Quantcast
Another firearm debate (split) - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Another firearm debate (split)

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except for many of us a call to the police is a minimum of 45 minutes and often more like an hour or more... And, for the record, someone breaking into your home while you are present IS home invasion.

Pew Pew
    So? Still have to earn it.

Plus, this is what you chose. Your choice doesn't entitle you to shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    So? Still have to earn it.

Plus, this is what you chose. Your choice doesn't entitle you to shit.
    Flip this script.

The intruder chose to break into someone's home uninvited - that choice doesn't entitle them to come away unscathed, or alive depending on the situation.

Life is all about choices and accepting accountability for that choice. <--- The second part of that statement is what is missing in today's society.
    Last edited by vengie; 05-09-2022 at 11:35 PM.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

the other aspect here is the element of surprise and unknown intentions of the assailant.

you are minding your own business at home and someone chooses to enter by force. They may be there to steal doritos. They may be there to rape and kill you and your family. The innocent party has no way of knowing the intent of the intruder. So at least having a means to defend yourself can possibly prevent great harm from being inflicted on your family. As long as you are reasonable in deploying that force and using it responsibly. Obviously don't try to rambo room to room yelling clear each time you sweep a room. But announcing your presence to the intruder, instructing them to leave, and then staying put between them and your family is totally reasonable. If they advance on you, that is a threat that can be dealt with. They probably grabbed one of the knives from your kitchen on the way up the stairs too.

Age old cliche, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. and if someone is trying to do harm to my family you can be damn sure i'm going to do everything I can to protect them whether that be calling 911, using a tool, or my bare hands. whatever is available.

The concept of layered security here is key too. Exterior lighting, no access gates, locked doors, film on breakable main and basement windows, monitored alarm, then if they are through all of these all you have left is police response and your own two hands. and know that police response is designed to keep society safe, not individual citizens or families. so you need to think about that when considering what "rights" people have.
    Last edited by littledan; 05-09-2022 at 03:58 PM.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Flip this script.

The intruder chose to break into someone's home uninvited - that choice doesn't entitle you to come away unscathed, or alive depending on the situation.

Life is all about choices and accepting accountability for that choice. <--- The second part of that statement is what is missing in today's society.
    Except going back to what i said earlier about "punishment fitting the crime", I believe the legal interpretation is there is no reasonable expectation of risk to life when committing theft or break in. (Any lawyers here can correct me if i'm wrong). This is where the trigger happy home owner can get in way more trouble than the thief.

If I'm not mistaken this is the same reason you can't legally booby-trap your house.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    Except going back to what i said earlier about "punishment fitting the crime", I believe the legal interpretation is there is no reasonable expectation of risk to life when committing theft or break in. (Any lawyers here can correct me if i'm wrong). This is where the trigger happy home owner can get in way more trouble than the thief.

If I'm not mistaken this is the same reason you can't legally booby-trap your house.
    I think that is one area where the court has gone too far on the side of the rights of the criminal. they might look at the criminal history of someone and say "oh look, they just like to steal stuff they have never committed violence". Well great, thank you for that wonderful hindsight. How the fuck am I supposed to know that at 2am when someone is smashing through my window. I suppose if this was their history, they would likely flee when you announce your presence, but not necessarily. And how do you know if they recently changed their street prescription from good meth to bad meth. Next thing you know they are climbing the streetlight pole and slinging shit at first responders. lol.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    ... As long as you are reasonable in deploying that force and using it responsibly.
    Obviously don't try to rambo room to room yelling clear each time you sweep a room. But announcing your presence to the intruder, instructing them to leave, and then staying put between them and your family is totally reasonable.

The concept of layered security here is key too. Exterior lighting, no access gates, locked doors, film on breakable main and basement windows, monitored alarm, then if they are through all of these all you have left is police response and your own two hands. and know that police response is designed to keep society safe, not individual citizens or families. so you need to think about that when considering what "rights" people have.
    I do like the idea of an intercom from the the bedroom for the house. You can let them know you are armed and police on their way, that may be a deterrent in itself.

I don't like the measured response requirement that the law states. If I'm hiding in my bedroom and they are trying to get through that door, it's any and all means necessary. I don't care if they are only armed with a bag of doritos and looking for some dip. It's a locked door and they've had their warning.

All these security systems and devices are all to deter and delay. Time to call for help and hide yourself and family away. Weapons should always be final line of defense. All those slogans/stickers you see south of the border:
    "This house doesn't call 911" etc. BS;

-"Dad! Grandma is having a heart attack!"
    -"Get the AR-15 Jimmy"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most would feel better having options, and some possibility of taking control of the situation, which makes total sense, and is natural.

The question I have, and cannot answer, is what risks or dangers does having a gun in the home as a defensive weapon introduce, and how do I weigh that against any benefits.

Personally, I think inside the city of Calgary, risks to my family from this type of crime are extremely low. I wish I could find better statistics to strengthen or refute that assumption.

While we are using anecdotes however, people I know in places that have high rates of gun ownership, like Texas, don't seem any less worried about home invasion crime. I don't know that guns are an effective deterrent to that kind of crime overall.

I consider myself pretty detached from both sides of this argument. I'm have no strong feelings for either side.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The idea that someone needs further warning about consequence after they have crossed the locked threshold into my home is asinine.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I think the solution, as always, is don't be poor. Whats the burglary rate in Aspen? Anybody got the data?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Front attached garages are crime magnets.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Not sure about Calgary but I'm sure it is similar in frequency and crime types. It is really eye opening to be honest.

https://communitysafetydataportal.edmontonpolice.ca/

Click on map in upper right and clench b-hole.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    "punishment fitting the crime"
    Right back to the beginning! the whole reason this is an issue is the lack of accountability faced by anyone breaking into a house.

This is why there are serial repeat offenders.
    They get a slap on the wrist and away they go.

Our system protects criminals and punishes the law abiding citizen.

Addressing the other part of your statement, intent can change in the moment.
    Ex. Crackhead see's a mega jumbo bag of Dorito's, now they are crazed and will stop at nothing to make off with said Dorito bag, including harming anyone in their way.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Right back to the beginning! the whole reason this is an issue is the lack of accountability faced by anyone breaking into a house.

This is why there are serial repeat offenders.
    They get a slap on the wrist and away they go.

Our system protects criminals and punishes the law abiding citizen.

Addressing the other part of your statement, intent can change in the moment.
    Ex. Crackhead see's a mega jumbo bag of Dorito's, now they are crazed and will stop at nothing to make off with said Dorito bag, including harming anyone in their way.
    so stay out of their way and get insurance for your doritos, getting in their way, with a weapon, will only make you a target, when you never were before.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Mr thaco, if it pleases the court, can you please explain why after the defendant entered your home, but before he ate your face, why didn't you defend yourself?

"I thought he just wanted doritos?"
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Mr thaco, if it pleases the court, can you please explain why after the defendant entered your home, but before he ate your face, why didn't you defend yourself?

"I thought he just wanted doritos?"
    i have self defense doritos in my night table
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    so stay out of their way and get insurance for your doritos, getting in their way, with a weapon, will only make you a target, when you never were before.
    Again.
    Stay the f*CK out of my house and this situation doesn't happen in the first place.

Door was/is locked for a reason.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

i have self defense doritos in my night table
    Underrated comment. The Doritos in my night table never last because my wife finds cool ranch sexy.

In all seriousness... What fucked up way of thinking says I need to pay a company money constantly to protect the value of my things in my own house, less a deductible if ever needed of course, as a means to guarantee no criminal is going to get hurt or killed robbing me?

Jesus that is one of the biggest pussy things I have ever heard.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    In all seriousness... What fucked up way of thinking says I need to pay a company money constantly to protect the value of my things in my own house, less a deductible if ever needed of course, as a means to guarantee no criminal is going to get hurt or killed robbing me?

Jesus that is one of the biggest pussy things I have ever heard.
    He extensively demonstrated his lack of ability to use common sense through the Covis threads. You're trying to debate with a low level Toma.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Thaco what size tv you got? I'm here slumming it with a 42", I could use a free upgrade

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast