Quantcast
Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread. - Page 23 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks man, it looks very nice. The redesigned front dash on the Porsche website is also pretty slick. It gonna be your next?

I still think it is too small for my family in its current state. We went on a ski trip last week to Silver Star (was planned in advance - really unfortunate timing with the deep freeze) and my wife was even annoyed with how tight ours gets when packed with sports gear and some luggage. As they get bigger, it's gonna be even worse. A roof rack would annoy me. Feel like I need to go bigger.

I'm intrigued with the Model X Plaid. Trying to see if I can make it work. Test drove MXLR week before last, it was fun.
    I am thinking about it. I need to wait and see the Pricing.
    In your use case , it may be a little tight for Space. For you it makes sense to go with Model X if you want to go fully EV.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by SportEL View Post
    *snip*
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 501
Size:  4.04 MB

simple google searches will yield a plethora of data to prove you wrong. But all good. Enjoy your conspiracy.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post

simple google searches will yield a plethora of data to prove you wrong. But all good. Enjoy your conspiracy.
    Surprised you don't just have him blocked like most people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Pretty Deep Dive
    It is interesting, but hard to say if it will retain the fun charming character of the original

I wonder if my swan-song GTS will go up in value?

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    It is interesting, but hard to say if it will retain the fun charming character of the original

I wonder if my swan-song GTS will go up in value?
    From everything I have read and seen it looks like the EV Macan is more fun than the ICE one. It looks like they have again produced another winner for P cars.
    I hope the ICE Macan GTS will Go up in value

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

No federal or provincial rebates on a Tesla M3 long range right?

Have been toying with the idea of swapping the RDX while they are still holding their value well
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Hybrid's the way to go. I'll go full EV once kids are out of my hair.
    I like hybrid
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    No federal or provincial rebates on a Tesla M3 long range right?

Have been toying with the idea of swapping the RDX while they are still holding their value well
    Fed $5K in play for Model 3 Long Range AWD (just don't know if we are getting Shanghai or Fremont units at the moment, they keep flipping).

Either they have no inventory or they have not been displaying them since the Dec clearance. The question is if you want to wait for new model without turning stalk or whatever old models that will be landing next little while.

EVs are just doing great in the Cold Weather. Chargers Dead, long line-ups, long charges, Towing back to Service Centers. Imagine even more of these vehicles on the Road with forced adoption

My Ride
    Bicycle

The Chicago story is just a charger failure. And it became a huge problem for condo dweller that can't charge at home.

If you own an EV and charge exclusively at DCFC, you may as well get an ICE.

IMHO, that story is no different than this one.
    https://calgary.citynews.ca/video/20...-gas-stations/

But it's an EV related failure, get more traction.

EV tech of today satisfy an niche. Someone that doesn't drive more the 150km per day in -30c, have a detached house and garage their cars and may have a 2nd ICE vehicle to cover other short falls. It's not going to completely replace ICE in every use case.

https://electrek.co/2024/01/17/elect...-extreme-cold/

Over at Norway, 25% vehicle on the roads are EV and 23% of the road assistance calls are EVs. TLDR, cold sucks if you are unprepared.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-17-2024 at 01:19 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

One solution for the EV front is installing L2 chargers in more places people park for hours. Plus companies can charge small amounts to make revenue from it so it makes economic sense as well. Work parking lots, parkades, arenas, movie theaters, etc are all good options where people park for hours.

L2 is better for the grid as well as it's a lower more constant load then one car pulling 100+kW

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

To be fair, big difference with Gas pump freezing, you can drive across the street to the other gas station and get gas lol.

And yea, if you can’t charge at home, ev doesn’t make a lot of sense. So there is some valid criticism in the forced ev adoption that’s being rammed down. Do we see a future where chargers are as plentiful as gas stations today? Will battery technology improve so it can serve the same, or even half the volume of cars assuming 1/2 the people have access to home charging and won’t need ev chargers in the city? Lots of uncertainty and technological leaps required by the time we hit the gas cars ban.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nissan x2

I don't think the intent is to replace EVs with gas 1 for 1. Its to limit the total number of vehicles on the roads and force people to take transit who would otherwise drive shitboxes.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    I don't think the intent is to replace EVs with gas 1 for 1. Its to limit the total number of vehicles on the roads and force people to take transit who would otherwise drive shitboxes.
    You spelled "compulsory redistribution of wealth" incorrectly, Comrade.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    https://electrek.co/2024/01/17/elect...-extreme-cold/

Over at Norway, 25% vehicle on the roads are EV and 23% of the road assistance calls are EVs. TLDR, cold sucks if you are unprepared.
    Come on, that stat is so irrelevant people dont actually believe these shit do they? EVs are "better" in winter because it needs less road side assistance/boosting service? Really?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    Come on, that stat is so irrelevant people dont actually believe these shit do they? EVs are "better" in winter because it needs less road side assistance/boosting service? Really?
    EVbros are all crying over the bias media reporting EV failings in extreme weather.

And then this happens:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mitsubishi/...rt_in_extreme/

TLDR, some AB Outlander EV owners can't start their cars because it's too cold. Well be fully charged battery and block heater attached.

I don't think this is Media Bias... lots of sources reporting this, all the same:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/dont-buy-...o-temperatures

Glad I didn't go the EV route yet

With temperatures consistently below zero in Chicago, electric vehicle drivers there have struggled to keep their EVs charged over the past few days.

EV batteries tend to lose power faster in cold weather, getting as little as 50-60% of their advertised range, AAA tells PCMag. That effect is especially pronounced in really cold weather like in Chicago, where even the public schools are closed today due to "wind chills that could reach -30 degrees [Fahrenheit]."

Charging stations around the city are over capacity. Drivers are traveling long distances for an open stall, then waiting in long lines. Some cars don't make it, and are towed while waiting, WGN Chicago reports.

Once their car is finally plugged in, it takes longer than usual to power up. “You have to come up here, wait two hours to get into the charger. They tell you it’s fast, but then it takes two hours to charge your car,” Marcus Campbell tells NBC Chicago.

"I've never seen it like this before," says one driver on TikTok as she scrolls through her Tesla app, which shows 20- to 30-minute wait times at most Superchargers near her. "Don't get a Tesla," she says, unless you live in a warm climate.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

For some reason EV bros think losing 40-50% range is ok?! I dont get it. I'm not even a EV hater just an everything hater. But the bias is unreal.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't think this is Media Bias... lots of sources reporting this, all the same:

The Chicago stories has been doing the round lately. A lot of these people live in condos and can't charge at home, picking an EV is the wrong choice there.

Public charging is a shit show. 2x shit show when it takes longer and demand is higher in extreme cold. One Uber driver said he drove by one DC charger every 2 hrs and only saw a spot after 3 days and had to rent a hybrid for the time being to keep driving.

Much like that TFL click bait video, if you know what you are dealing with, it's not really an issue if public DC charger doesn't fail you.

I kinda like EVs but I don't think it'll be suited for AB for the edge cases until full solid state battery is cheap enough.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-18-2024 at 06:42 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Chicago issue is kind of a funny story that’s entirely teslas fault. It only affected the 250kW chargers because they use liquid cooling in their charging cables. The coolant froze so the chargers heavily dropped their ratings and no one could charge.

Elsewhere and in Canada no such issue happened. Seems Tesla just didn’t use a cold enough mixture specifically in that area for the cold snap. The older V2 Tesla chargers without liquid cooling also had no issue there.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 ... LastLast