Quantcast
MotoGP 2022 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2022

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Default MotoGP 2022 (or: This Week in Motorcycle Racing)

Anyone watching MotoGP this year? I started last year so I don't know a whole lot about it still, but there can't be much racing out there that's better than this.

I haven't been paying much attention to any offseason testing, but there's tons of Ducatis now and they were fast at the end of last year, so maybe that's a sign that they'll win a championship this year. I don't know why there aren't more Yamahas. They seem to be fast everywhere. If Honda has made a bike that can be ridden, and Marquez is healthy, he could rack up a lot of wins. If Suzuki has found more power they'll be a problem too. It'll be interesting to see what KTM's two rookies can do after finishing 1-2 in Moto2. Mooney VR46 has the best livery in the field, despite what stupid r/motogp says.

Also, with a year under his belt getting used to the bike I'm looking forward to seeing what Cam Beaubier does in Moto2. He kicked the shit out of everyone in MotoAmerica in 2020, and ran well in Moto2 last year until he fell off seemingly every race.

I'll also be watching British Superbikes again this year, and I think I saw something about the Daytona 200 being run as a MotoAmerica event so if that's the case I'll be watching that too. I might try to fit in World Superbikes too, and if any of the Irish roads are televised I'll be into that as well as the TT.

That's an awful lot of bike racing to be watching, but bikes are just so much more entertaining than cars.
    Last edited by SKR; 03-20-2022 at 02:41 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

Forgot to mention why I posted this, the first race of the season at Qatar is this weekend. Watch it on MotoGP.com or whatever TV network carries it or steal it from wherever.

Name:  shoulder down.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  302.9 KB
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    *The First*

As I've always said, you can't have Motorsports content without...

Name:  tom-segura-bikes.gif
Views: 460
Size:  1.09 MB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bike race is best race.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Are motogp races in the same time slot as f1 races?

My Ride

I don't know. F1 has two too many tires so I don't pay any attention.

If you mean are they live early in the morning here, then yeah probably. I watch the races on demand.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

MotoGP was my Sunday morning viewing in the UK, but I doubt I'd get up early enough to watch it here

I also have a mental block watching non-live sports, I usually check the results and watch a couple of highlights on soch'

Really enjoyed watching Marquez in the 2017 & 2018 seasons

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also have a mental block watching non-live sports
    I'm the other way. Watching sports live is an absolute nightmare, and I avoid it as much as possible.

I've heard NBC is carrying the races this year, but I don't know if that's regular NBC or what because it seems like every network has 16 different sub-networks and they make it as hard as possible to figure it out. Spoiler-free on motogp.com is how I'll be doing it.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Amazon doing a Drive to Survive for MotoGP, out on the 14th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgbS...channel=MotoGP
    Last edited by birdman86; 03-04-2022 at 11:53 AM.

My Ride

Qatar didn't go like I thought it would. Top 5 was last year's Ducati, KTM, Honda, Aprilia, Honda. Suzukis were quick. Yamahas weren't. This year's Ducati doesn't look as good as last year's. Bastianini has a way of just showing up out of nowhere.

Name:  bast.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  115.9 KB

I thought the Moto2 race was kind of dull. I wish Beaubier could find a way to qualify better. He's fast enough but he's always quagmired midfield.

MotoAmerica starts off with the Daytona 200 this weekend. I tried to watch it last year because Michael Dunlop was in it but NBC's streaming was so awful I just gave up. Hopefully MotoAmerica's service is better.
    Last edited by SKR; 03-09-2022 at 03:51 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

The Indonesian GP was entertaining enough, although only for the battles further back in the field. I've gone on record here before saying I don't like racing in the rain because it's such a wild card. Oliveira was lights out from the start. Quartararo and his Yamaha were back to looking like the reigning champion. Bagnaia stunk. Vinales stunk worse, and good for him because he's a dickhead. Darryn Binder had a great ride.

Name:  Indonesian GP.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  85.2 KB

Marc Marquez was declared medically unfit after a massive 180km/hr highside during the warmup before the race (video here, I don't know how to post reddit videos https://old.reddit.com/r/motogp/comm...ghside_gp_wup/).

Name:  Marc Marquez.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  65.7 KB

Also, last week was the Daytona 200. Great race, and won by .007 seconds. Watch it free on Youtube. The actual race is from 25:00 to 40:00 when it was red flagged, and restarted at 1:09:00 to 2:44:00.

2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

Also, I'd like to point out for anyone considering whether the MotoGP videopass is worth the $140/year or whatever it is, it includes races from every season back to 2002. Go watch 6 of Rossi's 7 championships.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

I believe is 140 euro. About $200 cdn. I'd love to get it but it's about 50% more than I'm willing to shell out.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride

3 races into the season and 9 different riders on the podium. Big first win for Aleix Espargaro and Aprilia. Suzukis finish 3rd and 4th. Martin finished 2nd and Bagnaia finished 5th I think so maybe Ducati has started to sort things out.

Name:  20220404013010_Aleix_Espargaro_Aprilia_Argentina_MotoGP.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  851.5 KB

COTA next Sunday. Also MotoAmerica at COTA next Sunday, and World Superbikes at Aragon. I don't know much about either series but I'm going to watch this year.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

For all the struggles Ducati has had to start the season, it seems like finally they've turned things around by taking the top 5 qualifying spots at COTA, and all 5 of those finishing in the top 9 including Enea Bastianini getting his second win of the season. The race at the front was pretty scrappy, but just as entertaining was Marc Marquez coming from dead last after a problem at the start to finish 6th.

Name:  MotoGP Bastianini.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  57.7 KB

Also at COTA was MotoAmerica. Danilo Petrucci retired from MotoGP last year, and is riding for Warhorse Ducati in MotoAmerica this year. COTA is the only American track he's familiar with so it'll be interesting to see how the season goes, but it's starting with back to back wins in race 1 Saturday and race 2 today.

Name:  MotoAmerica 1 Petrucci.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  MotoAmerica 2 Petrucci.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  98.2 KB

World Superbikes started their season at Aragon this weekend Race 1 was pretty tight with Toprak Razgatlioglu, Jonathan Rea and Alvaro Bautista battling at the front. Rea came away with the win in race 1 on Saturday, and Bautista won the Superpole race and race 2 Sunday.

Name:  WSBK 1 Rea.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  WSBK Superpole Bautista.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  91.4 KB

Next weekend should be pretty casual compared to this weekend with the British Superbikes season starting at Silverstone.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

This weekend was the opening round of British Superbikes at Silverstone. BSB is my favorite racing series. They're not the 300+hp MotoGP bikes, but they're still 250hp and have no electronics. And it's competitive - anybody in the top 20 could be in the top 5, it's so close.

A great start for Glenn Irwin with 3 races and 3 wins. Last season's champion, Tarran Mackenzie, was out due to injuries sustained in preseason testing so tough luck for him. The National circuit seemed to suit Irwin's Honda, the Yamahas and Kawasakis. The BMWs and Ducatis didn't seem to be suited to the course at all. Guys like Josh Brookes and Peter Hickman are way down the standings. We'll see what they can do as the season progresses. It's a similar start to 2020 where Glenn and Andy Irwin came storming out of the gate, and it wasn't until late in the season when Brookes finally chased them down. There's 30 more races to go in the season so it's a long way from won or lost yet.

Name:  2022-BSB-Rnd1-Silverstone-SBK-R1-Irwin-Lead.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  505.6 KB
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

It was a good race for MotoGP at Portimao this weekend. A good ride from Joan Mir at the start, but Fabio Quartararo was dominant and got his first win of the season. Mir eventually crashed out with Jack Miller, allowing Aleix Espargaro to finish 3rd on the Aprilia, which I like to see. Alex Rins started 23rd and ended up 4th. Francesco Bagnaia salvaged an 8th, which can probable be seen as good after Ducati's awful start to the season.

Name:  MotoGP Quartararo.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  202.9 KB

In World Superbikes, Jonathan Rea finished ahead of Alvaro Bautista and Toprak Razgatlioglu in the Superbike 1 and Superpole races. This is my first season watching WSBK and it's becoming pretty apparent that the podium is always going to be these 3. In Superbike 2, Rea and Razgatlioglu crashed out leaving Bautista to win.

Name:  WSBK 1 Rea.jpeg
Views: 299
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  WSBK 2 Bautista.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  113.3 KB

And in MotoAmerica, Danilo Petrucci went 3 for 3 on the season, winning race 1 on Saturday, but blew his motor on lap 1 in race 2, allowing Jake Gagne to cruise to a win with a margin of something like 14 seconds. Gagne won 17 races in a row or something like that last season so he's supposed to be the big swinging dick around there, but he had bike trouble at COTA and this is the first weekend he's really been able to race, so it's hard to say how he stacks up against Petrucci. I suspect like WSBK, MotoAmerica is going to feature podiums of Petrucci, Gagne and either Cam Peterson or Mathew Scholtz.

Name:  MotoAmerica Superbike 1 Petrucci.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  MotoAmerica Superbike 2 Gagne.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  396.5 KB

Next weekend is a little lighter, with MotoGP at Jerez and British Superbikes at Oulton Park.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

A good run for Ducati at Jerez as Francesco Bagnaia led from pillar to post, and Jack Miller finished 5th. First place wasn't much of a battle, but third place was with Aleix Espargaro, Marc Marquez, Miller and Joan Mir all in a tight scrap.

Name:  Bagnaia Jerez.jpeg
Views: 281
Size:  64.5 KB

Also, race 1 of British Superbikes at Oulton Park was today. Bradley Ray won his first race since 2018, holding off Rory Skinner, Kyle Ryde, Josh Brookes, Peter Hickman and Tommy Bridewell. Brookes has had an atrocious start to the 2022 season, after an atrocious 2021 season, so it's good to see him finish closer to the front. Bridewell was on a tear until the race was red flagged for a crash involving David Johnson. Races 2 and 3 are tomorrow.

Name:  Ray Oulton Park.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  381.1 KB
    Last edited by SKR; 05-02-2022 at 06:17 PM.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

Races 2 and 3 of BSB went today at Oulton Park. Another win in race 2 for Bradley Ray. Yamahas are always strong in BSB, but it's a bit of a surprise that it's the Rich Energy OMG team rather than McAMS since this is their first year with Yamaha. Luke Mossey had a scary looking crash but walked away. In race 3, it looked like Ray was running away with it again until Tommy Bridewell and Lee Jackson reeled him in. Jackson got around Bridewell to win his first race in BSB. Tom Neave was stretchered off in another scary crash, but has been discharged from hospital. I still haven't heard anything about David Johnson from yesterday, which I'm taking to be good news. I think of him more as a road racer so maybe he'll lay low until the TT 4 weeks from now.

Name:  Ray Oulton Park 2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  288.7 KB

Name:  Jackson Oulton Park 3.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  963.6 KB

No racing next weekend. Next up is the North West 200 May 12-14, and MotoGP at Le Mans May 15.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride

The Supersport and Superstock races on the first day at the North West 200 have finished. Rainy conditions led to many of the top riders to drop out, but favorite Alastair Seeley stayed in to win both races over Davey Todd. The Supertwin race was cancelled due to conditions and darkness. Racing will resume Saturday with Supersport race 2, Superbike race 1, Supertwin race 2, Superstock race 2 and Superbike race 2.

Despite the rain, I think Davey Todd was fastest through the speed trap at 196mph.

Name:  Seeley Supersport.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  281.4 KB
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast