Quantcast
Dual Monitors vs. Ultra Wide Curved Monitor - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dual Monitors vs. Ultra Wide Curved Monitor

49" Ultrawide works great for me with VMWare Horizon Client + Windows 11.

How does a curved ultra wide monitor reduce eye strain? Is it as simple as that your eyes don’t have to move farther when looking at the outside edges of the monitors or is there something more?

I’m pretty happy with my dual 24” 1440p (upgraded from dual 22” 1080p) but now I’m curious.

If it's eye movement. I posted the poor man's hack above. It seriously works.

I'm in the same situation due to going back to the office in the next couple of months for 2 days a week. I currently have two separate spaces, one for work and one for home. I have three 24" work monitors, two of which I'll have to bring back to work.

I'll have to convert to using only one space as I won't have enough monitors for two anymore.

Option 1: Use my personal monitor and one work monitor with a kvm switch and USB-C HDMI dock with work laptop. Have the ability to use mouse/keyboard for work laptop / home computer.
    Option 2: Get an ultrawide monitor with USB-C and KVM built-in to use for work/home.

The following seems pretty good and if I ever decide to upgrade my PC it seems decent for gaming as well.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/m34wq

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I was running 2x 24" curved monitors and liked them but moved to a 50" 4K tv and I love the real estate. On my work computer I used the native windows zoning but on my corp's surface book I use the fancy zones which is much nicer to configure depending on my task. Also as mentioned above, only having 1 HDMI input is nice. I think the 50" is a touch too big so I may downsize to 40" but going back to the office with 2 regular sized screens is going to suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

VMware Horizon works fine for me with one 34" ultrawide and 1 24".

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    I was running 2x 24" curved monitors and liked them but moved to a 50" 4K tv and I love the real estate. On my work computer I used the native windows zoning but on my corp's surface book I use the fancy zones which is much nicer to configure depending on my task. Also as mentioned above, only having 1 HDMI input is nice. I think the 50" is a touch too big so I may downsize to 40" but going back to the office with 2 regular sized screens is going to suck.
    I have 43" here. P&ID's are amazeballs.

My Ride
    rally pig

both at home and work I have a 27" 1440p in landscape and a 24" 1080p in portrait mode. allows me to have up to 4 programs open simultaneously.
    2 screens IMO is more convenient in case 1 dies and max/min a program is easier but I never owned an UWA because curved ones will probably not be the best for photo editing.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

I went for 2x27's stacked vertically, the top monitor is nice for reference material or kicking back and watching stuff while lower monitor is the productive screen. I might add a portrait 24 on the side for shits n giggles. Always felt like ultrawides throw off the balance of a desk.

I also highly recommend Display Fusion if you want to polish up your monitor layout. It'll let you split individual displays into smaller screens so the maximize button works right etc. Would be essential for an ultrawide IMO. And with a keypress you could turn it back into one big screen for gaming or whatever, works very well.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

@Buster Clean your desk show us the goods!

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Im sure i oosted this before but heres my office setup. 1 34" 3440x1440 and 2 27" 1440s. Other system is just a 50" 4k tv.

Last edited by Crazyjoker77; 02-08-2022 at 12:18 PM.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

At work I run dual 27" setup in a V shape. At home, I have the exact same monitors but add in the 15.4" laptop. As with several others, I usually put email or Teams on the lappy, autocad on one screen and excel and explorer on the other (with youtube minimized so I can listen to car videos).

I also run a dual 27" at 1440p along with my 14" laptop monitor. I've been thinking about swapping one of the 27" for a curved 34" ultra-wide, but keeping the second 27". Would it be too awkward to have curved 34" along with a flat 27"?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Sounds like ours was implemented better
    Attachment 104398
    The “solution” I was given was to use RDP into a terminal server then run RDP from that to my machine and then dual screens would work.

I told them to be better.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    Im sure i oosted this before but heres my office setup. 1 34" 3440x1440 and 2 27" 1440s. Other system is just a 50" 4k tv.

Nice setup!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Nice setup!
    Missing Wyze Cam

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I used 3 24” monitors it was too wide to run 3 horizontal… so I ran 2 horizontal and one vertical just for communications , email and IM/soft phone and the others for business apps.

I run one UW now and it is good enough

My Ride
    G05

@redline what size UW are you running?
    @tonytiger55 Thanks for the info and link. I'm in finance running at least 2-3 software excluding browser, emails and teams (etc) and no I can't install software without corporate passwords.
    @Buster I'd like to see that setup
    Last edited by s2k_boi; 02-09-2022 at 10:18 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    @redline what size UW are you running?
    @tonytiger55 Thanks for the info and link. I'm in finance running at least 2-3 software excluding browser, emails and teams (etc) and no I can't install software without corporate passwords.
    @Buster I'd like to see that setup
    The problem with a 49' setup is that its a dive into the unknown. Stores don't have them on display, so one cannot work out the ergonomics. My screen is not the best, I bought it open box and it was a old model. But work paid for 1/3, so really I paid $300 for a monitor that costs $1300.

There are some reviews on youtube where people have moved to a ultrawide set up and did not like it.
    If it helps. You are welcome to come over, plug in your laptop and play around. That way you can get a feel if the ultra wide screen is good for you. You don't want to spend over $1300 and think what have a I done.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I wish I had a consistent enough work location that I could geek out on the hardware. I have a 2x 24" setup at my two main work locations. But I'm working from conference rooms and other places pretty often.

If I get down to one main office, I'm going to buy my won keyboard and mouse. The work supplied ones are quite bad. Frustratingly bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast