Quantcast
Renting to someone who does short term rentals - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Renting to someone who does short term rentals

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you just ask a lawyer to give you some boiler plate samples gratis? Hahaha
    The question How much? implies payment does it not?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Did you just ask a lawyer to give you some boiler plate samples gratis? Hahaha
    Did I? Reads to me like I asked how much? I suppose if I have to ask, I can't afford it.....

i've done a similar concept with my condo in winnipeg, but it was a legit short rental executive company that specializes in this throughout canada. it was good money, they were essentially charging hotel rates. but then pandemic hit, and condo board decided that minumum stays have to be 30 days, so basically killed the idea of weekly tenants. so i decided to take on the longer lease deals on my own. but yea, they maintained it and cleaned it after every tenant.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
    i've done a similar concept with my condo in winnipeg, but it was a legit short rental executive company that specializes in this throughout canada. it was good money, they were essentially charging hotel rates. but then pandemic hit, and condo board decided that minumum stays have to be 30 days, so basically killed the idea of weekly tenants. so i decided to take on the longer lease deals on my own. but yea, they maintained it and cleaned it after every tenant.
    Any issues with the condo board as far as noise complaints? Giving you a hard time about it? Was your unit what made them change to the 30 day minimum?

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Any issues with the condo board as far as noise complaints? Giving you a hard time about it? Was your unit what made them change to the 30 day minimum?
    A condo board would require a special resolution to change the bylaws. They can create a policy to deter air bnb but you can 100% ignore it if it's not specifically in your bylaws.

To change your bylaws is a massive undertaking that requires a massive volunteer effort and at least 12 months to do.

Have you ready your bylaws? I'm going to guess there's zero mention of air bnb style renting.

Theres a big difference on policy vs bylaw when it comes to the things condo boards try to do.

It's like parlay.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    nope, no issues whatsoever, not sure how or when they started talking about the change. there are a lot of renters, and a few airbnbs in the complex, but i think majority of the owners that live there had a problem with covid and was scared of the spread with so many different tenants or something that. they basically said, if you break the policy, you'll be charged a certain amount. so if there are really nosy people in my building, and report it then i'll be fined.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    A condo board would require a special resolution to change the bylaws. They can create a policy to deter air bnb but you can 100% ignore it if it's not specifically in your bylaws.

To change your bylaws is a massive undertaking that requires a massive volunteer effort and at least 12 months to do.

Have you ready your bylaws? I'm going to guess there's zero mention of air bnb style renting.

Theres a big difference on policy vs bylaw when it comes to the things condo boards try to do.
    Yes, I'm aware of all the above. I'm on the board and have updated the bylaws a few years ago. I remember talking about it. In the end, we were ok with short term rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
    nope, no issues whatsoever, not sure how or when they started talking about the change. there are a lot of renters, and a few airbnbs in the complex, but i think majority of the owners that live there had a problem with covid and was scared of the spread with so many different tenants or something that. they basically said, if you break the policy, you'll be charged a certain amount. so if there are really nosy people in my building, and report it then i'll be fined.
    you cant be forced to pay a fine for breaking a policy. If it's not clearly laid out in your bylaws your free to do as you please.

I wish it was that easy to create a new policy just to fine the crap out of some owners but sadly that's just not possible.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post

Not to mention the cost of changing the bylaws. It's a huge PITA
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3