Quantcast
Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread. - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Vehicle MEGA Thread.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not suitable for submarine sandwich enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    If it gets you where you were going and range* wasn't an issue, they sound far better in many ways. Get in and go with instant heat and virtually no other drawbacks.

*Beyond members' don't need range because we all live 10 min from downtown and are convinced that driving to places like Canyon Meadows would be like making an expedition to Gaza. Eww.
    ftfy
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I'm still at the point where I need a gas vehicle as my primary. I could do an electric as a runabout though, but only if I could have a private charger in my stall.

Fuck doing a road trip in an electric. I know it can be done, but it's a pain until we get more infrastructure.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I could probably live with a golf cart for a runabout, doesn’t make it a good idea
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

We've done Edmonton a bunch of times. We stop in Red Deer in both directions as the kids need a break and I consuming electrons fast enough that I wouldn't make it unless I slide over to the right lane. Fuck that, rather charge for 10 minutes while kids pee and pass people like they are standing still.

We also did Kelowna once and it was fine. In Revelstoke, we had to wait 5 minutes in line before charging for 20. This is before Elon put a second set of chargers. I decided that I knew better than the Nav system when it told me to detour to Sicamous to charge. It had anticipated the line and I could have skipped Revy and gone straight to Golden on our way back.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In a 2 car family, EV for 1 of those vehicles makes a lot of sense.
    The cost is a barrier, and the unfamiliarity too. Ah well, no biggie.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    We've done Edmonton a bunch of times. We stop in Red Deer in both directions as the kids need a break and I consuming electrons fast enough that I wouldn't make it unless I slide over to the right lane. Fuck that, rather charge for 10 minutes while kids pee and pass people like they are standing still.

We also did Kelowna once and it was fine. In Revelstoke, we had to wait 5 minutes in line before charging for 20. This is before Elon put a second set of chargers. I decided that I knew better than the Nav system when it told me to detour to Sicamous to charge. It had anticipated the line and I could have skipped Revy and gone straight to Golden on our way back.
    Yeah it is doable, but with a gas vehicle you don't even think about where to stop, never mind charging time. That is where EV infrastructure needs to be, where you just go and don't worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Cost has been coming down. I think I'm a few years we will see cheaper EVs that are head and shoulders above what's out there right now.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Or just PHEV's for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Well I parked out front for shits n giggles and see how it does in the morning. Currently at 65%.

I do have a hard time taking info from the Bolt platform solely because it doesn't exactly have a great battery setup to begin with. It uses older NCA battery chemistry plus even for charging they max out at 55kW. It's a good thing they're being discontinued but the next generation bolt does look like it'll be great using GM's Ultium platform.
    The current bolt is the best EV for the price if you have a 220V and a garage.

The DC fast charging is too slow to have it as a primary car. It compliments what I need it for perfectly.

I don’t think it’ll actually make a proper ultium transition. There are mixed messages out there.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Fired up the Ioniq 5 this morning and no drama. Parked the car overnight at 65% and then it still showed 65% in the app this morning. Gave it 10 minutes to warm up before hoping in and it’d fallen to 62% which seems reasonable. The battery care does use a fair bit of power initially but it was just the initial warming up.

I wouldn’t say the car was toasty warm today, it was comfortable inside but I had to leave the fan on high. Definitely a noticeable drop between -35 and yesterdays -25 but still was warm enough.

Power usage 1km from home after sitting through Starbucks line:
    Name:  IMG_6698.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  161.3 KB

Took the longer loop home and after 6km:

Name:  IMG_6699.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  184.6 KB
    Last edited by pheoxs; 01-12-2024 at 09:55 AM.

My Ride

That's pretty decent. So lets just pretend it loses 5% per 24 hours, at a full charge you could have it parked for a couple of weeks in this weather and still enough juice to go somewhere.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    That's pretty decent. So lets just pretend it loses 5% per 24 hours, at a full charge you could have it parked for a couple of weeks in this weather and still enough juice to go somewhere.
    I don't think it lost any charge overnight. It's only when I started it up that it heats the battery and the drop was from warming the car up.

My Ride
    V8s

“Not toasty warm” is a turn off for me haha. Does it not have a resistive heater?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    “Not toasty warm” is a turn off for me haha. Does it not have a resistive heater?
    It does, it was still warm inside and comfortable. Usually if I turn the fan and temp up when starting it up it'll get too hot and I have to turn it back down. This morning it didn't get excessively hot, but it was warm enough. But I also only drove a small loop around heritage to southland dr and back.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Hey guys. We are thinking about transitioning our family hauler from a V8 to an EV. Waiting on either the EV9 or ID Buzz.

A couple newbie questions:

1) What kind of stuff do we need to upgrade/install for EV Charging? how much is that?

2) can you park and charge the car outside on the driveway? even in winter time?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Hey guys. We are thinking about transitioning our family hauler from a V8 to an EV. Waiting on either the EV9 or ID Buzz.

1) What kind of stuff do we need to upgrade/install for EV Charging? how much is that?

2) can you park and charge the car outside on the driveway? even in winter time?
    You'd want to install a level 2 charger. There's a variety of options but you're probably looking at ~$500 plus however an electrician charges to wire the circuit in. Or if you have a welder outlet you can buy chargers that just plug into that.

You can charge outside but you'll lose more power in the winter as the battery needs to be warm in order to charge it. In this weather it might not be worth it but depending on how much you drive you likely don't have to charge every day.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post

Check your panel to make sure you have capacity. They take a lot of power. We have an L2 charger (installed by the previous owners of the house), and they had to give up the hot tub circuit for it.

Also, idk if you’ve done it yet, but it’s worth doing a detailed TCO calculation. When I did it for us comparing an EV (model Y) vs. the gx460, the net difference in ownership cost was negligible, but we would have a smaller and less practical EV instead of a big suv that can do everything.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

You don't "need" 200Amp service, but it is better. I've gotten away with 100A service with a 60A wall connector and have never tripped the main breaker. No hot tub though.

Currently have 2 60A connectors with 200A main service which give much more headroom.

You can charge your car outside. I know a few people that do that. No issues other than it takes longer to charge (especially in this weather) as the car typically stops charging to warm the batteries to accept the additional electrons.

My TCO before covid was awesome. Free charging at work, so my "gas" bill went from $800-$900 a month to $0. Now with WFH, we hardly drive so the TCO probably gets closer to the same.

But, as an example. At the gym this morning, I left in my T-shirt and shorts and the lady who left at the same time was fully bundled up. She said "bare arms?" I said, my heater has be running the whole time.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    If it gets you where you were going and range* wasn't an issue, they sound far better in many ways. Get in and go with instant heat and virtually no other drawbacks.

*Beyond members' don't need range because we all live 10 min from downtown and are convinced that driving to places like Canyon Meadows would be like making an expedition to the South Pole. Eww.
    Funny, I drove 150km yesterday shuttling the kids around for sports then picking up nephew from airport which ended up 1.5 hours delayed. Used remote start to keep car warm, burnt a little over a quarter tank of gas in the E53. If I ended up with that EV6 GT it would’ve failed yesterday. Tesla model 3 probably would’ve managed ok, barely. Still need range.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post

Your kids have to pee on a 2.5h drive to Edmonton? Time to see a doctor lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Your kids have to pee on a 2.5h drive to Edmonton? Time to see a doctor lol.
    It's all that soda.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 ... LastLast