Quantcast
LNG projects in Canada. General thread - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LNG projects in Canada. General thread

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The huge problem with "investing to become a leader" in anything that relies on government subsidies, is that those subsidies, and therefore the underlying economics, are totally reversible at the whims of politicians. Without notice or compensation.

Seems like a huge risk to me, the sort of risk that most sound business strategies would avoid.
    Yup. Had to make this point to some people who were getting horny about locking into an enormous decade long supply agreement underpinned by… $170 carbon tax.

So… what do you think the odds are that the carbon tax… you know…. Isn’t $170?

What’s our exposure to that VERY real outcome.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yup. Had to make this point to some people who were getting horny about locking into an enormous decade long supply agreement underpinned by… $170 carbon tax.

You're such a party pooper.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    You're such a party pooper.
    I’m a professional party pooper actually

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

Anyone who makes financial decisions for a company based on the best possible outcome... well.. probably shouldn't be making those decisions

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Anyone who makes financial decisions for a company based on the best possible outcome... well.. probably shouldn't be making those decisions
    People are idiots

fact.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Hydrogen makes a lot of sense if we can eventually push our solar generation to a much higher level (and technology improves to increase its efficiency). One of the common complaints / talking points against solar is it only works in the daytime. If we can push a significant amount of extra power into green hydrogen generation during the day then that can then be used for fuel in fuel cell vehicles (semi trucks as an example) or use for heating homes overnight. It is feasible to use a lot of solar power for electricity and heat/cooling during the day and generation some hydrogen and then shift to hydrogen usage overnight for generation and heat and thus have 0 emissions overall. Obviously that would take a monumental effort to do on a large scale and/or a lot of raw materials we don't have currently. But it is one path to reducing our emissions that could be part of the equation.

And there is even some merit to using natural gas to produce hydrogen for use in fuel cells. At a glance it seems dumb to burn fossil fuels to produce it but if you can run the fossil fuel portion at a higher efficiency at a large scale then it can have a net positive impact. One large plant consuming natural gas may be far more efficient than individual houses having its older furnace cycle on and off. This is similarly to electric-hybrid cars burning fuel to generate power for their batteries. If the engine can run at peak efficiency to generate power then shut off and use the batteries for driving you see a overall increase in fuel efficiency. So many applications we burn fuel run at sub-optimal operating conditions for the sake of convenience.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Hydrogen makes a lot of sense if we can eventually push our solar generation to a much higher level (and technology improves to increase its efficiency). One of the common complaints / talking points against solar is it only works in the daytime. If we can push a significant amount of extra power into green hydrogen generation during the day then that can then be used for fuel in fuel cell vehicles (semi trucks as an example) or use for heating homes overnight. It is feasible to use a lot of solar power for electricity and heat/cooling during the day and generation some hydrogen and then shift to hydrogen usage overnight for generation and heat and thus have 0 emissions overall. Obviously that would take a monumental effort to do on a large scale and/or a lot of raw materials we don't have currently. But it is one path to reducing our emissions that could be part of the equation.

And there is even some merit to using natural gas to produce hydrogen for use in fuel cells. At a glance it seems dumb to burn fossil fuels to produce it but if you can run the fossil fuel portion at a higher efficiency at a large scale then it can have a net positive impact. One large plant consuming natural gas may be far more efficient than individual houses having its older furnace cycle on and off. This is similarly to electric-hybrid cars burning fuel to generate power for their batteries. If the engine can run at peak efficiency to generate power then shut off and use the batteries for driving you see a overall increase in fuel efficiency. So many applications we burn fuel run at sub-optimal operating conditions for the sake of convenience.
    And remember that if we rely on battery, China and Africa got us by the balls. Hydrogen? We could still be in the driving seat.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

The funniest part will be when the whole world is carbon-zero and climate change still happens

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    The funniest part will be when the whole world is carbon-zero and climate change still happens
    This is the beautiful thing about 30+ year projections. Either us, or the people that made the projections, will be dead already and everyone else will forget.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Will be delicious schadenfreude when we hit the next "little ice age".

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

It's amazing that in my lifetime I will witness the reversal of global warming and watch the glaciers grow back to their former glory. Thank you oh great and powerful world leaders!
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    This is the beautiful thing about 30+ year projections. Either us, or the people that made the projections, will be dead already and everyone else will forget.
    That could never happen! Paper bags are murdering trees and irresponsible for the environment! We must switch to plastic.
    - Everyone in 1992

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    It's amazing that in my lifetime I will witness the reversal of global warming and watch the glaciers grow back to their former glory. Thank you oh great and powerful world leaders!
    Who would have thought the paying of paying some more taxes

fact.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    That could never happen! Paper bags are murdering trees and irresponsible for the environment! We must switch to plastic.
    - Everyone in 1992
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldLBoErAhz4&t=1s

I have a few coworkers who are quite alarmist about the whole thing, like scared to death about it. These are educated people it's really fascinating. I sent them that video and asked them, the last time the earth warmed it took thousands of years even with 5 times the carbon emissions what do think it will take this time? Then I ask them do you think you will know your great great grandkids. Then I ask a really stark question if they can care of fathom beyond maybe their great grandkids and the impacts that this could have on them. At this point I am the asshole, but they realize that they cannot even begin to understand when this could happen actually become a problem for anyone that they may actually care about in their lifetimes.

Not to mention that the last time the earth warmed it created the scenario in which primates became humans and most of the earth was covered in rainforests. I thought rainforests were a good thing? Again, I am the asshole, I understand.

Studies have shown smart people are actually more gullible as they believe they are infallible/can't be tricked. It's a positive feedback loop in their psyche.

People in healthcare (especially it seems specifically nurses) act and talk like covid is still the end of the world. The campus I'm on has 15k students smashing their bodies together everyday in close contact, not a single covid incident yet.

They just hate to lose that control, that feeling of power the gov granted to them. The almighty have fallen, and they are PISSED about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This should make every Canadian taxpayer angry.
    Name:  Screenshot_20221202-080843.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  96.7 KB
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/canad...a-d55e4f02fde0

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This should make every Canadian taxpayer angry.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/canad...a-d55e4f02fde0
    Trudeau should be hung for treason

He's purposeful in attempting to sewer Canada's economy.
    This is clear and even more clever every day.

My Ride
    *The First*

Clever, clear or cleaver?
    The distinction is important.
    It's like selecting Hair/Heir/Herr Justin

Name:  Screenshot_20221208-205439.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  83.8 KB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast