Quantcast
Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread. - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s total bullshit for insurance involvement in a clear cut warranty issue. Somebody needs to take Hyundai to court, either they repair it, or provide a new vehicle if that saves them money. Hyundai is just a Samsung appliance with wheels.

Insurance co. will tell you to fuck off if you don’t have full insurance on the vehicle.
    LOL you think insurance would pay if they dont have to? I dont think you understand the difference between warranty and insurance?!

My Ride
    Trucks

My bad, didn't realize it was from actual road damage.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yeah both battery replacements were due to physical damage. So Hyundai needs to get their shit together so it's not 60k but also idiots need to learn to drive and not hit things.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

First proper cold snap with the EV and so far even happier with it. Actually prefer it over a gas car in this weather. Heat still comes on almost instantly and the car is warm and toasty faster than waiting for an engine to heat up. Also since my garage is only held just above freezing I can remote start it in the garage since there's no exhaust fumes. RWD + Smooth torque curve has made for some fun sliding around when I want to but also drives quite calm when being an adult.

Downside really is only the lower range. I'll get closer to 300km out of a charge in the city in the cold vs 550+ in the summer. To me it makes no difference as I'm never going to drive near that much in a day around town. I think highway won't be much worse, might even be a bit better as once the car warms up the power consumption drops off a lot so doing lots of short terms in this weather takes lots of heating.

In terms of cost it's still hilariously cheap. In this weather I get around 28kwh/100kms which at home charging is $4 per 100km or around 3L/100km at current prices.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah the pre-heat should work better too. Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    First proper cold snap with the EV and so far even happier with it. Actually prefer it over a gas car in this weather. Heat still comes on almost instantly and the car is warm and toasty faster than waiting for an engine to heat up. Also since my garage is only held just above freezing I can remote start it in the garage since there's no exhaust fumes. RWD + Smooth torque curve has made for some fun sliding around when I want to but also drives quite calm when being an adult.

Downside really is only the lower range. I'll get closer to 300km out of a charge in the city in the cold vs 550+ in the summer. To me it makes no difference as I'm never going to drive near that much in a day around town. I think highway won't be much worse, might even be a bit better as once the car warms up the power consumption drops off a lot so doing lots of short terms in this weather takes lots of heating.

In terms of cost it's still hilariously cheap. In this weather I get around 28kwh/100kms which at home charging is $4 per 100km or around 3L/100km at current prices.
    Have you try to see how much batt loss parking in -30c outside without plugging in for 8hrs?

The 300km would be on a 100% charge, correct? Everyone says that you should avoid charging above 80% and try not to go below 20%. So would that then be 180km range? That would be plenty for day to day driving, but you have a decent sized battery. The EVs with smaller batteries would get about 100-125km of range in this scenario. Still enough for going to work and getting groceries if needed, but I doubt many people are doing a lot of running around in this weather. The real life updates are useful for sure, since we're considering making the switch to EV in a few years.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Have you try to see how much batt loss parking in -30c outside without plugging in for 8hrs?

Interested to hear this too.

new tesla model 3 is on their site now for Canada, anyone going for it? they maintain the same price, but supposed to be better quality hopefully.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Maybe I'll just leave it out tonight for curious sake as I'd also like to know for my own peace of mind. I suspect though it will barely lose any charge. Like 1-2% loss is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamim View Post
    The 300km would be on a 100% charge, correct? Everyone says that you should avoid charging above 80% and try not to go below 20%. So would that then be 180km range? That would be plenty for day to day driving, but you have a decent sized battery. The EVs with smaller batteries would get about 100-125km of range in this scenario. Still enough for going to work and getting groceries if needed, but I doubt many people are doing a lot of running around in this weather. The real life updates are useful for sure, since we're considering making the switch to EV in a few years.
    There's a lot of poor info about charging tbh. There's nothing wrong with using the full range of battery though it's good habit to charge to 80% day to day for long term health. If I'm going to road trip or whatever I'll always full charge it and it's also not going to hurt it rolling into a charger at 5%. The only downside is that it will charge slower from 5% to around ~10% then ramp up and go full speed from there. And like you said most people aren't going to be running around a ton in this weather so it's not really a concern. Mileage at -15C or whatever is a fair bit better and I suspect I'll get better than the 300km if I drove to Banff or something as most of my trips are in the <20 min range so lots of initial warming up.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Xamim View Post
    Chemistry matters.

NMC like ones in cell phones, you want to operate between 20-80% for longevity. And avoid fast charging as much as possible.

LFP doesn't have that limit but it is also less dense so you can't get as long range for the same physical space.

Then there's the new semi SSB that NIO and CATL got and it's 50% increase in density but nobody know long term stats.

And final boss the SSB that Toyota keep saying it's coming for like the last 10 years. It's out as portable battery bank right now but it cost 30% more than LFP but at 1/2 the weight for the same wh.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-11-2024 at 07:27 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Interested to hear this too.

new tesla model 3 is on their site now for Canada, anyone going for it? they maintain the same price, but supposed to be better quality hopefully.
    For my Bolt euv today it sat outside from 0730 to 1600. It was plugged in with 12amp setting.

In the summer it can recoup about 1.3kw/hr, and at 12amp it’s roughly 1.44 minus losses.

Today I gained roughly 5kW. Based on that Marth, I used just over 5kwh of battery capacity to keep the battery alive.

Or in the bolt’s case, around 8% of the capacity.

I’d like to do a proper test one day, might not get many chances though.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    For my Bolt euv today it sat outside from 0730 to 1600. It was plugged in with 12amp setting.

In the summer it can recoup about 1.3kw/hr, and at 12amp it’s roughly 1.44 minus losses.

Today I gained roughly 5kW. Based on that Marth, I used just over 5kwh of battery capacity to keep the battery alive.

Or in the bolt’s case, around 8% of the capacity.

I’d like to do a proper test one day, might not get many chances though.
    Nailed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

That’s not terrible

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Well I parked out front for shits n giggles and see how it does in the morning. Currently at 65%.

I do have a hard time taking info from the Bolt platform solely because it doesn't exactly have a great battery setup to begin with. It uses older NCA battery chemistry plus even for charging they max out at 55kW. It's a good thing they're being discontinued but the next generation bolt does look like it'll be great using GM's Ultium platform.

My Ride
    M3P

Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Car was parked in garage and preheated.

Drove 40 KMs lost 20% in range. Don't let any sheep tell you exaggerated numbers. If you want to be warm, not have to wear a zipped coat, toque, gloves and not have your windows fog up, you're going to lose 50%+ in range in -30 weather.

This is my third winter with my Tesla, it warms up fast and handles well in the winter but the range is a fucking joke lol

My Ride
    Trucks

My Superduty Ford gasser parked outside has also lost 30% range or more in this weather. Cold affects everything.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Well I parked out front for shits n giggles and see how it does in the morning. Currently at 65%.

I do have a hard time taking info from the Bolt platform solely because it doesn't exactly have a great battery setup to begin with. It uses older NCA battery chemistry plus even for charging they max out at 55kW. It's a good thing they're being discontinued but the next generation bolt does look like it'll be great using GM's Ultium platform.
    Curious..
    How does it handle on icy roads? Is the battery weight a advantage?
    How comfortable is the ride?

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Car was parked in garage and preheated.

Drove 40 KMs lost 20% in range. Don't let any sheep tell you exaggerated numbers. If you want to be warm, not have to wear a zipped coat, toque, gloves and not have your windows fog up, you're going to lose 50%+ in range in -30 weather.

This is my third winter with my Tesla, it warms up fast and handles well in the winter but the range is a fucking joke lol
    finally not some fukcing sheep that only speaks good things about EVs. Drove the EV6 GT to try it out. Range dropped from 350km to 250km as indicated. Driving in the ice/snow sucks balls even with no regen. I dont understand how anyone would want to drive that in this weather.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Resistive heat M3P. Basically double the usage or half range. That's after charging at work outside then driving home and then picking up my kid from school. Suspension is stiff as fuck.

Name:  IMG_3310.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  282.0 KB

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    finally not some fukcing sheep that only speaks good things about EVs. Drove the EV6 GT to try it out. Range dropped from 350km to 250km as indicated. Driving in the ice/snow sucks balls even with no regen. I dont understand how anyone would want to drive that in this weather.
    If it gets you where you were going and range* wasn't an issue, they sound far better in many ways. Get in and go with instant heat and virtually no other drawbacks.

*Beyond members' don't need range because we all live 10 min from downtown and are convinced that driving to places like Canyon Meadows would be like making an expedition to the South Pole. Eww.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast