Quantcast
Dishwasher discussion - cheap appliances - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher discussion - cheap appliances

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Dishwasher discussion - cheap appliances

Did we have a thread on this already? I didn't see it. Anyway, what do people like for low-end dishwashers? My current Bosch has the integrated handle and the whole front is cracking off, I'm probably too fucking strong or something like that. It's a little loud and somewhat slow, but I run it overnight and then neither issue matters. Cleans the dishes well. Still holding together, but think it's days are numbered.

Anyone have a preference in the "under $700" dishwasher world?

I'll probably go see what's in the scratch and dent section at coast or trail over a lunch hour soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

You actually use the dishwasher for washing dishes?? I've only ever used mine for storage (asian)

I wash my dishes by hand. Are you an Aspenite?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Wife or kids... although neither are cheap, but it's time they started pulling their weight around the house.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I usually go Miele for my appliances, but some students use Monogram as a low budget option.

#thinlyveiled

My Ride
    *The First*

NOT Samsung.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If you want something cheap but decent re-store has a few nice used appliances. Not sure about a dishwasher but they had a few fairly new / fancy washer / dryers last time I was there. Some of their stuff is new and unused anyways as its clearance items from businesses.

My Ride
    Trucks

I’ve had 2 low end Bosch dishwashers now. Both were very quiet but the factory has the electronics EOL perfected to 2-3 years. Will have to open my wallet a little further next time. I’m currently using a cheat mode to keep the current one working with broken timers and main power button.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    NOT Samsung.
    Nor LG.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Had a buddy say kitchen aid
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

According to CR Bosch is 5/5 reliability, KA is 4/5.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

kitchenaid hit or miss too, i just changed out the drain pump on the dishwasher, just two years old. fridge compressor shit the bed, then the evaporator coil went, been almost 5 months now without the fridge due to parts/service calls btw, its all whirlpool shit underneath, just get some ikea stuff

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    NOT Samsung.
    I second, third and fourth this. I will never buy another Samsung appliance in my life, and I would STRONGLY encourage nobody else to either.

Why? I'm glad you asked. ALL our appliances are Samsung bought new 4 years ago. Here's what we've encountered:
    Dryer: Steam nozzle broke off. $130+ part to replace a piece of plastic with a plastic tube. I just removed it, and now we don't use steam. Heater element also blew. Both occurred after less than 2 years use.
    Washer: So far, still working though very sensitive to mis-weighted loads. Doesn't do an amazing job cleaning, but at least it works.
    Dishwasher: Racks started rusting almost immediately. Has never cleaned well, and rotating water-throwy-propeller-thingees clog up with debris. Tray height adjustment lever is zip-tied in place. Soap dispenser opens when it wants to, so now I just throw the pods in the bottom of the machine.
    Fridge: Ice maker ices over since new. Was replaced once under warranty (which never actually fixes the issue) now they refuse to touch it. Ice build-up on fan in rear at times, causing temperatures to fluctuate. Well known issues that occurs on virtually ALL units - and absolutely on all french door models - even ones currently being sold.
    Stove: So far, so good, though I have heard of others having issues with the digital controls.
    OTC Microwave: Keypad never responded well, but is getting worse all the time. Sometimes we need to unplug and plug back in to get it to start working again. Sometimes the lights and fan turn themselves on and off. Occasionally starts "cooking" on it's own. Also known issues for my model and many others. Apparently likely to be a grounding issue. Many models also have issues with moisture ingress into the controls, which is why the fan should always be used. (Though, it doesn't suck up a lot, so who knows how much it helps)

Most of these failed just after the 1 year warranty is up, and despite known issues, they had no interest in helping. There is a Facebook group dedicated to the fridge issues alone, with about 100,000 members. Members there report issues with almost all Samsung appliances and not just the fridge.

DO NOT BUY.

EVER.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    I second, third and fourth this. I will never buy another Samsung appliance in my life, and I would STRONGLY encourage nobody else to either.

Why? I'm glad you asked. ALL our appliances are Samsung bought new 4 years ago. Here's what we've encountered:
    Dryer: Steam nozzle broke off. $130+ part to replace a piece of plastic with a plastic tube. I just removed it, and now we don't use steam. Heater element also blew. Both occurred after less than 2 years use.
    Washer: So far, still working though very sensitive to mis-weighted loads. Doesn't do an amazing job cleaning, but at least it works.
    Dishwasher: Racks started rusting almost immediately. Has never cleaned well, and rotating water-throwy-propeller-thingees clog up with debris. Tray height adjustment lever is zip-tied in place. Soap dispenser opens when it wants to, so now I just throw the pods in the bottom of the machine.
    Fridge: Ice maker ices over since new. Was replaced once under warranty (which never actually fixes the issue) now they refuse to touch it. Ice build-up on fan in rear at times, causing temperatures to fluctuate. Well known issues that occurs on virtually ALL units - and absolutely on all french door models - even ones currently being sold.
    Stove: So far, so good, though I have heard of others having issues with the digital controls.
    OTC Microwave: Keypad never responded well, but is getting worse all the time. Sometimes we need to unplug and plug back in to get it to start working again. Sometimes the lights and fan turn themselves on and off. Occasionally starts "cooking" on it's own. Also known issues for my model and many others. Apparently likely to be a grounding issue. Many models also have issues with moisture ingress into the controls, which is why the fan should always be used. (Though, it doesn't suck up a lot, so who knows how much it helps)

Most of these failed just after the 1 year warranty is up, and despite known issues, they had no interest in helping. There is a Facebook group dedicated to the fridge issues alone, with about 100,000 members. Members there report issues with almost all Samsung appliances and not just the fridge.

DO NOT BUY.

EVER.
    We have a Samsung fridge that has the ice issue...as they all do...We finally fixed it last year. Originally tried a silicone bead down the edges to prevent air from getting to the water and fridge/cooling mechanism which is apparently the cause of creating the ice build up, didn't do the trick.

Ended up trying the metallic thermal tape that you would use for dryer or other exhaust venting, ran it down the top and bottom edges of the ice box inside the fridge and we've been good ever since.

If you give it a go you'll have to run the defrost cycle multiple times to break up the ice build up in the ice area, clean it out best you can, and do the taping. Silly but it worked for us.

I also saw that Samsung released a fix for the issue which involves foam insulation but the replacement part is $2-300 if I recall correctly.

But yeah fuck Samsung appliances.

My Ride
    *The First*

The appliance families are highlighted in this picture. Note that it's not a case of Kenmore makes everything, it's a case of Kenmore switches who makes what for them very often.

Name:  Screenshot_20220313-101407_YouTube.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  98.8 KB

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    Ended up trying the metallic thermal tape that you would use for dryer or other exhaust venting, ran it down the top and bottom edges of the ice box inside the fridge and we've been good ever since.

If you give it a go you'll have to run the defrost cycle multiple times to break up the ice build up in the ice area, clean it out best you can, and do the taping. Silly but it worked for us.
    Good info to know! Thank you - I'll try it.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Meile makes an entry level dishwasher now around $16-1700 so that is what I plan on replacing my POS fridgidaire gallery metal tub one with
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Miele > Bosch.

Good timing. My dishwasher died. 20+ yrs old and the pump to run the sprayer shorted out or something. House started to smell like a Meth addict was in the kitchen.

Does ExtraSlow assist in finding, negotiating and delivering?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Do Miele or Bosch ever go under $700?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    ... House started to smell like a Meth addict was in the kitchen.
    Yes... That was def your wash disher...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast