Quantcast
Going back to Post Secondary, Tablet or Laptop? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going back to Post Secondary, Tablet or Laptop?

Default Going back to Post Secondary, Tablet or Laptop?

Its been a hot minute since I've had to contemplate the problems of university life, but times change and apparently my field of work did as well.

So in light of going back to uni, it seems in this day and age some sort of electronic type device for note taking and online access would make life a bit easier.

Does the Beyond hive-mind have any recommendations? In talking with some of my younger friends, it seems laptops are pretty prevalent, but I already have a very nice desktop. The added bonus of a tablet being so small/light seems a substantial benefit.

No Apple products, I don't use their ecosystem. Anything else, and almost any pricepoint is on the table. No gaming needs, thats what the desktop is for, so I assume that will keep the price sane-ish.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you want a non apple tablet, MS surface is probably the only real alternative.

That said. Tablets are kindof a gimmick, you will use it for note taking for a few days then give up on it.

Post secondary is all about soft copy PowerPoints these days with few exceptions, you will realize that there is not a lot of note taking to be done aside from a few typed scribbles in the note section of PowerPoint.

I would personally buy the cheapest normal slim laptop with an SSD in whatever size you want and consider it disposable. Keep an eye on the battery life ratings because that matters. I think the Lenovo carbon devices come highly recommended but anything will do.

If you insist on taking notes by hand, a remarkable is a better device for this. But doesn’t replace a laptop which you will absolutely need. Don’t be that guy who “has a desktop at home so I don’t need a laptop”

Only caveat to the above, is to know the requirements of your program for computing needs. Namely, if you are taking a CAD heavy or video editing etc. type workflow you might need to think hard about if you need more horsepower than a $500 dollar laptop will give you. If you are taking a lab excel heavy degree like finance, consider a 15” device. Excel sucks on a tiny screen
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I just use a pen and paper for taking any notes, but a lot of that is because I remember things easier if I write them down, and for some things like math it's easier to draw pictures or whatever you need.

I think a laptop would be handy for being able to do your own work at school without using school computers. I almost never use mine. I think a tablet would be completely useless.

I'm in a trade school. Maybe in a hoity toity university class it would be different.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

MS surface is what you're looking for.

I use one for work, the portability and performance has been a great combination.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

We bought my 9 year old daughter a $150 Acer Chromebook for her grade 4 work. I've used it and was quite impressed how quick it ran and the google apps are very smooth on it. Assuming you don't need Microsoft Office and could make do with Google pages, sheets and whatever their powerpoint knockoff is, it might be something to consider. It's small, lightweight, SSD hard drive and the battery power is fantastic. The one we got doesn't have the touch screen, I've seen some that act as a tablet with the touch screen and that would be a bonus.

Also, this one seems to be a steal (there is a big thread on RedFlagDeals about it). $430 down to $130. You can buy a keyboard for it as well. Would probably do the trick

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/lapto...let/82am000eus

My Ride
    ute

For pure note taking, I use a remarkable. It's much much better than a tablet for that purpose.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like getting a chrome book falls into the “don’t be that guy” category

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

No one using android's auto dictate feature.
    Record the lesson and have it fully typed out for you.
    Do you even need to go to class sober?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You never did.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

You should absolutely source out an 80's era luggable computer Like an IBM 5155 for example
    Name:  ibm5155.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  29.3 KB

Hack in a modern display and motherboard and really show those kids what a PC should be

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

There's a few decent surface alternatives out there. We really like the Lenovo yoga. It definitely has the best of both worlds without paying surface premium. My fiancée wants to get one for everyday use and for wedding planning. Her mom uses one for everyday business use (psychologist)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    You should absolutely source out an 80's era luggable computer Like an IBM 5155 for example

Hack in a modern display and motherboard and really show those kids what a PC should be
    The thought did cross my mind to retromod something from my youth, but I'm not that old, technically a millennial. They weren't kidding when they said we'd have multiple careers in our lifetime.

I'll look into remarkable, I definitely would prefer to write notes vs type as I find writing helps me with memorization. My concern was mainly if lectures had changed to the point writing wasn't feasible, then something I could use to markup class notes while listening to the lecture was what I was thinking.

I would personally buy the cheapest normal slim laptop with an SSD in whatever size you want and consider it disposable.

If you insist on taking notes by hand, a remarkable is a better device for this. But doesn’t replace a laptop which you will absolutely need. Don’t be that guy who “has a desktop at home so I don’t need a laptop”
    All good points to consider, luckily not taking anything computing heavy at this time. So maybe a lightweight laptop with ~13" screen may be ideal? Keep a notebook for scribbling while referencing specific professor notes.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    The thought did cross my mind to retromod something from my youth, but I'm not that old, technically a millennial. They weren't kidding when they said we'd have multiple careers in our lifetime.

I'll look into remarkable, I definitely would prefer to write notes vs type as I find writing helps me with memorization. My concern was mainly if lectures had changed to the point writing wasn't feasible, then something I could use to markup class notes while listening to the lecture was what I was thinking.
    I think you'll find that many prof's have online notes available now. I remember how terrible a job high school did of scarring the living shit out of everyone about how impossible it was to take all the adequate notes that the incredibly demanding prof's had, etc etc etc.

Don't worry about that, at all!

I made it through a metric shit pile of courses and this was an issue exactly zero times. What the prof's want you to write down is crystal clear as day.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you get slides in advance you can pdf them and load them to remarkable. Minimizes the note taking.

fact.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Microsoft Suface Pro is a nice mix of tablet portability and functionality with the performance of a laptop and a proper operating system.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

When I was in uni I sweet talked a gal into letting me photocopy her notes the week before the final. Those were great notes.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    When I was in uni I sweet talked a gal into letting me photocopy her notes the week before the final. Those were great notes.
    What did she get out of the deal? Did you bang her dad?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

A smile and a warm feeling in her heart. Maybe a pitcher of beer.

I used to photocopy entire textbooks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast