Quantcast
Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread. - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 217

Thread: Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread.

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    a van down by the river
    My Ride
    Bmw and ford
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Disagree. I run a Bolt EUV as my commuter, and I've calculated and re-calculated the numbers.

    It makes sense, for niche purposes. It's not for a daily only vehicle - THAT is for sure.

    I drive 35k a year, by year 7-8 the vehicle will be paid for in fuel and oil savings. And it would be worth a few grand at that point.

    *all calculations based on 9L/100km and $1.50 average fuel for the next 7-8 years.
    I am not talking about cost of fuel vs elec I am talking carbon and you have to factor the carbon that was used to produce the car just not the carbon produced by the end user.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with a lot of this but I'm willing to be proven wrong. Finding out will take decades
    Word.. but remember emergencies need action today .

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Poe-tay-toes
    Posts
    12,652
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Word.. but remember emergencies need action today ….
    disagree there too.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    3,124
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not talking about cost of fuel vs elec … I am talking carbon and you have to factor the carbon that was used to produce the car just not the carbon produced by the end user.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Word.. but remember emergencies need action today ….
    Shrug. Maybe, calculating energy intensive manufacturing processes and lifetime vehicle carbons is complex.

    Like in Alberta, we’re some of the cleanest energy in the world. Energy in the transmission lines that is.

    When the wind is blowing and the sun is shining, we can do over a third of our power in renewables. And then the rest is basically clean combined cycle gas plants. Very little coal left online now.

    Don’t get me wrong I support all forms of Canadian energy and want continued growth.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Big Char.
    My Ride
    *The First*
    Posts
    3,848
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    I'm just so grateful that the trillion tonnes of carbon that got suddenly emitted to our atmosphere from the forest fires was all captured and sequestered away so that it doesn't need to be counted as more than human history over the past 200 years.
    Sorry, wrong thread. Things that being be joy.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    a van down by the river
    My Ride
    Bmw and ford
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    disagree there too.
    what that there is an emergency? or we need action?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    a van down by the river
    My Ride
    Bmw and ford
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shrug. Maybe, calculating energy intensive manufacturing processes and lifetime vehicle carbons is complex.

    Like in Alberta, we’re some of the cleanest energy in the world. Energy in the transmission lines that is.

    When the wind is blowing and the sun is shining, we can do over a third of our power in renewables. And then the rest is basically clean combined cycle gas plants. Very little coal left online now.

    Don’t get me wrong I support all forms of Canadian energy and want continued growth.

    the change to EVs is not about killer 0-60 times or cheap fuel... is about carbon reduction ... when you add back the manufaciuring process not a lot saved with evs.

    a big part of of the cost of gas is tax, that goes towards roads etc.... the government will eventually tax the shit out of power to replace the gas tax and your simple cost savings will be gone. enjoy it while it lasts.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '18 Murano
    Posts
    655
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    When is Sodium going to replace Lithium?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    NC1
    Posts
    10,718
    Rep Power
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the change to EVs is not about killer 0-60 times or cheap fuel... is about carbon reduction ... when you add back the manufaciuring process not a lot saved with evs.

    a big part of of the cost of gas is tax, that goes towards roads etc.... the government will eventually tax the shit out of power to replace the gas tax and your simple cost savings will be gone. enjoy it while it lasts.
    gonna miss hearing those sweet exhaust notes
    heloc that shit

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Poe-tay-toes
    Posts
    12,652
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what that there is an emergency? or we need action?
    That it's an emergency, and the second unsaid part, that small local actions would make any meaningful difference if it were.

    Know what would reduce global carbon emissions and maybe even climate change? Canada getting behind LNG about 15 years ago and massively increasing our natural gas production.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    8,286
    Rep Power
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    gonna miss hearing those sweet exhaust notes
    Going to have to go back to putting baseball cards clipped to spokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Medicine Hat, AB
    Posts
    1,991
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When the wind is blowing and the sun is shining, we can do over a third of our power in renewables. And then the rest is basically clean combined cycle gas plants. Very little coal left online now.
    And since the coal plants have been shut down, the cost of electricity has increased over 600% since they started shutting them down.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Poe-tay-toes
    Posts
    12,652
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Shutting down the coal plants before their economic life was over was insanity. Although the price of electricity would have gone up either way. Probably not quite as much, maybe just double or triple, not 6x.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CEF4
    My Ride
    Ralli Machine
    Posts
    2,096
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Back on track, I saw someone sucking that sweet sweet campground juice to recharge their Ioniq. How long until Campgrounds start to run into issues because of this? I want my AC running all the time, even when Im not there!

    Name:  hgdfh.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  287.7 KB

    Name:  75w.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  365.3 KB
    Cos...

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Poe-tay-toes
    Posts
    12,652
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Campground power is notoriously unreliable, but I can see charging my Car there. Book a 30 amp site, drive out Friday (under 200KM) , charge 6PM to 10 AM sat, drive 30 km Saturday, charge 4PM sat to 11AM Sunday, Drive home (200km).

    Don't know how much range you add per hour on a standard 120V 30 Amp outlet, but surely those 35 hours of charging are more than sufficient.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ioniq 5
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Campground power is notoriously unreliable, but I can see charging my Car there. Book a 30 amp site, drive out Friday (under 200KM) , charge 6PM to 10 AM sat, drive 30 km Saturday, charge 4PM sat to 11AM Sunday, Drive home (200km).

    Don't know how much range you add per hour on a standard 120V 30 Amp outlet, but surely those 35 hours of charging are more than sufficient.
    Regular 120v / 15 A I get about 6km per hour of range. So 120km a day. I don’t know if there’s any 120v 30A options, most of the higher power ones require 240v instead. So you’d likely need a 50A site for that. Those would fully charge over night as they typically do 40-100km/hr of charge.

    For camping it shouldn’t cause issues to other people as some big trailers have dual AC running that probably consume as much power as an EV charger anyways. Though like most things if you schedule it to charger off peak hours / overnight then that would be best
    Nolan

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Poe-tay-toes
    Posts
    12,652
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Probable just end up charging at 15A 120V in a normal 30A camping site then. Oh well, 35 hours at 6 km/h is enough to get you home anyway.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ioniq 5
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Mini update: Got the Ioniq in for tint and PPF last week. And the V2L adapter showed up today. No pics but it simply plugs into the car charging port and then enable V2L on the dash and have a 120V/15A outlet anywhere. Going to give it a shot camping for Canada day as there's no power at the site. Planning to charger in pincher creek before going to Beaver mines lake for camping.

    Also road trip #2 is this weekend to Vancouver and back, will update #'s afterwards and hopefully be smooth sailing.
    Nolan

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Poe-tay-toes
    Posts
    12,652
    Rep Power
    100

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ioniq 5
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Moar pics pls.
    Will do once I find some better scenery than a parkade.

    On other EV news. I'm assuming this will be fud based on the numbers but if they can pull it off that'll be a fun little truck.

    https://electrek.co/2023/06/13/telo-...-as-a-hummers/

    TELO is a tiny electric truck the size of a Mini with a bed as big as a Hummer’s

    TELO plans to offer a 106kWh battery on its first model, with a dual motor configuration capable of 500 horsepower. This gives the truck a 0-60 time of about four seconds, with a top speed of 125mph.
    The company estimates that the truck will have a range of 350 miles, and is targeting a 20-minute charge time from 20-80% capacity (this works out to about a 190kW average charge rate from 20-80%, though it should be able to take about a 320kW peak).
    All of this comes in an incredibly small package. It’s only 152 inches long – the same length as the electric Mini Cooper SE. That’s five feet shorter than the Toyota Tacoma, the best-selling “compact” pickup truck in America, and six and a half feet shorter than the F-150 Lightning. And at 4,400 lb., it weighs less than a Tesla Model Y.
    Nolan

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    4,271
    Rep Power
    91

    Default

    lol, who needs a crumple zone in the front of the car, amirite? I rarely use my legs anyways.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Oil Price MEGA THREAD - Yeah baby it's MEGA

    By ExtraSlow in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 242
    Latest Threads: 09-08-2023, 08:37 AM
  2. LF: Mega Man ZX & Mega Man ZX Advent for DS

    By Despair* in forum Video Games / Consoles
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM
  3. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD: Info, Chat, Discussion

    By l8braker in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 6475
    Latest Threads: 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
  4. Fs: **mega Misc. Thread!!!**

    By cycosis in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 08-21-2006, 09:47 PM
  5. The 2006 World Cup Soccer Mega Thread

    By RickDaTuner in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 492
    Latest Threads: 07-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •