Quantcast
GMC 1/2 Ton - 6.2 or Diesel - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GMC 1/2 Ton - 6.2 or Diesel

My Ride
    ////M

Default GMC 1/2 Ton - 6.2 or Diesel

Was chatting with @Brent.ff f and figured we should throw it on Beyond to tear apart - I am about to pull the trigger on a new GM and am debating between the 6.2L V8 or 3.0L Duramax. In general the truck will be used for road trips (1000 km weekend type things), occasional commuting, and will tow a boat at some point. The diesel is ~$1700 cheaper than the 6.2.

Part of me wants the big V8 but the responsible fuel-sipper probably makes more sense. Some googling tells me that the diesel tows lighter loads better, but if you're going to tow something heavy you want the 6.2.

What do the powers of Beyond think

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Diesel for highway mileage. The 6.2 for towing power and around town fun. @killramos will confirm the benefits to your mood of the 6.2L.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve got a fair amount of mileage in both, if it’s was mine I would get the diesel. There’s a pretty noticeable mileage difference towing or not, and with the price of fuel these days and the price of fuel in BC I for sure would be considering running costs personally. The downside is the diesel has some bullshit wet belt driven oil pump that needs service every 200k. I find the diesel is quite quick under 120km/h, faster than a 5.3 /10sp combo imo.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m pretty sure you know the answer to this question… Haha

That said, for the long range driving you will be doing the duramax is probably the correct motor. I think they fixed the towing discrepancy recently too so it no longer gets penalized. 6.2 can he frustrating on long trips as the 96L tank leaves a lot to be desired.

You can fit it in your garage right? If you are going heated to heated for commute my main issues with diesel are irrelevant. I usually feel like diesel is the incorrect fuel choice for out winters.

5.3 is the only wrong choice

Also. You should have bought my AT4
    Last edited by killramos; 02-08-2022 at 05:17 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

That said, for the long range driving you will be doing the duramax is probably the correct motor. I think they fixed the towing discrepancy recently too so it no longer gets penalized. 6.2 can he frustrating on long trips as the 96L tank leaves a lot to be desired.

You can fit it in your garage right? If you are going heated to heated for commute my main issues with diesel are irrelevant. I usually feel like diesel is the incorrect fuel choice for out winters.
    Diesel sucks in the cold when it’s something like an HD with 30L cooling system capacity and no real tech geared towards warm up and efficiency, they are geared towards towing. Smaller diesels that are newer are generally a lot more tech laden, have smaller cooling system capacity that come up to temp faster, and are easier to live with. My 335d comes up to temp and holds 85-90 degrees in -35 no problem, and it doesn’t have any fancy grill shutters, dual thermostats or even a block heater.

My Ride
    ////M

Yeah it will be heated garage to heated garage for the most part - I suspect by the time this thing shows up we will be in the SUV daily though

Also. You should have bought my AT4
    This is true

My Ride
    K-car

I had the 6.2, great engine and if driven nicely actually got good fuel economy. Keep in mind GM recommends premium in the 6.2. Honestly, I'd go with the diesel. I've driven one (in a Yukon) and came away very impressed. Very torquey and smooth. Once this car market cools down I'm going to snag one myself with the new interior. Also seems to be very few issues with the 3.0, some have a hard start, that's the worst I've seen. The 6.2's have been suffering from lifter failures lately. Supposedly that's all been fixed in anything built after 10/21.

Soon enough someone will offer a chip for the 3.0. Then they'll be no power loss going diesel.

My Ride

6.2L + 10 Speed is love. I test drove both, ended up with a 2020 6.2L SLT with Max tow (3.42 rear gears), put 50k on it the first year. The diesel will get better mileage no doubt, but the 6.2l is so much more fun to drive everyday, and they're pretty quick for a n/a 5400 pound truck, like high 13 low 14 quarter mile depending on options. Best case I get about 20 mpg highway, and towing a 7000lb horse trailer I'm like 10mpg. The stupid thing is GM won't sell you a Denali with the NHT Max tow package, so if you want that 12,000lb tow rating you're stuck with a SLT with NHT. AT4/Denali tow rating also isn't great from what I remember.

My Ride
    ////M

Quote Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
    6.2L + 10 Speed is love. I test drove both, ended up with a 2020 6.2L SLT with Max tow (3.42 rear gears), put 50k on it the first year. The diesel will get better mileage no doubt, but the 6.2l is so much more fun to drive everyday, and they're pretty quick for a n/a 5400 pound truck, like high 13 low 14 quarter mile depending on options. Best case I get about 20 mpg highway, and towing a 7000lb horse trailer I'm like 10mpg. The stupid thing is GM won't sell you a Denali with the NHT Max tow package, so if you want that 12,000lb tow rating you're stuck with a SLT with NHT. AT4/Denali tow rating also isn't great from what I remember.
    Yeah I was surprised how low the rating is for both the diesel and V8 since the max tow package isn’t available. Probably ok for my world but if it was available I would have ticked that box.

My Ride
    *The First*

Diesel.

My Ride
    Silverado

Any concerns with the diesel and long term maintenance? Id be worried about replacing injectors at $1000 bucks a pop. Wipes away any initial or fuel cost savings

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Diesel has more expensive maintenance in general does that hold up for these new engine? My business partner has this diesel canyon and it seems very reliable.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Any concerns with the diesel and long term maintenance? Id be worried about replacing injectors at $1000 bucks a pop. Wipes away any initial or fuel cost savings
    I guess my thought is if you are keeping a vehicle that long what’s a few grand in maintenance here and there relative to the new vehicle cost depreciation treadmill.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

100% go with the 6.2. Super solid engine, bulletproof, and sounds awesome. Plus is you don't choke on diesel fumes.

Edit: lol at getting a neg rep over calling the 6.2 bulletproof.
    Last edited by littledan; 02-09-2022 at 05:37 PM.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    ////M

I ignored all the sensible advice in this thread and came back to this - thanks for input all! Now to come back to this thread in 6+ months when this thing finally arrives

My Ride
    Canyonero

PREMIUM DUUUUDE, PREMIUUUUM

as someone who owns two vehicles with a combined average of 16L/100km in town, one of which takes premium, i think you gonna be one sad puppy.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Euro_Trash View Post
    I ignored all the sensible advice in this thread and came back to this - thanks for input all! Now to come back to this thread in 6+ months when this thing finally arrives
    You won’t be disappointed

fact.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post

Edit: lol at getting a neg rep over calling the 6.2 bulletproof.
    Beyond is full of snowflakes

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Are the new interiors out on the gm half tons? The 21 interior was ugly as shit
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Are the new interiors out on the gm half tons? The 21 interior was ugly as shit
    Not until the mid year refresh for 2022.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast