and it works great, but after living here for a year I found a neighbour that for $40 will go around with his skidsteer and clear both my driveways, so for les than a couple hundred bucks a year I get to drink coffee and stare at him out the window freezing his ass off while I enjoy the morning in my PJ's, versus the 7K I spent on an adequate GT and snowblower attachment.

Septic depends a lot on how many people you have dropping huge dumps in your house and the size of your system. We could get away with doing it far less often but we just have it pumped once a year for a couple hundred bucks. In my opinion, treat septic tanks like oil changes. Pump out more often is cheaper than a rebuild later.

Your well again depends on your water quality. We are deep (almost 300 feet) and clean and clear and zero issues and have never needed to shock it in the 5 years we have been hear although I am considering it now just because of iron bacteria build-up (not dangerous at all but can contribute to clogging pumps etc over time). If you live in the marshy flats and you well is shallow, you are near your neighbours septic field, or you basically just have shit water quality, then do it more often. A simple testing of you water once a year is cheap and easy to know.

Again, depending where you are, internet can be an issue. Look into what all the neighbours use and how effective it is. Where we are we have no cell service to speak of (another thing to consider) so the only thing we all could get that worked even slightly decent was Xplornet Satellite (not LTE). It was expensive and service was minimal, but it worked. Now we have all moved over to Starlink and it is great for everyone.

Also depending where you are, it is a good idea to consider a power back up system in case you do go down. A lot of areas rural are not handled as quickly as nearer the city when there is a power outage and if you have no power you also have no water being on well. Just a good idea to think about very people do until they freeze some pipes or can't flush toilets or the like.

Do you have, and if not do you need, fencing for animals/pets? Not just your own either. People out in the country tend to let their animals wander and it can be a pain in the ass.

Really other than that it is just having the equipment you need for the type of property. Because I am mostly woods I have a couple chainsaws etc in case a tree comes down at an inconvenient spot or I want to go play logger for an afternoon. I do have a garden tractor that was meant to double as snow blower in winter and lawn in summer but really now it is lawn only plus a pull behind dump box for getting wood and any outside work I need it for. Long hoses for lawn if you have a ton of it. Etc etc etc...

Overall, it really is not a lot of extra output compared to a city house for a smaller acreage, but if you are hobby farming it is radically different. Again, it all comes down to what you have and how much effort you are willing and able to put in.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    A realtor who pulls out their cellphone to take your listing pictures is grounds for dismissal. Or worse.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    A realtor who pulls out their cellphone to take your listing pictures is grounds for dismissal. Or worse.
    How much worse?

*asking for their dad

My bro just moved out to an acreage 2 years ago and like others have said his new hobby is yard maintenance lol The worst part is his area is basically houses on 2 acre parcels and its all covered in the greenest grass ever so you basically live for yard work. For anyone whos not ready for the full on seclusion of your typical acreage the Sharp hill area is pretty slick and its only 5 mins to downtown since airdries only 15 mins https://earth.google.com/web/search/...UAhOQIwQFVvScA

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    yeah for the cost theres really no reason but i still see cam phone photos all the time even before this hawtness now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    *The First*

It costs A LOT of money to get an Uber home from a hockey game or Stampede booze debauchery.

Having whores delivered might also cost a lot more.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    It costs A LOT of money to get an Uber home from a hockey game or Stampede booze debauchery.
    depends on the surge pricing thing and how many of you are doing it, but an uber from the 'dome to Bragg Creek right now is $58.18

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    How much worse?

*asking for their dad
    Need pics of dad.
    Cell phone pics OK.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Property/home insurance.

It’s like what.. x4 the cost on living in city?

Easy 5-7g for insurance/yr
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Property/home insurance.

It’s like what.. x4 the cost on living in city?

Easy 5-7g for insurance/yr
    There are so many variables, but it's not always that much more expensive. The quote I got for an acreage we looked at in springbank was within hundreds (per year) of what we currently pay for our house in the city (and the house on the acreage was bigger/more expensive).

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

You save that x10 on the property tax.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    You save that x10 on the property tax.
    Not sure about Bragg, but Foothills is no better than in town for taxes. For 300m driveway a side by side or big quad will plow that. Like never said, all about the technique. Prior to purchase the home inspection will be 3-4x the price to cover well and septic. Worth every penny. Property insurance is more, but not multiples. Trash pickup is $50/month, plus $25 for recycling. We burn our cardboard and cash empties for kids and Neighbour’s hockey teams. Whatever all that costs, it’s worth it to walk out back and take a piss in your yard, hammer your old lady on the deck, or shoot your .22 without a peeper giving you trouble. Do it

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    Not sure about Bragg, but Foothills is no better than in town for taxes. For 300m driveway a side by side or big quad will plow that. Like never said, all about the technique. Prior to purchase the home inspection will be 3-4x the price to cover well and septic. Worth every penny. Property insurance is more, but not multiples. Trash pickup is $50/month, plus $25 for recycling. We burn our cardboard and cash empties for kids and Neighbour’s hockey teams. Whatever all that costs, it’s worth it to walk out back and take a piss in your yard, hammer your old lady on the deck, or shoot your .22 without a peeper giving you trouble. Do it
    Where are you/you have garbage pickup?

We go to the transfer station in Bragg…$3/bag and everything other than trash is free. They’ll even take trees up to 6” in diameter so if I don’t feel like burning, just load up the dump trailer, drop off a giant Lego block of wood and make everyone pulling branches out of the back of their SUVs jealous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast