Quantcast
Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

On the Telsa forums I have seen photos of what looks like minor undercarriage damage result in damage to the batteries or total write-off. Take a look at this recent example of what appears to be very minor damage with the user claiming battery replacement required.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre.../#post-7646982

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The conspiracy nut in me thinks that Tesla would rather write the car off so they can 'sell' a new one through insurance to you and helps prod up their sales figures. Repairing isn't sexy.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the Telsa forums I have seen photos of what looks like minor undercarriage damage result in damage to the batteries or total write-off. Take a look at this recent example of what appears to be very minor damage with the user claiming battery replacement required.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre.../#post-7646982
    Even without electrification, cars are getting more disposable by the day.

We all pay for it tho thru insurance premium increase.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...os-price-range

Volvo EX30. 400km, RWD. $35K USD to start.

AWD 0-60 3.5s

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Why does Tesla do variable $/min? Do they charge more during the rapid charging or when it becomes more idle? $1.7 a minute seems so high.
    Time based feels so silly when you think about it, but you can blame it on Measurement Canada for the rule. They finally approved kWh billing this year so you can expect to see charging companies moving to that billing model soon for L3 chargers.

https://electricautonomy.ca/2023/02/...s-kwh-billing/

I believe kWh billing has been allowed in the US for a while now

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Time based feels so silly when you think about it, but you can blame it on Measurement Canada for the rule. They finally approved kWh billing this year so you can expect to see charging companies moving to that billing model soon for L3 chargers.

https://electricautonomy.ca/2023/02/...s-kwh-billing/

I believe kWh billing has been allowed in the US for a while now
    Fair. $ / min is very stupid unless you have a really fast charging car then it’s great to milk it haha. I wonder what we’ll settle at per kWh as I’m sure they’ll want a nice cushion of profit in overhead

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can't evaluate the claims in this article, but improvements in battery tech will be THE driving force behind wide adoption if EV's.
    Low cost long range is coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Can't evaluate the claims in this article, but improvements in battery tech will be THE driving force behind wide adoption if EV's.
    Low cost long range is coming.
    yes it is called synthetic fuels and hydrogen... EVs are not the long term solution esp when talking about commercial, i just looked at a etransit for work and it did not have enough range for a day of work ... junk

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    [...]i just looked at a etransit for work and it did not have enough range for a day of work ... junk
    You know there's such a thing as advancement of technology, right? Batteries now are not the same as they were 30 years ago. A reasonable person might suggest that 30 years into the future, they won't be the same as they are today.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The technological advancements required to make hydrogen and synthetic fuels make sense are no simpler than the ones required to greatly improve EV's. My bet is with EV's
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The technological advancements required to make hydrogen and synthetic fuels make sense are no simpler than the ones required to greatly improve EV's. My bet is with EV's
    Yeah, hydrogen doesn't make sense unless with go large scale nuclear and have huge amounts of cheap electricity available. Synthetic fuels help with the whole scarcity of oil but it's still polluting all the same. The rise in ethanol fuels has taken over huge agricultural lands so has its own concerns. Though mining for batteries isn't great either, they all suck.

I think current evs are quite close to being fine range wise if the charging infrastructure fills in but the commercial vehicles still suck and will lag behind for years. The e-transit getting <200km range is laughable and just doesn't make sense yet.

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah, hydrogen doesn't make sense unless with go large scale nuclear and have huge amounts of cheap electricity available. Synthetic fuels help with the whole scarcity of oil but it's still polluting all the same. The rise in ethanol fuels has taken over huge agricultural lands so has its own concerns. Though mining for batteries isn't great either, they all suck.

I think current evs are quite close to being fine range wise if the charging infrastructure fills in but the commercial vehicles still suck and will lag behind for years. The e-transit getting <200km range is laughable and just doesn't make sense yet.
    Range-wise they're close today, if it's summer or you live in LA. Cold climate performance, as well as battery longevity (i.e., when it needs to be replaced in however many years, you write off your car) are the constraints IMO. Charging infra won't fix either of those things.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Fair. $ / min is very stupid unless you have a really fast charging car then it’s great to milk it haha. I wonder what we’ll settle at per kWh as I’m sure they’ll want a nice cushion of profit in overhead
    Well if you address it as a parking problem $/min make sense. You don't like it? Get a fasting charging car.

Last thing you want is a 75kw car blocking a 250kw charger for too long which you know will happen as Elon opens Superchargers to other EVs.

yes it is called synthetic fuels and hydrogen... EVs are not the long term solution esp when talking about commercial, i just looked at a etransit for work and it did not have enough range for a day of work ... junk
    So far all EVs are on 200-250kwh/kg tech. CATL just promised 500wh/kg tech and Toyota is supposed to have 450wh/kg by 2025.

Depends on application, we just double the range or 1/2 the weight on a single generation change on battery tech.

Still a tough call on commercial application. Diesel even at 33% efficiency still packs around 4000wh/kg. Even the latest battery tech has to increase density 8 folds before diesel can be truly replaced.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-08-2023 at 01:24 PM.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I was very very wrong.

29,000km
    2539kWh
    $224.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

GM just announced they're joining Ford and also switching over to Tesla chargers & network in a couple years. With that I can't see the Tesla standard not taking over for good for North America.

My Ride
    *The First*

That seems like a win.

Until either Apple or Microsoft decide to get involved...

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Hydrogen and synthetic fuels are at the start of there life cycle a ripe for innovation, batteries according to some people are nearing the end, and will require major invention to move it forward... batteries need to charge in seconds and last longer..., the true carbon saving of EV's is very minor and dont solve any problem of today. They are just for virtue signalling knobs

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I disagree with a lot of this but I'm willing to be proven wrong. Finding out will take decades

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

German tuner already has some renderings of the VW Bus lowered

Name:  irmscher-vw-id.buzz-2023.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  irmscher-vw-id.buzz-2023 (1).jpg
Views: 355
Size:  70.7 KB

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Hydrogen and synthetic fuels are at the start of there life cycle a ripe for innovation, batteries according to some people are nearing the end, and will require major invention to move it forward... batteries need to charge in seconds and last longer..., the true carbon saving of EV's is very minor and dont solve any problem of today. They are just for virtue signalling knobs
    Disagree. I run a Bolt EUV as my commuter, and I've calculated and re-calculated the numbers.

It makes sense, for niche purposes. It's not for a daily only vehicle - THAT is for sure.

I drive 35k a year, by year 7-8 the vehicle will be paid for in fuel and oil savings. And it would be worth a few grand at that point.

*all calculations based on 9L/100km and $1.50 average fuel for the next 7-8 years.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Bicycle

Semi SSB from CATL is next. Follow by SSB by Toyota. After SSB there will be Li-S.

And in the interim for low cost/low density applications there will be Na-Ion.

So I would say battery dev is far from dead.

But battery that has enough density to replace gas/diesel in commercial application won't be around for awhile.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast