Quantcast
Consumer Reports Can Blow Me - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports Can Blow Me

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Lololol. We have 4 nissans in the hosuehold and I enjoy them. My 2019 qx80 is doing better than my neighbors 2020 LX, seems like he got the lemon lexus.

That said, there is probably 2 Nissan products i would buy currently (400Z and GTR) and maybe 2 Infiniti products. The rest is pretty trash..
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Nissan murano with cvt. Worst. Car. Ever.

To be fair my qx4 was bulletproof.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

anecdotal evidence is the best evidence. Surely even better than CR survey data.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Guys - I need to lower my medical bills, stat!!
    Who can help me with this for less than $10 and in fewer than 800 words??!?

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post

Basically anything heavy, AWD and the CVT; Avoid. Honda seemed to have an issue with their 2000's V6 Auto equipped heavy cars/suv/van. 200k and boom like clockwork. (that said, 200k though)

Got a QX4 in the family still, currently going through it's second 16yo driver. On my daily G, I just do maintenance on it. It just crossed 200k never had any issues; wheel bearing once.

Lets skip over the S14.

Main point for posting @Pen : Reading Consumer Reports? Yikes. Tell me you're old without telling me you're old.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    anecdotal evidence is the best evidence. Surely even better than CR survey data.
    That's why I never understand the hate for CR and JD power. They aren't perfect but they are as close as we have for reliable data given the thousands of surveys completed. Anecdotal evidence isn't useless but is just not reliable seeing even the best brands send lemons and the reality is that most automotive owners don't frequent automotive forums so the only way to get their experiences on the matter is through survey. When I look at any CR or JD power reliability chart there is often one or two brands that surprise but typically over the years the same brands populate the top and bottom showing some consistency that you would expect. People get emotional when discussing brands that are dear to their heart and often have difficulty dealing with reality so it's just easier for them to dismiss statistical evidence and side with their own anecdotal experiences. It's human nature.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    That's why I never understand the hate for CR and JD power. They aren't perfect but they are as close as we have for reliable data given the thousands of surveys completed. Anecdotal evidence isn't useless but is just not reliable seeing even the best brands send lemons and the reality is that most automotive owners don't frequent automotive forums so the only way to get their experiences on the matter is through survey. When I look at any CR or JD power reliability chart there is often one or two brands that surprise but typically over the years the same brands populate the top and bottom showing some consistency that you would expect. People get emotional when discussing brands that are dear to their heart and often have difficulty dealing with reality so it's just easier for them to dismiss statistical evidence and side with their own anecdotal experiences. It's human nature.
    If the car is brand new. How the hell do they rate reliability? I have never understood that part.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Do you see this picture?

Attachment 106519

What articles does the magazine in this picture have? The giant cover story and two other articles are for fucking idiots. This magazine should have a picture of a Kardashian on it and be at the till in a grocery store.

Is that clear?
    I don't think CR used to be that way, but it sure is now.
    I don’t see any issues with the articles presented here.

Reliable used cars? Good info.

Lower medical bills? Useful if you’re American.

Best tasting veggie burgers? Not for me but we’re overrun by switching off meat so it’s good info for those that pursue it.

Boosting brain power, saving this for last, and as someone who’s getting older where I’ve managed my workflow much different than when I was young because my memory clearly isn’t as good as it used to be, I’d probably read that article and try some of the memory building games.

Really don’t see a problem with any of it. I’m not the target demographic here, but at least 1 article I’d skim partly.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Guys - I need to lower my medical bills, stat!!
    Who can help me with this for less than $10 and in fewer than 800 words??!?
    Are you mainlining until June 13, 2022 as instructed on the cover?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    If the car is brand new. How the hell do they rate reliability? I have never understood that part.
    You are confusing reliability with I believe JD Power's Initial Quality study which is problems per 100 vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. It's telling of which vehicles roll off the assembly line put together the best but not necessarily indicative of long term reliability. I believe they start at 3 years for reliability studies.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I don’t see any issues with the articles presented here.

Reliable used cars? Good info.

Lower medical bills? Useful if you’re American.

Best tasting veggie burgers? Not for me but we’re overrun by switching off meat so it’s good info for those that pursue it.

Boosting brain power, saving this for last, and as someone who’s getting older where I’ve managed my workflow much different than when I was young because my memory clearly isn’t as good as it used to be, I’d probably read that article and try some of the memory building games.

Really don’t see a problem with any of it. I’m not the target demographic here, but at least 1 article I’d skim partly.
    Really??!
    That's interesting. To me, its tone is absolutely screaming LOSE WEIGHT NOW - ASK ME HOW!! with a side of THESE 11 SUPER FOODS WILL BOOST YOUR COGNITION WHILE MAKING YOUR WEINER THICKER with a pic of Dr. Oz in the background or something along those lines.

Plus, "best tasting" is like a car magazine's "top 5 cat-back shootout" kind of thing. Like a subjective award in the field of subjectivity.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post

I will never, ever, get another Nissan ever. Both my Nissans CVT failed at <50,000 km (Altima and Pathfinder). Both transmissions had to be replaced. Dealerships are also horrible, although, except Brasso Nissan. Never go to Fishcreek. Service there is horrendous. I honestly feel the Service Manager hates his job. Zero, as in negative even, customer service.

Some Nissans are good, but the rest are for sure, nope.

Although I did have a G37 sometime ago. I love it. It was a manual. Now I cry.
    Last edited by jampack; 05-25-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Really??!
    That's interesting. To me, its tone is absolutely screaming LOSE WEIGHT NOW - ASK ME HOW!! with a side of THESE 11 SUPER FOODS WILL BOOST YOUR COGNITION WHILE MAKING YOUR WEINER THICKER with a pic of Dr. Oz in the background or something along those lines.

Plus, "best tasting" is like a car magazine's "top 5 cat-back shootout" kind of thing. Like a subjective award in the field of subjectivity.
    Clearly you’re not my target demographic for my spam review thread.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    You are confusing reliability with I believe JD Power's Initial Quality study which is problems per 100 vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. It's telling of which vehicles roll off the assembly line put together the best but not necessarily indicative of long term reliability. I believe they start at 3 years for reliability studies.
    Fair point. My bad.
    I do wonder if that is a factor in this day and age. It certanly was not a factor when I bought my vehicle. The term quality is subjective though.
    But then as Rage mentioned, im not the target demograpic. I don't think Asians or east Indians are(i.e think of the TNT parking lot or Fruiticanna in the NE).

Who is the target demographic?

As for the Nissan hate. My Honda mechanic will not touch Nissans...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

But then as Rage mentioned, im not the target demograpic. I don't think Asians or east Indians are(i.e think of the TNT parking lot or Fruiticanna in the NE).

Who is the target demographic?
    Non car people who aren’t cheap. Which is the majority of car buyers.

My Ride
    V167

I have a 2013 Infiniti EX37. VQ37 powered, zippy, good stereo, nice interior, good technology for 2013 (360 camera, lane departure assist/warnings, radar cruise control, etc). Bought it from Hyatt Infiniti. I went out that day car shopping specifically looking for non-euro as I was tired of driving cars with CEL always on (ie: VAG). I am like 7 years into ownership of the EX37 and can say its held up very well. I can't actually think of any unusual repairs that have been required. I had a front wheel bearing replaced during warrant period. I think that is about it. I do the oil changes myself, get the filters from Nissan down the road, its been pretty straight forward.

Going forward, its replacement will be a Euro. I miss the switches. I miss the way shit just makes sense inside an MB or VAG product. That said, no new car actually piques my interest so I have no idea what I will end up with. Much confusion.

They don’t. CR presents previous years’ reliability by category, often going back 6 or 7 years if they have enough data. But for the current model year, they’ll state a “predicted reliability” which is based on a combination of those previous years history combined with what’s known about any changes made to the car for the current year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So did they blow the op yet or what?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

The term quality is subjective though.
    Indeed. One has to distinguish if they mean how “nice” something is. The tangible feel… how the doors sound when they close, how the switchgear feels, how’s the panel gaps etc? Or does quality mean how often something “breaks”?

Those are not the same thing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think the companies define thier terms very clearly of you care to look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast