Quantcast
Anyone an Electrician? Got a few questions about electrical for new home - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone an Electrician? Got a few questions about electrical for new home

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

^ yep.

That generator system you are talking about sounds cool. Back when I was a young guy, I installed a bunch of generators with automatic transfer switches in Ontario's cottage country. Not as familiar with the new stuff.
    No idea on the CSA approvals or lack thee of with the combo meter/panel. What you have shown is adequate as a "disconnect" but I dont think you will be able to feed out to 2 sources with it (house and panel at the post). You would need a splitter under it I think

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^ yep.

That generator system you are talking about sounds cool. Back when I was a young guy, I installed a bunch of generators with automatic transfer switches in Ontario's cottage country. Not as familiar with the new stuff.
    No idea on the CSA approvals or lack thee of with the combo meter/panel. What you have shown is adequate as a "disconnect" but I dont think you will be able to feed out to 2 sources with it (house and panel at the post). You would need a splitter under it I think
    Yah, a splitter would still be required unfortunately, and a smaller outdoor panel for the gate or lights around there. Maybe by the time I get the gate CSA will get off their ass and get a better combo enclosure.

Can I get like a 400A splitter box....a bigger box will give me bigger lugs...does the AMP rating of the box really matter...it's pretty dumb, just multi cable conductors inside:

Name:  meterbox2.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  77.4 KB

Would Fortis add another pole along the property line to reduce the U/G length ?
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    Would Fortis add another pole along the property line to reduce the U/G length ?
    For a fee I am sure they would, but I would rather pay for a longer thicker cable then have an ugly post sitting next to my house. The post would be on the west side and basically in the way of mountain views and views of clear land. Right now the post is middle of the property and far away from the house to never bother me, and I would like to keep it that way.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I don't think the Amp rating has anything to do with the box. Just the lugs in it. If the box that comes with the size of lug you want is too big, you can get a box and buy the stand off lugs separately. Also, the stand offs (like shown above) can have a space fpr you to add a lugs of your choice. If you needed a bigger one

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    Aluminum conductors ?
    Having read the codebook many times during projects, and how aluminum=bad. I said the same thing when a relative had a new aluminum feed to his farmhouse.
    Got schooled by his electrician. Good thing really, the cost of large-gauge copper over that distance? <shudder>

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Ya aluminum service cables are the norm. Branch circuits copper but alum service is a no brainer.

Good call on "upsizing" or right sizing the cable to future proof and avoid future headaches. Good luck with the install looks like you are well on the right track.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride

So did some more digging at the model numbers of the panel listed on previous page and found this. Seems like you can get combination unit with splitter built in, so I can split right off it without the need for a splitter box. I would need reducing pins....hope I can use them on the splitter part of this meter combo unit. It's actually listed as a model in my previous picture but I didn't pick up on it. Fuck these things are expensive....in the states same shit with more features is like $400... I will have to see if I can find it cheaper somewhere or with the help of a certified electrician perhaps... The breaker isn't shown in the picture but it's included at that price...I looked up breaker by itself and it was $700...holy.

Name:  meter3.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  63.2 KB

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

with the price of cable these days I wonder if you would be cheaper running 600V to a transformer outside your house lol
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    with the price of cable these days I wonder if you would be cheaper running 600V to a transformer outside your house lol
    No kidding eh. Seems like it will be like 10k to get electric service. Crazy.

My Ride

Okay, so here we go again, I think I am changing my mind on how to make this work in the most efficient way. I will have further discussions with Fortis directly but they don't really comment on the user side of things, so I will throw it here.

Is the following a possible configuration?

1. A direct run from the utility post to the side of the house.
    2. Meter on side of the house.
    3. Under slab run through a conduit from the meter to the main electrical panel with main disconnect.
    4. Come out from the slab and into panel for main house power.
    4. Another conduit under the slab for a smaller cable to carry maybe 30-50AMP service another 90M back to the front where there is a gate.

If the above is possible, perhaps it's a much easier approach. I plan on running multiple conduits to the gate area anyways for future POE security camera and such, so what's one more. I won't need a massive cable for that return 90M run as it would be much smaller AMPs.

The biggest question in everything above is if I can run an under slab conduit from meter to the electrical panel. I know there are some rules around this, but I don't really fully understand them. This document seems to reference things but not really sure wtf they are saying. My understanding that being under the slab it is NOT considered "inside" the house. Alternatively I think I can also run that cable for 7.5M inside the house as long as it's in a conduit..which would be long enough from where I plan on putting the meter.
    https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/7887...cec-6-rev5.pdf
    Last edited by eblend; 02-22-2022 at 11:04 PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    Having read the codebook many times during projects, and how aluminum=bad. I said the same thing when a relative had a new aluminum feed to his farmhouse.
    Got schooled by his electrician. Good thing really, the cost of large-gauge copper over that distance? <shudder>
    Yes. I believe it's Al-Cu interfaces that are bad. The twisted wire pairs experience a mechanical deformation called "creep" which then causes more heat which exacerbates creep and eventually puts you at higher risk of fire.

Creep is "fascinating" for nerds and I have been forced to learn a little bit more about it but more from the perspective of pipe trying to stay pipe at 1,600°F which it hates doing... Unless you make it out of cast inconel which your wallet will hate. *And then it will only last 100,000 hours.

Creep, creep. TheOtherGuys.gif

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Okay, so here we go again, I think I am changing my mind on how to make this work in the most efficient way. I will have further discussions with Fortis directly but they don't really comment on the user side of things, so I will throw it here.

Is the following a possible configuration?

1. A direct run from the utility post to the side of the house.
    2. Meter on side of the house.
    3. Under slab run through a conduit from the meter to the main electrical panel with main disconnect.
    4. Come out from the slab and into panel for main house power.
    4. Another conduit under the slab for a smaller cable to carry maybe 30-50AMP service another 90M back to the front where there is a gate.

If the above is possible, perhaps it's a much easier approach. I plan on running multiple conduits to the gate area anyways for future POE security camera and such, so what's one more. I won't need a massive cable for that return 90M run as it would be much smaller AMPs.

The biggest question in everything above is if I can run an under slab conduit from meter to the electrical panel. I know there are some rules around this, but I don't really fully understand them. This document seems to reference things but not really sure wtf they are saying. My understanding that being under the slab it is NOT considered "inside" the house. Alternatively I think I can also run that cable for 7.5M inside the house as long as it's in a conduit..which would be long enough from where I plan on putting the meter.
    https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/7887...cec-6-rev5.pdf
    The only thing with this is the pole to the meter can be no longer than 30m (ish) you can forsure run from the meter under the slab to a panel. Actually you have to....from the meter to the panel has to be less than 10ft (ish) unless it is mechanically protected (under slab or in rigid condit).
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 02-23-2022 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

agreed. 90m will be too long for the o/h service drop. Would need an intermediate pole in there. its basically the method the utility uses to f your dad
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

The meter has to be not more than 60m from the front property line. If the lot is larger than .33 acres, the meter must be installed 1.5m inside the front PL. Other arrangements may be considered under rare circumstances......found this from Fortis

My Ride

The only thing with this is the pole to the meter can be no longer than 30m (ish) you can forsure run from the meter under the slab to a panel. Actually you have to....from the meter to the panel has to be less than 10ft (ish) unless it is mechanically protected (under slab or in rigid condit).
    Interesting, this is not mentioned anywhere in their metering guide. From what I have been told and what the guide mentions, is that the meter can be within 90M of the utility pole (for underground service), either on the side of the house, or mounted on a separate post within 90M. Thanks for clarifying the under-slab stuff, that's what I was able to deduce up to this point as well.

The meter has to be not more than 60m from the front property line. If the lot is larger than .33 acres, the meter must be installed 1.5m inside the front PL. Other arrangements may be considered under rare circumstances......found this from Fortis
    This is also not in the guide. There is mention of Lot Line Metering and the 1.5M, BUT only if it's more than 90M run to the meter, no mention of lot sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    agreed. 90m will be too long for the o/h service drop. Would need an intermediate pole in there. its basically the method the utility uses to f your dad
    Underground service, not interested in overhead.

I have a direct line with an employee at Fortis now, so hopefully all of this will be cleared up shortly.
    Last edited by eblend; 02-24-2022 at 09:39 AM.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

What I wrote was from the old metering guide....just looked at the new one. Appears you are correct with the 90m.....but....you are limited to 300kcmil. With the lot line meter, you can use any size you want from the meter to the house. This might not be the case since you are being fed from an overhead transformer....good that you have a contact at Fortis to talk to.....

Who you talking to at Fortis?
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 02-24-2022 at 10:23 AM.

My Ride

What I wrote was from the old metering guide....just looked at the new one. Appears you are correct with the 90m.....but....you are limited to 300kcmil. With the lot line meter, you can use any size you want from the meter to the house. This might not be the case since you are being fed from an overhead transformer....good that you have a contact at Fortis to talk to.....

Who you talking to at Fortis?
    I got a PM from a member on here and I much rather not mention their name unless they are willing to reveal it themselves.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

All good.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

You could have just asked kert and saved two pages.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast