Quantcast
Traffic Ticket: Process for Online Dispute vs Not Guilty Plea - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Traffic Ticket: Process for Online Dispute vs Not Guilty Plea

Question Traffic Ticket: Process for Online Dispute vs Not Guilty Plea

Hi all, now that we have this new online system for traffic violations, I am trying to properly understand the process and was hoping that somebody here would be able to provide some insight. I am having a very hard time finding the information online.

Received a traffic ticket and genuinely believe that it was incorrectly issued by the officer. Not a technicality or anything, but does not apply so am not guilty of a violation (I realize how this sounds, but the whole story is not really relevant).

Normally I would go downtown to talk to the bench/JP (?) person at the window to see if the ticket could be dismissed, but this process is no longer in place.

The online options for the ticket are now:

1) plead guilty and pay fine
    2) dispute the ticket and submit the reason online
    3) request trial date

While it seems that an online dispute would be a simpler first step rather than requesting a trial, it does not specify how this process actually works.
    The website says that the dispute process simply sends your form to the prosecutor to decide your fate. It does not explain if I will be forced to accept the decision that they come to or if I can still plead not guilty afterward. Being the prosecutor, it seems that it would be in their interest to simply find everyone guilty and force the fine payment.

Does anyone have any insight? Should I be using the dispute feature in good faith in order to simplify the process, or should I be skipping straight to a trial request?

Appreciate any help! TIA!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The online or write in method isn’t new, have always been around. That said I’ve never heard of anyone successfully getting tossed out using that option. Go get a trial date. Way more fun anyways.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Go talk to the JP in person. I have had two tickets reduced to the minimum and one ticket tossed that was BS that way. One did have to make it all the way to court, where I got it tossed as well.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go talk to the JP in person. I have had two tickets reduced to the minimum and one ticket tossed that was BS that way. One did have to make it all the way to court, where I got it tossed as well.
    I think that’s the setting court date process now. They got rid of talking to JP during Covid. Not sure if they reinstated that or not.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I think that’s the setting court date process now. They got rid of talking to JP during Covid. Not sure if they reinstated that or not.
    Well that's shit... I don't respond well to change.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

AFAIK, at least in edmonton, the courts have not pulled the COVID restrictions yet.

Yeah we also no longer have the option to talk to the JP in person. I guess the online dispute option is supposed to be the replacement for that.

Setting a court date seems like way more hassle, but maybe the better option since the online dispute process seems very ambiguous. I still can't determine what options you're given after they review the dispute, so I don't want to be waiving my option of pleading not guilty and instead being forced to accept the dispute's outcome.

My Ride
    06 TL

You can also try emailing them and seeing if they'll reduce it but it's pretty rare they toss anything completely: [email protected]

Generally I'm with Rage - get a trial date. They're booking out into late 2023, so you get to delay a possible conviction/fine for 1.5 years, and there's always a chance the officer doesn't show up. If he does, they almost always offer you a deal prior to trial to avoid wasting court time. You'll be in and out of the courthouse in 30 minutes.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Cops don’t have to show up anymore. They’re basically writing out a statement and that’s their testimony if it goes to trial.

My Ride
    06 TL

Cops don’t have to show up anymore. They’re basically writing out a statement and that’s their testimony if it goes to trial.
    I know they've been doing this for intersection camera tickets - have they been doing it even for cases where you're physically pulled over?

That's interesting. In that case couldn't anyone just request discovery and then basically get a copy of the cop's entire testimony?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by JoniBoy View Post
    I know they've been doing this for intersection camera tickets - have they been doing it even for cases where you're physically pulled over?
    For me it did haha.

Name:  084D1FA6-E46C-485E-8F74-F80325389565.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  232.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by s3v3n View Post
    That's interesting. In that case couldn't anyone just request discovery and then basically get a copy of the cop's entire testimony?
    Ya the whole affidavit is attached on the next page.

Awesome thanks guys, that's pretty helpful.
    Looks like they are booking about 20 months out now.

Quote Originally Posted by a61z View Post

1) plead guilty and pay fine
    2) dispute the ticket and submit the reason online
    3) request trial date

While it seems that an online dispute would be a simpler first step rather than requesting a trial, it does not specify how this process actually works.
    The website says that the dispute process simply sends your form to the prosecutor to decide your fate. It does not explain if I will be forced to accept the decision that they come to or if I can still plead not guilty afterward. Being the prosecutor, it seems that it would be in their interest to simply find everyone guilty and force the fine payment.

Does anyone have any insight? Should I be using the dispute feature in good faith in order to simplify the process, or should I be skipping straight to a trial request?
    Did this in jan and no you dont have to accept their decision. You explain your case and then they send you back a decision but you will get to decide if you accept it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Did this in jan and no you dont have to accept their decision. You explain your case and then they send you back a decision but you will get to decide if you accept it or not.
    +2 for this.
    Nothing really to lose by submitting an online reduction request.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Another element of the online not guilty plea is for the purposes of letting demerits expire, if you happen to find yourself in that situation.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Is it still online only or can you show up now?

Got a ticket with no speed recorded or speed limit.

My Ride
    G35

Is it possible to request discovery/disclosure (officer dash cam footage) before requesting a trial or only after ?
    Does listing the incorrect city/location on the ticket affect validity ?

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by rvd View Post
    Is it possible to request discovery/disclosure (officer dash cam footage) before requesting a trial or only after ?
    Does listing the incorrect city/location on the ticket affect validity ?
    The location doesnt have to be precise itll say at or near xx city/town etc that wont matter.