Quantcast
Party car - now with more party - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Party car - now with more party

My Ride
    party car

It's been a busy few days in the house.

Day 1 was off to a slow start - needed to take many photos of the block. This thing is so beautiful! The cams are all stamped with "Piper Cams" and there's an emblem on on the car that says Mountune Racing engines. It's such a beautiful new block - I'm so excited for it!
    Name:  PXL_20220624_022138694.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  PXL_20220624_022737685.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  133.8 KB

We started to strip off the old block and put the parts onto the new block, and of course, we had to start with the ceramic coated exhaust manifold - and goddamn, it's so beautiful.

Name:  PXL_20220624_034410180.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  170.6 KB
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    party car

Day two - more parts being stripped off the old block, but the biggest item is the new clutch and flywheel.

It was very intimidating, as an internet mechanic - I mostly know nothing, which means that everything was a learning experience. I learned that you need to torque things in a specific way (sorry OG car people, learning my way around)

We got a Stage 2 clutch and flywheel from Spec - and it is so nice it looks so good.

Name:  PXL_20220624_223718961.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  PXL_20220625_014130219.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  194.3 KB

My Ride
    party car

Saturday was the biggest day. Seriously, the biggest.

Had some amazing friends over from my club, Redline Sorority. It was the first garage party we've had as a club and it was really fun.

Started the day by installing the turbo onto the block, then it moved quickly as more hands showed up in the shop. Intake manifold, valve cover, and the rest of the dressing went on really quickly.

Name:  PXL_20220626_001215972.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  139.7 KB

And then suddenly the transmission was on the block.

Name:  PXL_20220626_001210279.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  168.8 KB

And then, a day ahead of schedule, we were able to put the engine in the car!

Name:  PXL_20220626_004656980.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  214.1 KB

The biggest frustration of the day was running the wiring harness and all the random hoses that we had pulled off of the car when we were tearing it apart. It mostly a game of 'hmm where does this fit?'

Name:  PXL_20220626_031516432.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  202.7 KB

Name:  PXL_20220626_034820485.MP.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  228.2 KB

It was a long night, friends were over past 11 (which is late for me haha), but we got so much done. We finished dressing the new engine, put the transmission together, installed the engine in the car, put the belts on, hoses, wiring harness, new Mishimoto radiator, front crash bar - there wasn't much left after Saturday night.

Not much of a big update for Sunday (day 4) - we finished buttoning up the wiring harness and then started to fill the car with coolant, break-in oil and transmission oil... then it was time to start the car... except that it didn't start. We figured it was probably just the bad gas - it had been siting for 9 months with 94 octane spiked with a bit of E85 - the joys of blowing up on the track. So we really thought the fuel was bad. We decided to siphon off the gas the next day and try new fuel in the car.

My Ride
    party car

The big day was day 5!

We picked some brains and had a few ideas of what to troubleshoot on the engine to get it running. We bought new gas and then started hunting down any grounds we had missed bolting in. We definitely missed the ground for the starter (go figure) and the car STARTED!! After 9 months of being dead in the water, the car started!

A bit rough at the beginning because we had essentially starved the engine of fuel, but once we got all the pieces back in the right spots, the car keeps starting and running really well!

Name:  PXL_20220627_004536824.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  417.7 KB

We started to tidy up the wiring harness so that nothing is rubbing against any friction parts.

There's just a few things left to get it road ready, have to retorque a bunch of nuts - wheels and hubs. Then the missing body panels, headlights, hood, and then we also need to wrap the intake hose - being next to the new exhaust headers gets a bit hot and it's already starting to melt the hose!

Sadly, I still haven't put the underglow on - as much as I want to put it on, I keep putting it off for other projects.

That said, we did end up caving on the injectors and new we have new injectors coming next week haha

Name:  PXL_20220628_042715669.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  163.2 KB

So what's next?

Now we need to break-in the clutch and the engine - going to be driving around lots with the new set up to get the clutch ready for our remote dyno tune. We've been very fortunate to be sponsored by a couple great shops - RCTS Autoworx here in Calgary is helping us with the dyno time and oil change between the dyno break-in and dyno tune. Our dyno tune is sponsored by Stratified Automotive out of Langley, BC - I've been tuned by them since I started and really love the drivability of their tunes and they've been amazing to work with. I'm really really excited to be working with such great groups and looking forward to the remote dyno tune - I can't wait to see what numbers we push!

Great thread, thanks ReiRei. As I said the Fiesta ST has been a favorite of mine, and I've frequently nearly picked one up in order to do something similar, but always chicken out because I'm an extreme n00b when it comes to working on cars. I'd like to see some videos of this car once you have it on the road. Really interested to hear how it sounds too.

Great job so far.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 06-28-2022 at 12:16 AM.

Awesome thread!
    Glad to see it back to life!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Nice. I like when people DIY, good to see the progress.

My Ride
    V167

A+ thread.

My Ride
    Has wheels

What did you go with for injectors?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Got any spare aftermarket parts for the Fiesta? I might scoop some things depending what you have

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Awesome progress reiRei!

My Ride
    party car

Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What did you go with for injectors?
    We went with these: https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify...-free-shipping

They should be here next Tuesday and in time for tuning the car.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Got any spare aftermarket parts for the Fiesta? I might scoop some things depending what you have
    Sadly, no spare items - I did upgrade my downpipe, but sold it to a friend right after I took it out. Will definitely keep you in mind if I take things off, I imagine I'll be upgrading the turbo in the winter - so perhaps a turbo?

In car updates, we took it for it's maiden voyage last night!

Name:  PXL_20220628_235705116.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  321.2 KB

We toured around town and then got more gas - put 15 kilometers on the car, I need to keep driving it around, but mother nature is being an unkind lady.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I really enjoyed my Fiesta ST (except the seats on long drives). It had a lot of personality. Looking forward to hearing about how the new motor feels once you can give 'er the beans.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

Looking good!

Name:  20220707_220816.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  227.8 KB

My Ride
    party car

oh hey - thank you! We were out watching Thor

Some updates:

We got our base map and new injectors this week, hoping to take the car for a few rips this weekend to keep breaking everything in.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Do you still have that Pinto? I think it deserves a 2.3 Ecoboost once the Fiesta is done.

My Ride
    party car

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Do you still have that Pinto? I think it deserves a 2.3 Ecoboost once the Fiesta is done.
    Naw, I sold it I moved from BC to Calgary and didn't want to transport it and do the OOP inspection, but before I stored it away I did snap a picture of both the beans together

Name:  IMG_20170220_172455.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  393.2 KB

Project update

Finally rolled over break-in! 1000 kms, but only a minor coolant leak (and it's not a big leak, it's more like a seep?)

Did a photoshoot and Deerfoot City recently with their really cool mural, will be posting more content on my instagram

Name:  DSC01716.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  360.2 KB

We're now working on the e-tune with Stratified, once we suss out the 91/94 map, I think we'll be dyno tuning the E30 map.

.. also still need to hunt down the stupid leak.

My Ride
    party car

It's been at least a car season since I've updated!

Managed to drive the car up to Rad Torque (FKA Castrol) - which was it's longest drive, and it managed to make it!

Name:  DSC05770_DxO_smol.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  367.4 KB

(The Golf R in the background got an 11.3 this season, super awesome)

It was more of a spiritual return to the track - and the event, that I blew the car up at. It was really a fun event.

As far as progress on the build, we've been slowly tuning the car and running into some weirdness.

We're currently tuning the car with Stratified Auto, and every so often when we're just cruising down the highway, I hit limp mode. Kind of weird - I don't get a check engine light, but a traction control light (anyone have this happen to them before?) I pull over, turn the car on and off and then we're good to go! I get a few codes, mostly to do with a threshold that gets crossed. We think it might be a sensor issue - so we're ordering up a MAF sensor and hoping that'll fix it.

Other than that, there's still the weird coolant seep (is this project car life?) but the car runs great. I've dailied it to work once every so often.

Got revision 4 of the tune this week, but with the snow it'll be hard to do some datalogging - hopefully have this thing fully tuned before the next season! We've been told we're actually running out of fuel already, so I'm really really glad we upgraded those injectors!

and of course, updates are boring without a few photos - we did a few shoots over the summer

Name:  DSC05758_DxO_smol.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  436.6 KB

Name:  DSC05791_DxO_smol.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  123.6 KB

For now, I winter drive the Golf R - and only take the FiST out for tuning, gonna be a long winter :|

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I liked Statified Auto they tuned my Focus ST years back when I had it. Had some really good maps for the accessport done up.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by reiRei View Post
    As far as progress on the build, we've been slowly tuning the car and running into some weirdness.

We're currently tuning the car with Stratified Auto, and every so often when we're just cruising down the highway, I hit limp mode. Kind of weird - I don't get a check engine light, but a traction control light (anyone have this happen to them before?) I pull over, turn the car on and off and then we're good to go! I get a few codes, mostly to do with a threshold that gets crossed. We think it might be a sensor issue - so we're ordering up a MAF sensor and hoping that'll fix it.
    Does it throw a "wrench" light or dash message? If they are too aggressive with the driver demand torque tables in the low throttle/cruise area it can cause plausability (IPC) errors and put the car into limp mode (ETC FMEM)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast