Quantcast
Twitter Musk and the hilarious meltdown - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Twitter Musk and the hilarious meltdown

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We wish. Anyone who approves and applies MS patches less than 3 weeks from release deserves what they get.
    If you're not using Azure AD your entire IT team should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Realistically, if everything is status quo, it should continue operating. It's the unexpected use cases that causes problems, and requires the people that know those specific subsuystems to diagnose and resolve issues. Let's say some big news item happens on the weekend, usage goes up during scheduled cleanup/backup operations. That would require the right people to back out of said operations cleanly, roll back, etc. It's not just the dev ops crew that's needed. Dev ops might know the right processes for fixing a problem, but they still rely on talking to the right engineers to actually understand the problem in more complicated cases. With twitter feeding their data to so many internal systems, something breaking there might not be noticeable to the end user, except maybe outdated timelines. But they have SLAs with customers for their data, and that could cost them revenue in penalties if things aren't met.

This is assuming he's not rolling out any changes at all, but he's trying to accelerate changes. It's basically a recipe for disaster with minimal understanding and insufficient testing.
    Holy bullshit bingo. A mishmash of terms used all wrong.

I think you're underestimating the complexity of a massive data setup like twitter. From a user's perspective, it's not complicated, but the distributed setup to handle the volume of transactions it goes through daily is nothing easy. There's hints of problems already this week, when Elon pushed the teams to kill off unnecessary micro services which lead to 2FA failing and breaking anyone logging in that needed 2FA. That knowledge lost is a direct cause of issues like that. I doubt there's one single engineer that understands the entire ins and outs of the system at twitter. Knowledge like this is typically distributed within different teams. So yea, the brain drain is a massive problem.

Anyways, I don't work at twitter, I don't know anyone that works at twitter, but this is typically how things are setup at other saas companies.
    Yeah if the humans aren't there the microservices turn themselves off. That's how it works. It's like The Matrix.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Holy bullshit bingo. A mishmash of terms used all wrong.

Yeah if the humans aren't there the microservices turn themselves off. That's how it works. It's like The Matrix.
    Feel free to correct me.

Elon directed the team to shut off unnecessary services to see what breaks. They didn’t turn off by themselves.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Yup, Elon wants to see how modular it all is.

If its built on dynamically linked libraries, they are kinda screwed. Once you take out one library, several pieces of code in completely unexpected ways may fail.

Code tends to gravitate towards that as it is "optimized" for speed and specific hardware. What you lose is the ability to change it afterwards. It is hell to reverse engineer, which can be a good thing too if you want to make sure the competition does not know how it works.
    Trumps' signature is fraud by design.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    The stupid losing money for not performing due diligence and gambling on tweets is more of a capitalistic concept
    It's automated trading algos, not people. I suppose you could blame stupid people for programming a trading bot to trade based on Twitter rumors without any due diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    What if... and this is a big if, here... only about 16% of the story we are being fed is true????
    Several media companies reporting about a media company that fired some Karens. What possible opportunity is there for the facts to be obscured?!

By the way - how can we even focus on this when "we are in the CoVid trifecta of respiratory Code Brown at the apex of Wave-26!"
    And how much of what is being told or heard, even has any real context around it? Seems to me like spitballing a number like 80 hours a week, is a good way to flush out the entitled bitches that are working there. I'm sure there is some diamonds in the rough among Twitter staff, who believe in Elon's vision, and are more than willing to put in some hard work to stay around, knowing full well that nobody will actually be held to some 80hr/week standard.

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

Someone should make a new photoshop like busters hilariously wrong depiction, but make an accurate one.

Old fatso pale musk, sitting on and crushing a blue bird.
    MAGA = My Ass Got Arrested.

Beware the passive aggressive Mean Girls. Vengie, Killramos, Penismightier, buster, jrscoolude, etc who bully others into their circle jerk opinion, serially negging you, while claiming they ignore you and don't obsess over you.

PSA. High school is not a popularity contest little girls

Name:  Screenshot_20221120-202013_Chrome.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  136.2 KB

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

Humanity's savior, oligarch of human rights.

MAGA = My Ass Got Arrested.

Beware the passive aggressive Mean Girls. Vengie, Killramos, Penismightier, buster, jrscoolude, etc who bully others into their circle jerk opinion, serially negging you, while claiming they ignore you and don't obsess over you.

PSA. High school is not a popularity contest little girls

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you're not using Azure AD your entire IT team should be fired.
    Unless you are running industry gears that worried about cyberattacks that shut down society.

Back on topic. Sounds like the ultimatum is to make sure everyone leaves before Musk unban Trump and Ye.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Unless you are running industry gears that worried about cyberattacks that shut down society.
    lol okay. I repeat: If you're not using Azure AD your entire IT team should be fired.

I've got clients that make multi-millions in revenue still running WS2016, good jorb assholes.
    Last edited by suntan; 11-21-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Feel free to correct me.

Elon directed the team to shut off unnecessary services to see what breaks. They didn’t turn off by themselves.
    Twitter's infrastructure is well known because they like to promote it. You can find the blog about it.

DevOps is short for developer operations. It is the process of deployment to different environments through the use of code. This is used to rollout updates, etc. Not for scaling. Any operation like Twitter would have to have provisioned compute power up the ying yang, and they can't deprovision just because it's quiet. They also run their own datacenters, they don't rely on third party cloud providers.

Gee if Elon said that and somebody at Twitter actually shut it down, then perhaps they do deserve to be fired.

I mean you don't actually think Elon pointed at "OAuth2" and said "SHUT IT DOWN!"

My Ride
    06 S2000

Twitter's infrastructure is well known because they like to promote it. You can find the blog about it.

DevOps is short for developer operations. It is the process of deployment to different environments through the use of code. This is used to rollout updates, etc. Not for scaling. Any operation like Twitter would have to have provisioned compute power up the ying yang, and they can't deprovision just because it's quiet. They also run their own datacenters, they don't rely on third party cloud providers.

Gee if Elon said that and somebody at Twitter actually shut it down, then perhaps they do deserve to be fired.

I mean you don't actually think Elon pointed at "OAuth2" and said "SHUT IT DOWN!"
    That's GitOps, not DevOps.
    DevOps is where the development team takes on the responsibility and tooling of operating the systems. GitOps is where you manage environments through code.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    ute

And I thought my job was boring.

You got me beat.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    That's GitOps, not DevOps.
    DevOps is where the development team takes on the responsibility and tooling of operating the systems. GitOps is where you manage environments through code.
    Jesus please tell me you're kidding.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I've got clients that make multi-millions in revenue still running WS2016, good jorb assholes.
    Ok, that's fucked unless it's mandated by SCADA type software.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I heard they could just move it all to the cloud and then move on with life. Pretty sure I heard that in a sales pitch for some kind of business software, and how different could it be, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Ok, that's fucked unless it's mandated by SCADA type software.
    No, it's just them being lazy as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I heard they could just move it all to the cloud and then move on with life. Pretty sure I heard that in a sales pitch for some kind of business software, and how different could it be, really?
    Some things should absolutely not be handled in house:

AD
    O365
    Exchange. Fuck if someone is still running an Exchange server in-house they should be shot.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We need more people shot. I think you and I could come up with a pretty reasonable list.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, I read theirs and Netflix's regularly.

We're just arguing semantics here. DevOps responsibility is managing deployments, automation/shift to CI/CD, as well as develop monitoring solutions and monitoring them. They're the first up at seeing production issues and firefighting. That got split into SRE over the last 10 or so years were SRE's focus on site reliability (hence their name) to reduce firefighting. But depending on companies, the firefighting could belong on either side (for us it's SRE's responsibilities). Nobody knows what SRE is outside of saas companies, but we're on the same page.

Well I don't know how accurate the portrayal was, but developers were posting what was going down. Teams and slack messages were getting leaked everywhere. Staff there can't stand the change. It was reported as Elon sitting down with them, choosing 20% of services (a number he pulled out of his ass), shut down the rest to see what breaks. I don't think what's happening at twitter right now can be compared to what happens at a normal saas company.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Do any of you use Twitter? Has twitter crashed yet?
    I know nothing about software or software companies, but I assume it'll need to get more fucked before it starts getting unfucked on an engineering level, and after that it'll get unfucked on a financial level. I think I said previously that it would be 18-24 months to get back to running efficeintly and profitably. Might revise that downward to 12-18 months.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast