Quantcast
Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread. - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18
Results 341 to 352 of 352

Thread: Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread.

  1. #341
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Homeless
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    9,310
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a generator, just a heater. You can buy a RV sized diesel heater off Amazon for like $150.
    As with the ram thread generator capacity is comically cheaper than more batteries. Even if said generator is a few grand it’s peanuts in the cost of these buses.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What knowledge do you have of the current grid?
    No kidding tell that to the hundreds of millions (if not billions) being spent ripping up DT to move and upgrade electrical infra for green line.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

  2. #342
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    4,368
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Upgrading the electrical grid is a really minor concern. There's already EV chargers that use internal batteries to charge constantly from the grid then dump power quickly when connected to balance out the load.
    ok.

  3. #343
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ioniq 5
    Posts
    1,659
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As with the ram thread generator capacity is comically cheaper than more batteries. Even if said generator is a few grand it’s peanuts in the cost of these buses.

    - - - Updated - - -



    No kidding tell that to the hundreds of millions (if not billions) being spent ripping up DT to move and upgrade electrical infra for green line.
    Relocating entire utility corridors so that you can tunnel through the densest part of downtown is quite a different situation.

    The Edmonton bus' have ~660kwh batteries and run for about 4 hours. Presumably they aren't running them dead like idiots so say they use 60% of that. Works out to 100kW give or take. Yes that's a lot of power but at the same time one 200A service to a home means 24kW of capacity. We already have to have a significant amount of capacity throughout the city. As I said before if they built it around hubs near the end of transit routes it's really not as big of deal because that would spread the load out around the city.

    That makes a lot more sense than Edmonton's model of building one mega bus charging station. The Edmonton site installed 26x 150kW chargers and 7x 60kW chargers in their one station and those electric buses also have to waste power driving back and forth to said depot to charge.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 11-24-2023 at 04:33 PM.

  4. #344
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Big Char.
    My Ride
    *The First*
    Posts
    3,942
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    LoL.

  5. #345
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P
    Posts
    6,100
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    "I own an EV so I know what i'm talking about." - said somebody

  6. #346
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ioniq 5
    Posts
    1,659
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Can laugh all you want but Tesla opened a new super charger downtown with 8x 300kW chargers and our grid seems just fine. Sky hasn’t fallen.

  7. #347
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    The Big Char.
    My Ride
    *The First*
    Posts
    3,942
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can laugh all you want but Tesla opened a new super charger downtown with 8x 300kW chargers and our grid seems just fine. Sky hasnít fallen.
    I'm sorry, did you say eight?

  8. #348
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cochrane, AB
    My Ride
    Trucks
    Posts
    2,031
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry, did you say eight?
    That should be enough for a small Hamlet of 50 people.

  9. #349
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    V8s
    Posts
    4,368
    Rep Power
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can laugh all you want but Tesla opened a new super charger downtown with 8x 300kW chargers and our grid seems just fine. Sky hasn’t fallen.
    The city of Calgary has ~1100 buses and ~265 routes. Idk how many buses are on the road at one time, but I’m sure it’s enough to suck up a fucking lot of electricity. There’s zero math required to figure out that this would have a measurable impact on electrical infrastructure.

  10. #350
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ioniq 5
    Posts
    1,659
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The city of Calgary has ~1100 buses and ~265 routes. Idk how many buses are on the road at one time, but I’m sure it’s enough to suck up a fucking lot of electricity. There’s zero math required to figure out that this would have a measurable impact on electrical infrastructure.
    Yes, which is why it makes more sense to put hubs in a variety of areas spread out through the city. The buses would waste less travelling to a place to charge and the hubs would be closer to the electrical substations requiring less infrastructure.

  11. #351
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nothingburger Hill
    My Ride
    Bucket hat
    Posts
    12,928
    Rep Power
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, which is why it makes more sense to put hubs in a variety of areas spread out through the city. The buses would waste less travelling to a place to charge and the hubs would be closer to the electrical substations requiring less infrastructure.
    This would need to be part of the solution. The dozen or so bus terminals they already operate would need a couple chargers at each, and the bus would need to build in say 30 minutes at the time-point to charge. Getting "some" busses running on electricity isn't that bad. Getting every bus to be electric would be pretty difficult, but that's a 100 year project anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by whoreads View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man!

  12. #352
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Summer car or work truck
    Posts
    546
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, which is why it makes more sense to put hubs in a variety of areas spread out through the city. The buses would waste less travelling to a place to charge and the hubs would be closer to the electrical substations requiring less infrastructure.
    I don't think anyone is against your idea, given no other option but electric busses. Even the hub model you sugest would require some rather serious infastructure upgrades

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18

Similar Threads

  1. Oil Price MEGA THREAD - Yeah baby it's MEGA

    By ExtraSlow in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 242
    Latest Threads: 09-08-2023, 08:37 AM
  2. LF: Mega Man ZX & Mega Man ZX Advent for DS

    By Despair* in forum Video Games / Consoles
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM
  3. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD: Info, Chat, Discussion

    By l8braker in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 6475
    Latest Threads: 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
  4. Fs: **mega Misc. Thread!!!**

    By cycosis in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 08-21-2006, 09:47 PM
  5. The 2006 World Cup Soccer Mega Thread

    By RickDaTuner in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 492
    Latest Threads: 07-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •