Quantcast
ceramic coating diy? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: ceramic coating diy?

is this a dumb idea?

brand new car being bought here. do the typical full front ppf (full hood, a pillar, front fender, mirrors, frt bumper, etc) here. then in a few weeks, drive to edm, ppf the remaining car and then ceramic.

reason being is a friend owns a shop in edm

and also, can ppf be put on sunroof?

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

Guys, all these DIY is putting me out of business....oh wait. I don't have a shop anymore

Anyways, like most of you guys have said. Yes, the most time-consuming thing is the prep. Wash, clay, paint correction, and depending on the condition of the paint...this may take HOURS. Afterward comes the application.
    Traditional ceramic coatings have a pretty straightforward application. Apply in sections and buff off in the time required and hope that it's there and doing its thing. This may seem easy but consumer products have a very safe flash time to avoid coating flashing too quickly hence having high spots. But if a coating was wiped off too quickly, you risk wiping away some of the solids in them. Meaning your vehicle may bead water and be shinny, but the overall performance and durability will be reduced. Ceramic coating applies so thin that sometimes I even question myself if its on and bonded.

I guess this is also why I love Revivify, you can see in the picture how thick it is being applied and we typically do not start leveling until 15-30mins. Name:  Even.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  103.2 KB

If anyone is interested in doing some DIY on their own vehicles...hey let's get together and I'll teach you how to properly do it.

My Ride
    V167

I think I will proceed with a DIY application this spring. I am tired of having a filthy daily driver, especially through the rainy months. There is a wand wash near my office. Being able to pull in, blast it off, and actually have a nice clean car (without the road grime) would be great.
    I have all the equipment and know how, just a matter of putting in work one weekend. Wash, clay, and begin polishing one day, with more polishing at night once child sleeps. Then complete the job the next day. Probably do my wifes car as well (a white Mercedes) which dirt just sleeps to literally cling to like I have never seen before.

Best product to use? If I'm putting in that much work to prep the paint I want the longest lasting + easiest application. Turtle Wax spray does get high reviews, but how is longetivity?
    After doing some reading, this is a very high rated product (also posted by a Beyonder on page 1 of thread): https://carzilla.ca/products/carpro-...uk-30-50ml-new

If you've DIY'd the job and have some insight do post.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Turtle Wax Seal n' Shine OG Formula FTW. Stupid easy to apply and beads water nicely for over 6 months, even on a DD. If I kept my vehicles more than a couple years on average, I might go with a true ceramic coating. But if you guys have cad ADD like I do, I don't know if it's worth it

On that note, is there a half decent ceramic coating for wheels that can be applied by a detailing noob like me? I auto-x/track a lot, with a reasonably aggressive brake pad and the brake dust is wild.

This is certainly something you can DIY as long as you're handy, have good stamina and are confident you won't mess up your paint during the correction process.

I did a full paint correction and Graphene application on my super low km G37S last summer, because the car has very low kms the paint was in good shape to begin with.
    Got it all done from start to finish in one long ass 12 hour day on a weekend.
    This was my first time doing a full paint correction so I'm sure I could streamline the process better for my next time and probably get it done in 8-10 hours.

If your car's paint needs more work I'd spread it out over a couple of days.

Here are some before and after photos:

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Turtle Wax Seal n' Shine OG Formula FTW. Stupid easy to apply and beads water nicely for over 6 months, even on a DD. If I kept my vehicles more than a couple years on average, I might go with a true ceramic coating. But if you guys have cad ADD like I do, I don't know if it's worth it

On that note, is there a half decent ceramic coating for wheels that can be applied by a detailing noob like me? I auto-x/track a lot, with a reasonably aggressive brake pad and the brake dust is wild.
    I’ve heard good things about Gtechniq Wheel Armour. I bought some from carzilla but haven't applied it yet

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    I’ve heard good things about Gtechniq Wheel Armour. I bought some from carzilla but haven't applied it yet
    Let me know how it goes, very curious if it’s easy to apply or not.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I used this stuff for my wheels

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Applied it on when car was detailed and put into storage. We'll see how well it is to clean off brake dust
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukyo8 View Post
    This guy has a pretty good reputation on YouTube and tests all his product side by side while documenting the whole process.
    He seemed to like the Turtle Hybrid Solutions product

Griot's.

My Ride
    *The First*

I've got a review brand coming. My friend uses one on his wheels during some hard motorsports and he's amazed at how well it works considering the screaming hot brake particles that hit his wheels. He says a gentle hose completely removes all the shit that typically would stain eternally.
    Stand by for the brand name. He's away for the weekend but I should have that info soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Griot's.
    That's the spray-on, diet Coke variety. I think OP is looking for the serious, fully properly applied ones.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Let me know how it goes, very curious if it’s easy to apply or not.
    As mentioned in my previous post, here's one that my friend has been very happy with (on his wheels).

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XTWWHGM?...TT12S61XXDSJG2

(At time of posting, this was $79)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3