Quantcast
Company ending work from home for some - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Company ending work from home for some

My Ride
    Nissan x2

With the price of gas going up steadily I would push for WFH as much as you can.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I would prefer not to WFH more than 1 day per week. Can't get shit down at home like I can at the office, and if I'm not getting shit done, what's the point?

Had a first-round interview at one of the places that has the old "every second friday off" thing, and that's best of both worls to me. Extra time at home, but no pretense of "working" those days. Need those fuckers to call me back for the follow-up interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

WFH is not for me. Leadership needs to be seen and held accountable.

Let me rephrase that - the leadership needs to be seen by the worker bees and held accountable.

Nobody working at home can do that. They just coast.

Also, chances of promotions, special projects, team lead opportunities are drastically reduced at home. I’m sure there will be studies later showcasing the career advancement path of a wfh vs wfo employee.

Hate paying gas though, so the wfh should naturally be paid slightly less for expenses not incurred.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think you are right about WFH reducing your change of promotion etc. So they'll end up with lower pay over time naturally. And if they are really coasting, performance bonuses will go to zero as well. If the company is managed well, that's a problem with a built-in solution.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think you are right about WFH reducing your change of promotion etc. So they'll end up with lower pay over time naturally. And if they are really coasting, performance bonuses will go to zero as well. If the company is managed well, that's a problem with a built-in solution.
    True. It’s going to be funny when the go getters and ambitious people have “privilege” because they went into work instead of stay home all the time - then got the promotion. Lol.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    06 S2000

Maybe I'm just the exception, but as a full time WFH I don't think it's reduced my chances at all, and in fact probably increased it. All they can see if my productivity, and they're more than happy with the amount and quality of work I put out.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If that's true, I commend the structure and discipline of your company. I haven't worked anywhere that organized. Face-time and intangibles are usually a huge determinant of career progression.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    In her old department, they were WFH only during lock downs. But I just heard yesterday that another manager is making a stink about it so a hybrid option might become available soon. So maybe a nice hot dinner for me as soon as I come home from work 2 or 3 days a week.

Its funny though, my brother works for big bank downtown and they are seem to encourage working from home permanently and still keeps his office at work for big meetings etc. Its weird the difference in industries.
    Whooa, your partner makes you a hot dinner? Do people who do that still exist...? Ive not come across one of those in years.

I was talking to a senior VP for bank. Retal banking is a bit dead in terms of business. They have cut back so much, im not suprised they are looking for people to work from home.
    I think it depends on how competitive the industry is. If the business is set up in such a way that there is guaranteed cashflow (i.e banking and Insurance) then the management style is different. It can get very lazy on accountability, decisions are made on belifes rather than hard data.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

I was hired as WFH, and if that changes I'm screwed. It's a 3200km commute for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    If we could start terminating the WfH "people" who don't answer Teams ~70% of the time and are dressed about 7 levels down when they do answer Teams, then I'm all for keeping WfH.
    Not gonna lie, I sometimes miss my old place where nobody turned on cameras. There were some days I would wake up at 755 and work the entire day in a plain white tee and sweats.

New place encourages cameras every meeting so now I have to shower, do my hair, put on a decent shirt. First world problem for sure.

My Ride
    IS350

No sign of adopting a hybrid model for us. They want butts in seats every day. I have to laugh when I see people talk about having received surveys or approaching their direct manager to request permission to WFH. If you know big O&G you know that you get what you get and you don't get upset.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Whooa, your partner makes you a hot dinner? Do people who do that still exist...? Ive not come across one of those in years.
    Chefs plate/Good food delivery thing, but its something! If she goes into the office I'll prob beat her home, so I'll have to start prepping dinner. FUK.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Not gonna lie, I sometimes miss my old place where nobody turned on cameras. There were some days I would wake up at 755 and work the entire day in a plain white tee and sweats.
    This was almost the entirety of my 2021. PJs all day.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Some very boomer-esque comments in here grumbling about WFH lol.
    As someone who never got the chance, I still loved WFH at its peak because barely any day-walkers were at the plant.

I also somewhat agree with LDS, because WFH will make the productive employees stand out more IMO.... but I also think the landscape has changed, and it's probably more worthwhile to shop for different jobs than it is hanging around waiting for a promotion.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post
    it's probably more worthwhile to shop for different jobs than it is hanging around waiting for a promotion.
    100% agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Maybe I'm just the exception, but as a full time WFH I don't think it's reduced my chances at all, and in fact probably increased it. All they can see if my productivity, and they're more than happy with the amount and quality of work I put out.
    No, no, no, high productivity means you are too valuable to be promoted.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Overall, it is harder to get a promotion WFH because there is a higher chance your manager or your manager's manager is an old school person who appreciates in-person attendance as signifying hard work.

Not the case for everyone of course, but is why i say overall. If you thought you were just a number before, now you're an indistinguishable number.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Overall, it is harder to get a promotion WFH because there is a higher chance your manager or your manager's manager is an old school person who appreciates in-person attendance as signifying hard work.

Not the case for everyone of course, but is why i say overall. If you thought you were just a number before, now you're an indistinguishable number.
    Overall within an industry, perhaps... but I'd argue that this isn't representative of the entire professional workforce. I assume you work in O&G?

I work in tech, and people still get recognized and promoted as much as before (more frequently actually, but that's also attributable to the acceleration in the industry in general during the last couple years).

My Ride
    Canyonero

This is why you work for a remote-first or remote-only company; where the culture is explicitly focused on results and not taking attendance.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post

Wait, I thought promotions are handed out during poker games/golf rounds with the right people

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'd like to work somewhere that promotions were even a possibility. Been a decade since I have.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast