Quantcast
New build and fence - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New build and fence

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Default New build and fence

Some of my neighbours are discussing about getting our fences and decks done this year. But not everyone is onboard with it because they are told to wait for couple years for the ground for settle first.

What’s your experience on getting the fence and deck done after a year of moving in?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of my neighbours are discussing about getting our fences and decks done this year. But not everyone is onboard with it because they are told to wait for couple years for the ground for settle first.

What’s your experience on getting the fence and deck done after a year of moving in?
    That's dumb. Do it now.
    Aren't there piles drilled for the deck, anyways?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I’d wait to do any patios or shit up near the foundation excavation but fence and deck posts? yolo.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    I’d wait to do any patios or shit up near the foundation excavation but fence and deck posts? yolo.
    Ya we did a new build and just did fence as soon as possible no issues so far and most houses around us did the same.

Did deck within a year as well, the builder decks next to us put in helical screw piles not even a month after the foundation was poured and backfilled.

We also did a concrete patio and just put in support brackets. The concrete guy recommended brackets until it's been at least several years so we didn't see a point in waiting a year.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'm a long way from an expert on this, but in saying that - I still know a couple things.
    The way modern housing foundations and pilings are installed radically mitigates differential settlement, and that's the thing that fucks everyone, every time.
    For a fence, it's a simple lottery if you're going to lose on what's most likely to screw you and that is Frost Heave. Don't want that? Drill down and then drill down some more.
    For a deck... It should be safe to say that differential settlement shouldn't be an issue. And if you experience more significant uniform settlement over the years this can still easily be corrected by jacking and installing shims.
    I'm a bit spoiled because where I am, deck settlement became enough of an issue that my deck got something ludicrous like 5 piles drilled for it when it is honestly hilariously small, but still... We're talking millimeters over years, not inches over months.
    Get in there and start enjoying the fruits.
    Don't you want to enjoy the fruits?!!?
    Don't make me post a Freddy Got Fingered clip.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Get that fence up unless you want dog shit and piss ruining your chances at the beyond green off 2022 edition
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Get that fence up unless you want dog shit and piss ruining your chances at the beyond green off 2022 edition
    Got a fence 2 months after my new build. 10 months later - has been fine and solid so far, no significant issues or obvious settlement (had to adjust the lock placement on one gate, that's it).
    Do it up. Leave anyone who doesn't want to in the dust.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    beyond green off 2022 edition
    Tell me more.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Only suggestion is to wait until after they do the final grading or else you end up with bullshit like my neighbours where their yard is lower than both sides.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Thanks guys.

I am quite set on doing it this year. But since some of the neighbours brought up the topic so it got me thinking for any potential issues many years down the road.

Since the frost line is typically 4ft below ground, is there any drawback to have them go 6ft?

Any suggestions on what else I should add to the deck so it's relatively future proof and nearly maintenance free? Or items that you wish you did or didn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Only suggestion is to wait until after they do the final grading or else you end up with bullshit like my neighbours where their yard is lower than both sides.
    The builder already completed the final grading for all the homeowners that are interested. One of the company that came out for a quote said they will touch up to smooth out the grading on couple houses.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s a fence, not a suspension bridge lol

I’d avoid anything around the foundation though I agree. I had tons of issues at my last place with the backfill being done poorly and huge cavities under cement decks/walkways opening up.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Thanks guys.

I am quite set on doing it this year. But since some of the neighbours brought up the topic so it got me thinking for any potential issues many years down the road.

Since the frost line is typically 4ft below ground, is there any drawback to have them go 6ft?

Any suggestions on what else I should add to the deck so it's relatively future proof and nearly maintenance free? Or items that you wish you did or didn't do.

The builder already completed the final grading for all the homeowners that are interested. One of the company that came out for a quote said they will touch up to smooth out the grading on couple houses.
    The drawback of going 6' down is that you now need monster length fence posts, which are stupid expensive (get the HELOC ready).

We did 3'-6" to 4' deep and used 10' posts.

Also use 6x6 or at least 4x6 posts if possible. Those 4x4 posts twist and warp like a mother fucker.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Usually I've seen 4ft or auger-depth. IMO don't bother with the one or two-man augers, go for the towable one. Makes life alot easier when you hit rocks and shit. Or even better since you're doing a whole bunch at once, hire a bobcat guy to drill them for you.

I put these sunblinds on my deck, great option for when you want privacy. Basically only time I have them open is when we get crazy winds.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pyl...ack/1001353173

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I waited a year on my fence for our new build as did my neighbors, but I had my deck in few months after final grading was done. No issues with deck piles as mine are 14 ft away from the house and are 5ft deep. No issues with fence either. I contracted out my deck piles and fence/lawn to a great company (pm me for contact); they ended up doing the 6 houses around me all at once. I did the deck myself, just not the piles.

Fence contractor recommended 4x6 posts and no warping or twisting on any of them. A neighbor insisted on 6x6 for their fence and all kinds of warping.

As for future proofing the deck. Treated wood everywhere for the structure, look into the different types and uses. Light coloured composite flooring (mid to high end, I went with Timbertech). Lighter colours wont fade. most are scratch "resistant", put a bbq mat down under your grill.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Or even better since you're doing a whole bunch at once, hire a bobcat guy to drill them for you.
    This 1000%.

If you're doing multiple houses just get a bobcat to do them all in 1 shot. You will hit about 7000 rocks and hate your life if you do them by hand.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

This 1000%.

If you're doing multiple houses just get a bobcat to do them all in 1 shot. You will hit about 7000 rocks and hate your life if you do them by hand.
    depending on the community the bobcat will hit 7000 rocks and you'll have to finish them off anyway lol.... but 1000% get a bobcat guy with an auger, you wont regret it, used to be $10 a hole i think? Just gotta mark them before they show up.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

This 1000%.

I saw the massive boulders that came out when they dug my house. No chance I was gonna dig anything deep on my property myself. I've even hit a few while planting trees.

I did see the contractors hand dig a few of them and question their life choices while doing it.

My Ride
    *The First*

And if you use concrete (not needed) remember that it's post first, then concrete. Do not add concrete to the hole and then set the post in it.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    And if you use concrete (not needed) remember that it's post first, then concrete. Do not add concrete to the hole and then set the post in it.
    What do you mean concrete not needed? Use the post foam stuff?

My Ride
    08 Forester XT

My neighbour contracted the bobcat guy for our fence too. A couple of my deck holes were off center and I had to expand using that long handled clam shell scoop, FML never again.

You can get the 24" auger for tree holes at the same time, if you're planning on those in the near future. We had to use the neighbour's 4wheeler to drag the trees into the holes, good times!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast