Quantcast
Bike service??? - Am I getting bamboozled? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bike service??? - Am I getting bamboozled?

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Default Bike service??? - Am I getting bamboozled?

2002 honda cbr600 purchased end of last season. Drove great didn't notice any major issues. And I went over that bike with a fine tooth comb.

Sat in the garage all winter on a battery tender and on bike stands. Also noted the bike is looked at almost daily as it's right beside the couch we sit on in the garage.

Fast forward to a couple days ago I book an appointment in for service and an inspection at a dealership not to far me.

A day later I get a call saying that my fork seals are gone "and they left a pretty good puddle on the shop floor" along with got over my front brakes and has glazed them over. That plus rear brakes are at 20%.

Quote was $900 for fork seals and front / rear brakes. 5hrs shop time.

Called back to remove brakes as I can do that for a fraction of the cost at home. Quote was reduced to $450ish just for fork seals, 3hrs shop time.

Anything seem fishy? How does it go from not leaking (maybe sweating), to a full out puddle on their floor.

Am I missing something? Should I just yank that bike out of there?

Also odd is I've left a message on Wednesday for him to call me back to give him the go ahead. No reply. Called and left a message Thursday morning to call me back.? No reply. Friday was a holiday and now we're here....
    Last edited by B.Spilner; 04-16-2022 at 08:14 AM.
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by B.Spilner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2002 honda cbr600 purchased end of last season. Drove great didn't notice any major issues. And I went over that bike with a fine tooth comb.

Sat in the garage all winter on a battery tender and on bike stands. Also noted the bike is looked at almost daily as it's right beside the couch we sit on in the garage.

Fast forward to a couple days ago I book an appointment in for service and an inspection at a dealership not to far me.

A day later I get a call saying that my fork seals are gone "and they left a pretty good puddle on the shop floor" along with got over my front brakes and has glazed them over. That plus rear brakes are at 20%.

Quote was $900 for fork seals and front / rear brakes. 5hrs shop time.

Called back to remove brakes as I can do that for a fraction of the cost at home. Quote was reduced to $450ish just for fork seals, 3hrs shop time.

Anything seem fishy? How does it go from not leaking (maybe sweating), to a full out puddle on their floor.

Am I missing something? Should I just yank that bike out of there?

Also odd is I've left a message on Wednesday for him to call me back to give him the go ahead. No reply. Called and left a message Thursday morning to call me back.? No reply. Friday was a holiday and now we're here....
    Is it possible that it was sweating all winter and when you moved it, it started leaking more? Could definitely happen.

My Ride
    4x4

How did it end up at the dealer?

Easiest way to kill fork seals is being a bit too agressive with the front tie down. (Used to get nagged about it in the tow truck)

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Drove it 5km from my place. ^^^
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    Is it possible that it was sweating all winter and when you moved it, it started leaking more? Could definitely happen.
    This is sort of what I'm wondering, I want to give them the benefit of doubt, just seems really odd from nothing to "a good puddle on my floor" in less then an 8 min drive.
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's sort of impossible to second guess this situation. It's the implied risk you always have handing your vehicle to a shop.

If you pull your bike out today, is there a more reputable shop you'd take it to?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by B.Spilner View Post
    This is sort of what I'm wondering, I want to give them the benefit of doubt, just seems really odd from nothing to "a good puddle on my floor" in less then an 8 min drive.
    I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility. If they’re original, we’re talking about a 20 year old seal that’s sat for a while. Might not take much to make it fail. That, plus the fact it’s only $450, I’d just let them do it and move on with life. It’s not like it’s a massive job.

Them not communicating would drive me nuts, but my recent experience with two different reputable shops, is that they all suck at communicating these days, and expectations should be pretty low in that regard.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    It's sort of impossible to second guess this situation. It's the implied risk you always have handing your vehicle to a shop.

If you pull your bike out today, is there a more reputable shop you'd take it to?
    I'm gonna call another actual honda dealer this morning and just get a quote on the seals.

And yes its def an odd situation. They have really good reviews, but this issue plus the no call backs has me wondering a bit....

- - - Updated - - -

The communication bugs me also as a fellow business owner you wouldn't have that issue with me...
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I have no bike knowledge, but a shit ton of hydraulic experience, and it's definitely not unusual for an old seal to dry out and break after sitting for awhile. I assume the trip to the shop was the first ride after sitting all winter?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Lotus and a Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I have no bike knowledge, but a shit ton of hydraulic experience, and it's definitely not unusual for an old seal to dry out and break after sitting for awhile. I assume the trip to the shop was the first ride after sitting all winter?
    Yup! Has been sitting on stands since October ish. Pulled it out and drove for 5 min in the freezing cold to the dealership. No leaks at my place, puddles at theirs.

Just by the comments so far I think I will move ahead with them fixing the seals. I'll do the breaks. And I'll give him a bit of a nudge on the extended responses lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Called and got a quote at riverside honda and it's bang on the same as their quote.
    Cereal Killer.
    @iambrianspilner