Quantcast
Thin Blue Line - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thin Blue Line

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw a bunch of canadian flags at the trucker movements. I guess we should change the flag now as it has been co-opted by degenerates

- - - Updated - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_blue_line
    Well, the argument could be made that Canadians should be upset that the symbolism of the flag has been co-opted by anti-vaxxers/maskers and supporters of the freedom rallies, trucker convoys and border blockades.

The question is whether the thin blue line symbol has been co-opted by the same ideology or has it always had its roots in that ideology? Or is it even just commercialized symbology? After all, I don't think a thin blue line was a thing 20 or so years ago, now there are websites selling stuffed animals and handcuff-shaped rings.

At the end of the day, I think the police's defiance of the order is a crossroads for policing in Canada. I can't remember who said it, but they said something along the lines 'officers can choose to believe in what they want, but they can't choose what orders to follow'. If you allow the police to publicly defy an order from the body that is tasked with their oversight, then how are they ever going to be held accountable for anything?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    Well, the argument could be made that Canadians should be upset that the symbolism of the flag has been co-opted by anti-vaxxers/maskers and supporters of the freedom rallies, trucker convoys and border blockades.

The question is whether the thin blue line symbol has been co-opted by the same ideology or has it always had its roots in that ideology? Or is it even just commercialized symbology? After all, I don't think a thin blue line was a thing 20 or so years ago, now there are websites selling stuffed animals and handcuff-shaped rings.
    Maybe a symbol could mean more than one thing at the same time.

Shocking I know.

At the end of the day, I think the police's defiance of the order is a crossroads for policing in Canada. I can't remember who said it, but they said something along the lines 'officers can choose to believe in what they want, but they can't choose what orders to follow'. If you allow the police to publicly defy an order from the body that is tasked with their oversight, then how are they ever going to be held accountable for anything?
    What on earf is happening? I don't follow media.

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    The question is whether the thin blue line symbol has been co-opted by the same ideology or has it always had its roots in that ideology?
    You can probably defer to Rage Against the Machine for this

Or is it even just commercialized symbology? After all, I don't think a thin blue line was a thing 20 or so years ago, now there are websites selling stuffed animals and handcuff-shaped rings.
    The commercialization was all after Charlottesville when the alt-right really got behind it. That's when it shifted from being pretty insular to the policing community to all the tacticool, mall ninja gear, blankets, flags and other kitsch that crowd loves to buy.

My Ride
    Silverado

“People are paying attention, too, I would say, and that’s causing issues inside the service and that relates to sort of people’s morale and the trust and confidence that they have in the commission,” said Neufeld. “That’s the issue, but let me be 100 per cent clear, we’re not monitoring.”

Neufeld said he personally has been aware of the thin blue line symbol for the past 30 years and that he has always had a positive perception of the image. However, he said he regularly engages with the community and he understands there are different ways it is viewed.

“I have certainly heard both sides of this as well. So I’m well aware. But, yes, for 30 years during my career, it’s been a very positive symbol that is honourable and it has deep meaning, for sure,” said Neufeld.
    https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ission-meeting

So on one hand, we have this symbol that for decades has been important to the CPS. On the other, we have a police commission full of SJW's that believe the symbol has been co-opted to the point that it no longer can represent our city.

Interesting enough to have a debate around.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 04-12-2022 at 10:57 AM.

The horror.

Navel gazing is now the main activity of politicians and bureaucrats alike.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I get this reference.
    Name:  5ec6ea2297a47314eac8af2e86b52ba9.gif
Views: 304
Size:  1.06 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wonder is a thin blue line sticker on my car will lower my chances of getting a ticket.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    On the other, we have a police commission full of SJW's that believe the symbol has been co-opted to the point that it no longer can represent our city.
    I’m still mad they cancelled the confederate flag.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

The Thin Blue Line has been around for ages, it was a police sitcom in the 90's starring Rowan Atkinson

Although I was always more of a Blackadder fan...

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Wonder is a thin blue line sticker on my car will lower my chances of getting a ticket.
    Sure can't hurt. Our car in California had the "11-99" foundation license plate bracket, and twice when I was pulled over for speeding by the CHP they let me go, and we ended up in conversations after they issued me warnings, about why I joined the foundation (friend of mine I worked with at a PMC and SigSauer, Brent Clearman, joined the CHP after leaving the USMC and private military contracting, and was killed on his 2nd month at work by a drunk driver hitting him while he was on a stop).

So ya, I believe having such a sticker in your back window corner, where L/E always looks walking up on you, sure won't hurt in terms of officer disposition.

The Calgary police commission is ridiculous. I hope the CPS/union doesn't give in, and threaten job action over this. As in issue no minor tickets, at all, for a few months, and see how the SJW tards on the commission with their insane hair like that.

https://livewirecalgary.com/2022/04/...investigation/
    Last edited by Gman.45; 04-12-2022 at 01:26 PM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Isn't this in the similar spirit as those "back the blue" bumper stickers and such from back in the day?

I don't believe for a second that this patch symbolizes racism or anything of the sort and while I struggle with the idea of employees openly defying orders from their employer I suspect LEOs in general are pretty sick & tired of constantly being shit on by the "I've never walked a mile in your shoes" general public.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Carra's update to why he stepped down doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would he step down and why would EPS take the file over if Carra was the victim of someone running a stop sign and almost hitting him and his dog?

The only way that it makes sense is if Carra flipped his shit, threatened the driver, then did the whole "do you know I am" thing with dispatch. CPS doesn't respond immediately to peds almost getting hit in a crosswalk, they tell you that they can't do anything becuase there is no evidence and don't do he said/she said complaints for traffic.

And Gondek pulled the whole "not enough details to comment", which apparently didn't apply when that nut who stabbed the dog get himself shot. Lack of details didn't keep her mouth shut then.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Welcome to politics.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Sure can't hurt. Our car in California had the "11-99" foundation license plate bracket, and twice when I was pulled over for speeding by the CHP they let me go, and we ended up in conversations after they issued me warnings, about why I joined the foundation (friend of mine I worked with at a PMC and SigSauer, Brent Clearman, joined the CHP after leaving the USMC and private military contracting, and was killed on his 2nd month at work by a drunk driver hitting him while he was on a stop).

So ya, I believe having such a sticker in your back window corner, where L/E always looks walking up on you, sure won't hurt in terms of officer disposition.
    Just realized I basically have no back or side window in a convertible.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Just realized I basically have no back or side window in a convertible.
    Better get a bumper sticker
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Is a thin blue line bumper sticker the same as donating to the annual policeman's ball?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    Is a thin blue line bumper sticker the same as donating to the annual policeman's ball?
    You used to be able to take a donation from a policeman's ball to get out of a ticket.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    policemen don't have balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

police people

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Separate thread maybe?

https://globalnews.ca/news/8754443/c...swe7hB69MrvJ0o

"I was able to tap their bumper with my foot as they sped by" Is that a low key admission to kicking their car?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast