LT Rated AT Truck Tires - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: LT Rated AT Truck Tires

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    bump.

Looking for truck/SUV tires for a pavement princess that will be the primary tire. Priorities in this order: Winter traction (snowflake rating), wear, noise, cost.

275/60/20 if that matters. What I have so far -

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S
    Firestone Destination A/T2
    Falken Wildpeak
    Michelin LTX
    If its a pavement princess I'd go Michelin LTX. Quiet and long wear life. Can do better for snow winter traction, but added noise and more wear is the trade off.

Maybe look at some actual All Weather tires? I had some Toyo Celsius on my previous family SUV and it was pretty decent in winter.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Michelin LTX is usually the answer to every question.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    If its a pavement princess I'd go Michelin LTX. Quiet and long wear life. Can do better for snow winter traction, but added noise and more wear is the trade off.

Maybe look at some actual All Weather tires? I had some Toyo Celsius on my previous family SUV and it was pretty decent in winter.
    What’s the difference between “All Weather” vs a snowflake rated AT?

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Pretty much the same as the difference between a regular A/T and an All-Season...the A/T will usually be more geared toward doing gravelly roads or muddy tracks and an all-season is for road driving

The Toyo ATIII is a good one that has a snowflake rating and as I mentioned, I quite like the Coopers too

If you're going to an LT rated on (what sounds like) a half-ton, it's not going to have as good a winter performance as a standard load as it will be much stiffer

My Ride

The "real" All Weather tires are more like an all season with a snowflake that does well in winter. Now please take that with a grain of salt as the tire market is flooded with manufacturers that have all weather ratings, 4 seasons, and many unregulated rating systems. Most are just all seasons with marketing, but some are decent.

All the all weather tires that I've seen are not LT rated, but all are less aggressive tread pattern for less road noise and wear.

The LTX has all the characteristics of an all weather tire.

@tirebob help out here? This all weather tire thing is a real can of worms.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

P-rated vs LT-C vs LT-E is already controversial enough for half-ton or smaller trucks. Layer in All-season vs All-weather and it gets pretty weird and individual. There is not a widespread single answer.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

The "real" All Weather tires are more like an all season with a snowflake that does well in winter. Now please take that with a grain of salt as the tire market is flooded with manufacturers that have all weather ratings, 4 seasons, and many unregulated rating systems. Most are just all seasons with marketing, but some are decent.

All the all weather tires that I've seen are not LT rated, but all are less aggressive tread pattern for less road noise and wear.

Yeah maybe tirebob can chime in.

This is for an Armada for what its worth. Here in Southern Sask the snow isn't too horrific and usually blows off the frozen highways in the winter. This won't be for any deep stuff, just for mainly road and highway use. I know the answer is a dedicated snow tire, but trying to avoid it if I can for a good all-weather.
    Last edited by jutes; 06-14-2022 at 01:28 PM.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Yeah maybe tirebob can chime in.

This is for an Armada for what its worth. Here in Southern Sask the snow isn't too horrific and usually blows off the frozen highways in the winter. This won't be for any deep stuff, just for mainly road and highway use. I know the answer is a dedicated snow tire, but trying to avoid it if I can for a good all-weather.
    Are 90% of the roads in Southern Sask gravel, or is it just where I've been?

I managed a couple weeks in the dead of last winter in a Ford Explorer on the stock all seasons down all the gravel shite that Esterhazy could throw at me

My Ride

If not doing any heavy towing prob don't need the LT 10 ply and all the stiff ride from it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I sure wouldn't want LT tires on an armada.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by haggis88 View Post
    Are 90% of the roads in Southern Sask gravel, or is it just where I've been?

I managed a couple weeks in the dead of last winter in a Ford Explorer on the stock all seasons down all the gravel shite that Esterhazy could throw at me
    Yes 90% are gravel lol but normally frozen over with a layer of ice. I fired off a few quotes for the Michelin LTX and see where that takes me. The stock Bridgestone's are garbage even in the summer.

My Ride

Nissan has this boner for Bridgestone that I hope I never understand.

If not doing any heavy towing prob don't need the LT 10 ply and all the stiff ride from it.
    I'd be curious how LT "c" tires would be versus LT "e" which most LT tires are.

I just put the Wildpeaks on the dirtymax, so I have no reference to give for winter tires. They are quiet relative to the diesel engine, but they definitely make some light noise. Quite comfortable, especially if you aren't someone that decides running 55+psi at all times is necessary.

But having owned a lot of trucks through lots of winters, the answer is winter tires for winter in the lighter trucks. Just not enough weight to get good traction with all seasons, including the LTX.

Open countries and duratracs rate "good" in winter, but having been on OC3's in the winter, I disagree with that.

I think Michelin has a more winter appropriate LTX designed for people like yourself. But LTX is definitely the go to.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

Sorry for the late reply gents! Power has been out at our place since 1:00PM. Just came back on a few minutes ago.

So "All Weather" and "All Season" both carry the M&S symbol. Now "All Weather" and "Winter" both carry the 3PMS (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake) symbol on top of M&S but the "All Season" does not.

Basically the idea is that an All Weather tire has demonstrated a minimum 10% improvement over an all season. Over what bench mark tire, who can really say, but that is what it is. It is not a government implemented standard but instead is an Industry implemented standard that the government adopts.

You can't really just go by something having the symbol as being good in winter, because 10% is pathetic, but that said, many are definitely much better than just 10% better. It is more than a matter of it being an AT or normal passenger tire. Since the minimum is a 10% improvement, many tires can barely pass and still be branded. You need to look at the differences in the tire design and how you intend to use the vehicle situationally, and then buy accordingly like anything else.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I haven't seen any mention of Nitto's. I have been pretty happy with them. Current setup on my Duramax is Nitto Ridge Grappler for summer, studded Duratracs for winter, both tires look and perform good. I have also ran Toyo Open Country's and have been very happy with them overall.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Sorry for the late reply gents! Power has been out at our place since 1:00PM. Just came back on a few minutes ago.

So "All Weather" and "All Season" both carry the M&S symbol. Now "All Weather" and "Winter" both carry the 3PMS (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake) symbol on top of M&S but the "All Season" does not.

Basically the idea is that an All Weather tire has demonstrated a minimum 10% improvement over an all season. Over what bench mark tire, who can really say, but that is what it is. It is not a government implemented standard but instead is an Industry implemented standard that the government adopts.

You can't really just go by something having the symbol as being good in winter, because 10% is pathetic, but that said, many are definitely much better than just 10% better. It is more than a matter of it being an AT or normal passenger tire. Since the minimum is a 10% improvement, many tires can barely pass and still be branded. You need to look at the differences in the tire design and how you intend to use the vehicle situationally, and then buy accordingly like anything else.
    So what tire would you recommend for a full-size SUV/truck that is good for winter use?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The standard of winter for the 3PMS logo is extremely low.

I had a set of Pirellis p zeros with the symbol that were properly useless.

The duratracs on my sierra left me wanting for very little in winter / cold conditions. In a lot of cases they performed better than the dedicated winters I have had on other vehicles. They only really fell short on sheer ice. Studs are helpful with that but I doubt you would want studs on duratracs year round.

I used to run good year ultra grip ice wrt’s on my FJ cruiser. They seemed good too. And no one would mistake them for an off road tire.

I have dunlop winter max SJ8s on my wife’s little SUV which also seem quite good.
    Last edited by killramos; 06-15-2022 at 08:28 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

So what tire would you recommend for a full-size SUV/truck that is good for winter use?
    Hakkapeliitta LT3, non studded.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Great suggestions so far. Most quotes I've received for the LTXs are $1800-2000 installed.

Canadatire has the Cooper AT3 4S on sale with a mail-in rebate right now for about $800 less total. I don't think the LTXs are worth the $800 over the AT3s for example.

My Ride

As an example, the difference in the Michelin Cross Climate 2 and Cross Climate SUV are so different (almost no siping in the CC SUV) yet both carry the mountain snow flake.

I'm interested in what Bob's recommendation as well.

I was in this same situation in October and ended up going winter wheels/tires and summer wheels/tires on the daily drivers to avoid the headache.

I'd also check the Hakka WR G4 and still think the Michelin Cross Climate 2 is worth a look.

+1 on Killy's review of Duratracs.
    Last edited by DonJuan; 06-15-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast