Quantcast
2022 C&D Lightning Lap - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2022 C&D Lightning Lap

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which makes the Cayenne Turbo GT lap time of 2:52.6 look even more silly. That SUV is bonkers.
    Yah that's bats**t crazy for an SUV. Granted it did come on Pirelli Corsa PZC4's which were heat cycled to boot. An SUV on track specific tires is such an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Sounds like the is500 was a bit of a turkey in the short article I read.
    Can’t really expect too much with an old chassis and old engine. Doesn’t seem that Lexus intended the car to be a track car as evidenced by the sudden addition of track pads as a dealer available option. Transmission burping out fluid was unexpected.

Also unexpected (at least to me) that the GR86 and BRZ couldn’t go a single lap without changing brake fluid.

My Ride
    ute

Track performance is critical. Especially in Calgary

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by richardchan2002 View Post
    Can’t really expect too much with an old chassis and old engine. Doesn’t seem that Lexus intended the car to be a track car as evidenced by the sudden addition of track pads as a dealer available option. Transmission burping out fluid was unexpected.

Also unexpected (at least to me) that the GR86 and BRZ couldn’t go a single lap without changing brake fluid.
    Not unexpected on a lap that long. The calipers and rotors are identical on the new car, but with significantly more power.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Agreed.

That's quite subjective. Just look at the results of the other GM Alpha Chassis cars on the list, they punch way above their price point. Alpha Chassis + Gen 4 Magnetomagical Shocks, this thing should be very good on the track. Also worth mentioning that a driver that isn't scared of the car did a 2:52.5 (a second faster than the M3 & 3 seconds faster than what C&D could manage).

https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...blackwing.html
    Meh. All we can compare is how fast they were with the same drivers on the same days which is the idea behind the Lightning Lap. I never trust manufacturer times on Nurburgring or any other track as they are usually track prepped with different rubber or pre-production (not stock) cars.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Meh. All we can compare is how fast they were with the same drivers on the same days which is the idea behind the Lightning Lap. I never trust manufacturer times on Nurburgring or any other track as they are usually track prepped with different rubber or pre-production (not stock) cars.
    True, but for some additional perspective keep in mind that the C&D guys were actually slightly faster in the CT5-V Blackwing than the GM factory drivers. So it seems to be they were just being timid in the CT4-V after their little incident.

My Ride
    *The First*

It's complete craziness. Ok, it's "a tough track" but it's not a 24hr endurance race. My last 20yo car can do better than boiling brake fluid or melting brakes on one lap.
    Ridiculous.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    It's complete craziness. Ok, it's "a tough track" but it's not a 24hr endurance race. My last 20yo car can do better than boiling brake fluid or melting brakes on one lap.
    Ridiculous.
    that car is never intended to go anywhere near a track. It's supposed to be a fun daily driver. I'm a Lexus fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think Rage's opinion applies in this context as well. A car doesn't have to be designed for lapping/track days to be fun.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    that car is never intended to go anywhere near a track. It's supposed to be a fun daily driver. I'm a Lexus fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think Rage's opinion applies in this context as well. A car doesn't have to be designed for lapping/track days to be fun.
    I'm totally with both Rage and you on that.
    However, I still strongly feel that virtually any vehicle sold in 2022 should easily be able to do a couple of laps without something so significant failing that it becomes undrivable. While that statement may be controversial, seeing any vehicle that they've stuffed >450hp into fail after a few hard braking events is getting close to negligent. And a Toyota product doing this??! "Great jorb guizz! You sure spent money wisely having your team "optimize" those brakes down to go-cart quality before you attached the rocket boosters..."

Of course we shouldn't expect them to operate smoothly over tens of laps getting absolutely bagged, but that's not what happened, here.

*Don't forget TPiM Luvs Lexus fo-eva as well...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

The Ford Mustang Mach 1 sticks out to me as I realize the Cup 2 tires are worth a few seconds of lap time but it's impressive that it came out faster than a GT350R.
    Yeah the Mach 1 really stood out, that's a lot of fast for the dollar. I haven't really kept up with Mustangs recently, didn't realize the Mach had so many GT350 bits, cool package.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

A buddy of mine picked one up as a daily and he’s been really impressed.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

is500 was a flop from the day it was announced. Old engine, old chassis, old transmission, dated interior. Toyota threw a bunch of leftover parts together, and priced it higher than vehicles that blow it out of the water.

"Prototype pads sold as an accessory"

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    is500 was a flop from the day it was announced. Old engine, old chassis, old transmission, dated interior. Toyota threw a bunch of leftover parts together, and priced it higher than vehicles that blow it out of the water.

"Prototype pads sold as an accessory"
    Yup, it’s like Lexus didn’t even try on this one, and that’s saying something because Toyota/Lexus is behind the competition on a normal day. Technology is usually dated and they let their chassis and drivetrains age way more than most before updating them. That’s probably a big reason why perceived reliability is better.

I say perceived reliability because I currently own a Lexus and my experience has been that Lexus products aren’t always what their reputation suggests. They have just as many design flaws as others.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Yup, it’s like Lexus didn’t even try on this one, and that’s saying something because Toyota/Lexus is behind the competition on a normal day. Technology is usually dated and they let their chassis and drivetrains age way more than most before updating them. That’s probably a big reason why perceived reliability is better.

I say perceived reliability because I currently own a Lexus and my experience has been that Lexus products aren’t always what their reputation suggests. They have just as many design flaws as others.
    Seeing I have money down on a GR Corolla I'm on a Toyota forum and I see plenty of threads regarding issues with Corollas so their vehicles certainly aren't perfect. I still think they build a pretty reliable vehicle but like Honda they have cut costs over the decades and have been kicking and screaming forced to adopt newer technologies that reduced their advantage of using carryover drivetrains and are no longer heads and shoulders more reliable than some other brands that have picked up their game over the decades.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Seeing I have money down on a GR Corolla I'm on a Toyota forum and I see plenty of threads regarding issues with Corollas so their vehicles certainly aren't perfect. I still think they build a pretty reliable vehicle but like Honda they have cut costs over the decades and have been kicking and screaming forced to adopt newer technologies that reduced their advantage of using carryover drivetrains and are no longer heads and shoulders more reliable than some other brands that have picked up their game over the decades.
    Wonder if this has anything to do with it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/07/...rs-acceptable/

Or is this with older cars prior to chip shortages?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

No idea but this whole parts shortage thing is getting really old. Car prices are out of whack, deliveries are crazy long, cars lacking features, etc. Worst of times for a car guy like me that likes to change vehicles every two years. I think you have the right idea with driving a cheap beater while you wait for the car you want. That's what I should do so I can sell my X3MC while the used market is still hot. It's just hard to find a beater that doesn't need work put into it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Mine…. Needed work.

Name:  7CD574DE-7FFC-4DC2-82AC-3CBAFD4BB675.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  173.1 KB

It sounded like a race car, worked out well.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

What year is that? That's a lot of corrosion as the exhaust flange looks like it has rotted into a single piece.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

What year is that? That's a lot of corrosion as the exhaust flange looks like it has rotted into a single piece.
    03. My uncles car. Sat for years outside since he’s too old to drive. He wanted me to take it to the junkyard. It still drove. I’m spending $500 fixing the small shit so it doesn’t sound like a junker. Engine, suspension, transmission solid. That’s all that matters. Even has 2 sets of wheels, although the winter tires suck.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I put some F-Sport springs on a buddies 2013 GS 350 and it didn't look a whole lot better than that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast