Quantcast
Passport renewal delays - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Passport renewal delays

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need to have the photos stamped by the photographer on the back.

I'm on to maybe my 7th or 8th passport (I used to fill them up every couple of years, even when they were 48-pages) and I'm sure my "professional photos" were rejected at least twice because of a little bit of shadow or shine or whatever other shit the passport people want to nitpick that day so it's worth going to someone that knows exactly how the photo needs to be.
    My parents are pros, they do passport photos weekly for one of the consulates before they fully retired, and even their perfect to guideline passport photos gets randomly rejected by Service Canada agents for the dumbest shit that's not even in the guidelines.

Service Canada agents are just assholes IMO haha. Even more so now that they have all the control of your travels.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The guy at the passport office told me that Staples generally doesn't get rejected. Walmart gets rejected all the time. It's too bad Costco doesn't do them anymore. Never had a problem with their photos.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My parents are pros, they do passport photos weekly for one of the consulates before they fully retired, and even their perfect to guideline passport photos gets randomly rejected by Service Canada agents for the dumbest shit that's not even in the guidelines.

Service Canada agents are just assholes IMO haha. Even more so now that they have all the control of your travels.
    Yea, I think one set of photos that I had rejected was from the AMA. At least they did the re-takes for free but it doesn't save all of the extra time and hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    The guy at the passport office told me that Staples generally doesn't get rejected. Walmart gets rejected all the time. It's too bad Costco doesn't do them anymore. Never had a problem with their photos.
    I think it's more the person than the place but yea, I wouldn't trust anyone working at Wal-Mart to get it right which is why I try to go to the small shops with people who care about the end result (not to mention supporting small businesses).

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've never been rejected. Just hear stories from my parents. I've been using London Drugs since they retired with no problems. Must be my charm.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    You need to have the photos stamped by the photographer on the back.

I'm on to maybe my 7th or 8th passport (I used to fill them up every couple of years, even when they were 48-pages) and I'm sure my "professional photos" were rejected at least twice because of a little bit of shadow or shine or whatever other shit the passport people want to nitpick that day so it's worth going to someone that knows exactly how the photo needs to be.
    Weird. I checked the guidelines and you're right but I'm certain I've had >1 with nothing but a date stamp on the back.
    Plus there was one where the shadows were so bad it clearly looked like I had a mullet and it still passed.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Updates. I went to Wilson Photo for the pics - $13 for the 2 pics and he spent a good 10 minutes making sure they looked good. Nice guy, too. https://www.wilsonphotoandvideo.net/

I then went to Harry Hay's just to speak with a security guard and find out how things are going. The couple in front of me had lined up a few weeks ago and received their passport... the information in it was incorrect. The guy was telling them they basically need to line-up again. Their trip is in a few days. Godspeed to them.

I then asked what time I should plan to line up if I wanted to get in. He told me that he couldn't give a time but that people start queuing around 4am and usually there are 200 people by the time they open. He then said that today, there were double that many people.

So yea, this country is fucking hopeless. I went and bought a couple of bottles of whisky to dull the pain, as our comrades in the USSR did.
    Last edited by davidI; 06-23-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Did your friend have an appt?
    No. She looked online before we left the house and it was booking into august. When we arrived the online estimate was at 2.5hrs.

Side note, passport came today.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    No. She looked online before we left the house and it was booking into august. When we arrived the online estimate was at 2.5hrs.

Side note, passport came today.
    Was your friend travelling in the next 45 hours, or days, I'm guessing hours?

Wife's been getting the run around as expected on our daughters. It was, as predicted, not ready on the 20th as advertised. She can't get through on the phones so is going downtown tomorrow to see if they will transfer and rush the passport.

If there's no luck there, I guess one of us goes back Wednesday as a 2 day rush, and does a fresh application, as our flight is July 4th early AM.

If all that fails, I guess I get a 5 figure West Jet travel credit

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post

Wife's been getting the run around as expected on our daughters. It was, as predicted, not ready on the 20th as advertised. She can't get through on the phones so is going downtown tomorrow to see if they will transfer and rush the passport.

If there's no luck there, I guess one of us goes back Wednesday as a 2 day rush, and does a fresh application, as our flight is July 4th early AM.

Call your MP. srs.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Pierre P can fix!

3 to 45 business days. Stood in line and dropped off the documents on June 6th. Called referenced ect the 14th and 15th. Passport arrived yesterday. (the 23rd). Our travel date is July 22nd as described on the letter i wrote for her. This was also not just a routine application as it was for her son and she is divorced with sole custody. They still had to get ahold of the dad and have the custody order with.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This was also not just a routine application as it was for her son and she is divorced with sole custody. They still had to get ahold of the dad and have the custody order with.
    That's a new one. We're same situation, and we just have to present the court documents. We actually have to bring all the docs whenever we travel, but never had to contact the dad.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

3 to 45 business days. Stood in line and dropped off the documents on June 6th. Called referenced ect the 14th and 15th. Passport arrived yesterday. (the 23rd). Our travel date is July 22nd as described on the letter i wrote for her. This was also not just a routine application as it was for her son and she is divorced with sole custody. They still had to get ahold of the dad and have the custody order with.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    That's a new one. We're same situation, and we just have to present the court documents. We actually have to bring all the docs whenever we travel, but never had to contact the dad.
    I sure am glad those days are over for me!! I hated having to get a letter every time I wanted to take my son across any border. Especially when no one really looked at it. The only time they did was a Canadian border agent who read through the whole thing as I was coming back into Canada with him.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    I sure am glad those days are over for me!! I hated having to get a letter every time I wanted to take my son across any border. Especially when no one really looked at it. The only time they did was a Canadian border agent who read through the whole thing as I was coming back into Canada with him.
    I think we paid $3k for that letter once, because he refused last minute and had to go to emergency family court and lawyer fees for that ain't cheap. Since that debacle, the judge saw thru the shenanigans and just gave us docs for full travel going forward. So I guess it's not THAT bad now? We always get thanked for bringing the docs. Guess agents reject families a lot when they don't have the right papers.

But yea, 3 more years to go for us. Can't wait.

Update? Did you get it?
    Still waiting... Was told Apr 27 passport arrival date.
    Got 3 of the same emails from passport office saying the thing. Like grandma working a computer.
    Be patient and due to covid...

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Wife went in at 6AM, did the shuffling line while people travelling within 48 hours were filtered past and at 1:30 pm was told she was the last person to make the cutoff. Everyone behind her was told to try again tomorrow. She stayed till 5, saw someone and they haven’t even scanned our documents (from early march) so they will try and escalate, but if it hasn’t been scanned and printed by Wednesday we have to reapply fully and pay the urgent fee for a same day passport on Thursday, which is the last day before our trip.
    Based on them filtering through urgent people first, I think we’ll be ok, but I’d rather be applying Wednesday or something band repeated days off to apply for passports is super annoying.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wife went in at 6AM, did the shuffling line while people travelling within 48 hours were filtered past and at 1:30 pm was told she was the last person to make the cutoff. Everyone behind her was told to try again tomorrow. She stayed till 5, saw someone and they haven’t even scanned our documents (from early march) so they will try and escalate, but if it hasn’t been scanned and printed by Wednesday we have to reapply fully and pay the urgent fee for a same day passport on Thursday, which is the last day before our trip.
    Based on them filtering through urgent people first, I think we’ll be ok, but I’d rather be applying Wednesday or something band repeated days off to apply for passports is super annoying.
    They wouldn’t let you pay urgent that day? I mean you were already there, save a day off.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Nope, said it had to be within 48 hours of a flight, and since that’s Monday the 4th (they are closed Friday) they said she couldn’t go in until Wednesday or Thursday. But they might have the original one done Wednesday so just got new photos today in preparation.

Sounds like we're in the same boat. Still don't want to line up.
    Originally back in March was told, no need to pay for fast processing, it'll be ready April 12 or something like that.

Taking notes off your posts.

Wonder if stampede will make it slower or faster.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast