Quantcast
LT Rated AT Truck Tires - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LT Rated AT Truck Tires

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes 90% are gravel lol but normally frozen over with a layer of ice. I fired off a few quotes for the Michelin LTX and see where that takes me. The stock Bridgestone's are garbage even in the summer.
    I recommend different tires all the time. No one tire is going to be better in every regard for every driving style, preference etc.. Some people are crazy nervous on ice and want the absolutely most glare ice traction possible and absolutely don't care about road noise so I may suggest a studded tire for them. Someone else may be a nervous driver too but hate any noise outside the norm and don't care if a tire wears out faster so then maybe a Blizzak or one of the other softest compounds with high sipe density. Other guys go offroad a fair bit or live up an unplowed township road and deeper snow is more of an issue, and maybe do a ton of mileage so want some better wear than a sticky winter, and they are not nervous on the street and slow down a bit when it is shitty, and then I look at more aggressive tread AT types like the Duratrac.

These are just a few examples of variables that affect what my recommendations might be. You always have to remember there are trade offs and no one tire has every quality and that improving one area means a sacrifice in another, and a tire that tries for everything is not the best at anything.

If you want to get more of an evaluation from me, shoot me an e-mail and I will mine into it for you no problem.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    ...Duratracs are a good option but aren't as nice on the highway. Both regularly go on sale at CT...
    x1,000

Great for shoulder season driving, dead of winter they were not great once the studs wore out.
    Ultracrepidarian

Great suggestions so far. Most quotes I've received for the LTXs are $1800-2000 installed.

Canadatire has the Cooper AT3 4S on sale with a mail-in rebate right now for about $800 less total. I don't think the LTXs are worth the $800 over the AT3s for example.
    Costco for LTXs I've found to be the best price since forever. If you didn't get a quote from them, I recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

Great suggestions so far. Most quotes I've received for the LTXs are $1800-2000 installed.

Canadatire has the Cooper AT3 4S on sale with a mail-in rebate right now for about $800 less total. I don't think the LTXs are worth the $800 over the AT3s for example.
    Those coopers are not bad at all for a sub-$300 per tire product in that size. The Michelins are definitely one of the smoothest you will run on, but you are not getting proportionally better for the extra dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Those coopers are not bad at all for a sub-$300 per tire product in that size. The Michelins are definitely one of the smoothest you will run on, but you are not getting proportionally better for the extra dollars.
    though tread depth may be similar I think the LTX siping is deeper and performs better longer

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I have the Cooper AT3 XLTs and have zero complaints. Extremely quiet (coming from duratracs) good tread depth and I think they look good too. The XLT doesnt have great traction in snow/ice, but the 4S is a different compound. I ran them for one winter and then got dedicated. WIth the Canadian Tire sales, they are tough to beat.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Went with the Cooper 4S as they are on sale now at CT. I’ll be installing them in fall.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Coopers are a good choice. I'm interested in how they do in the worst winter conditions.
    Last edited by DonJuan; 07-11-2022 at 08:59 AM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Coopers are a good choice. I'm interested in how they do in the worst winter conditions.
    Now that I've had a full winter on them, I can highly recommend the Coopers if you have a truck/SUV and just want something for all-year use, without going full winter tire. They are quiet and have very good traction in the snow where stopping distances are predictable. We drove on an ice covered highway over the holidays with a heavy crosswind. Didn't feel like I was losing control, very planted and stable. These tires are mounted on a 4x4 6000lb SUV so the sheer weight on the tires could improve traction? Could be different for lighter trucks. I'm in sask so my comments are based off driving on relatively flat, straight highways and roads. For the price I highly recommend them and I see a lot of vehicles using these already.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I had good luck with my LT “C” weight rating duratracs year round. Slightly underperformed on ice, similar to a performance winter.

/brokenrecord
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@bobbie , and everyone else, is there such a thing as those "all-weather" tires for pickup trucks? Like a mildly winter biased all season HT tire or something?

Been having fever dreams of buying that.

Maybe it's more like a "performance winter" tire, but load rated for a half ton truck. Is that an Xtra-load rating?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Something like this perhaps?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    @bobbie , and everyone else, is there such a thing as those "all-weather" tires for pickup trucks? Like a mildly winter biased all season HT tire or something?

Been having fever dreams of buying that.

Maybe it's more like a "performance winter" tire, but load rated for a half ton truck. Is that an Xtra-load rating?
    Why not duratracs? That literally sounds like duratracs.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    V8s

Michelin ltx m/s ostensibly fits that bill too, but much like other all weather tires, they still kinda suck compared to dedicated winters when on ice or in super cold weather.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, I'm either dreaming of something that doesn't exist, or not explaining well.

I know about all-season tires. I remember when your option was all-season or winter. Then some marketing genius came up with the term "all-weather" and the premise was that it was almost a true winter tire, but still useable in summer heat. Ya know?

Maybe it's just marketing, but that winter-biased concept appeals to me, as currently I run dedicated load range E tires for towing in the summer anyway.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well the all weather tires are all season tires that have slightly softer compound and more accommodating tread to accommodate winter conditions.

And you want them in truck sizes.

Duratracs hit all of your requirements, literally an all season on off road tire that has above average AS winter performance, you just don’t seem to like that answer?

KAL seems to have tires with the marketing label you want in SUV sizes, maybe see if any of those meet your requirements too?
    Last edited by killramos; 09-19-2023 at 08:12 AM.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Accurate. I don't.

I also don't think Duratrac has any "softer compound" than other AT tires.

In truth, I've been satisfied with the performance of the GY AT adventure w/ Kevlar in snow and even deep cold. Very respectable. Maybe just stick with those.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I remember talking to the michelin guys at a tire event for the LTX M/S when it came out 4-5 years ago. I asked them what they would recommend and they said K02 as it has the winter peaks rating.

Name:  2023-09-19_8-18-53.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  36.9 KB

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I remember talking to the michelin guys at a tire event for the LTX M/S when it came out 4-5 years ago. I asked them what they would recommend and they said K02 as it has the winter peaks rating.
    Severe snow rating doesn't help much in Calgary weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post

Name:  2023-09-19_8-18-53.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  36.9 KB
    So do the Duratracks. I’ve burnt through 3 sets of KO2s on my work truck and will never use them again. The wear patterns on them are horrible, leading to extreme road noise. Trying Duratracks this winter and they are also studable unlike the KO2s.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast