Quantcast
New handgun legislation introduced May 2022 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New handgun legislation introduced May 2022

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These laws are a pos …the only part I agree with is domestic Violence losing their license.

The rest is pure BS…. It will do nothing to solve gun crime
    • Fighting gun smuggling and trafficking by increasing criminal penalties, providing more tools for law enforcement to investigate firearms crimes, and strengthening border security measures.
    This is the only thing that needed to be done. Funny how it only makes a sentence in some articles, if it appears at all.

Fucking Trudeau has been pushing pseudo-science gun laws all along - the border issue has and always will be the biggest problem, as many police chiefs have attested to.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    So pretty much things that already exist. Strict licensing and renewal standards exist, magazine capacity limits exist and anyone can call the RCMP at any time to report a concern that will pretty much guarantee a license suspension and seizure.

But hey, saying legal owners can't buy or sell handguns and businesses will have to curtail their operations because they can't sell or import them will stop gang shootings with smuggled guns in Toronto. And don't forget that airsoft will now be a dead sport because of this new bill.

As of this morning, pretty much everywhere is sold out of handguns and mags as people are stocking up. Congrats Justin, you're the best gun salesman in Canada for the second time in two years.
    The licensing course is ridiculously easy. I think you'd agree with me that any "test" that has a pass rate somewhere north of 95% (and I think this is a conservative estimate) isn't really a test.

The strict part comes from the background checks that are done at the licensing stage, whereas I think the Americans put that burden on the authorized seller. But I think stricter standards at the education phase of the licensing process would be more beneficial.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    The licensing course is ridiculously easy. I think you'd agree with me that any "test" that has a pass rate somewhere north of 95% (and I think this is a conservative estimate) isn't really a test.
    In what ways are the courses and tests deficient? For the most part, they teach common sense (safety, basic handling, basic legal requirements, clearing common issues), so it should be expected that people can pass it. Sixteen mandatory class hours if you want a restricted endorsement and 4 mandatory tests.

Checks are done at the licensing and renewal stage, but also on a daily basis through continuous eligibility, whenever a transfer of a restricted is done or when a license is checked through the online portal during a sale at a store. Private sales required the verification of license and now require a check through the CFP that is evidenced with a transfer number

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This is the only thing that needed to be done. Funny how it only makes a sentence in some articles, if it appears at all.

Fucking Trudeau has been pushing pseudo-science gun laws all along - the border issue has and always will be the biggest problem, as many police chiefs have attested to.
    I'd be very skeptical if that happens at all, especially since he is actively reducing sentences for some very serious gun crimes to drive his "certain groups are over-represented in jail" line.
    Last edited by FraserB; 05-31-2022 at 10:27 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm a proponent of evidence-based policy. I also try to stay out of gun arguments, because ever gun discussion turns into a gun argument. However, I would like to know if there are any solid statistics that show any meaningful number of gun deaths or injuries being due to legal, licensed but "inadequately" trained usage? My gut feel is that this amount is vanishingly small.

It's hard mental work to differentiate between "this seems bad" and "this is a statistically significant problem", but I think it's up to us voters to demand this kind of differentiation from our politicians.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Well this is legal, licensed, and intentional deaths. (2016 data) 4 out of 223. So I would wager legal, licensed, and unintentional is zero.
    Name:  1653929114638.png
Views: 425
Size:  387.2 KB

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Liberals have never been very good at math
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    In what ways are the courses and tests deficient? For the most part, they teach common sense (safety, basic handling, basic legal requirements, clearing common issues), so it should be expected that people can pass it. Sixteen mandatory class hours if you want a restricted endorsement and 4 mandatory tests.

Checks are done at the licensing and renewal stage, but also on a daily basis through continuous eligibility, whenever a transfer of a restricted is done or when a license is check through the online portal during a sale at a store.

I'd be very skeptical if that happens at all, especially since he is actively reducing sentences for some very serious gun crimes to drive his "certain groups are over-represented in jail" line.
    Yeah I am not sure how someone is equating stricter course requirements for licensing, which essentially is about the handling of a firearm, to improving currently levels of public safety. Does he think there is a big problem in Canada with accidental shootings from poor handling by registered license holders?

Where the vast majority of gun issues are happening is from criminal activity, of which licensing and legal gun purchases are not going help as any rational human being can identify. This is a case of faking arguments for ones personal irrational fear of the boogey man crawling out from under his bed.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Yet another needless piece of legislation designed to improve optics to the Liberal voter, but one unlikely to have any reasonable practical effect.

My Ride
    ute

This is a trap issue. Smart politics by the Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    this is a trap issue. Smart politics by the #albertaseparation
    ftfy
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    If I had known you guys would end up being such bitches, I would’ve opened the parenting forum.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Canada doesn't have the same cultural gun-nut issues that the Americans have. Gang violence is everywhere, which is likely where JT is stating gun violence is getting worse. However, those guns are obtained via black market anyways which negates of utility of this buy-back/ban.

I don't get the appeal of handguns myself, I'd rather have a shotgun or bolt-action hunting rifle, but to each their own.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Well this is legal, licensed, and intentional deaths. (2016 data) 4 out of 223. So I would wager legal, licensed, and unintentional is zero.
    Name:  1653929114638.png
Views: 425
Size:  387.2 KB
    I wish this flashy infographic would appear on the news. I watched 3 different news programs last night and all of them, even cbc, stated that the ban on legal firearms will have very little effect on illegal guns used in our country.

Yet this is somehow received as a positive step in reducing crime

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I don't get the appeal of handguns myself, I'd rather have a shotgun or bolt-action hunting rifle, but to each their own.
    I agree. Outside of an old 1911 and a Dirty Harry S&W .44, I don't see myself owning a handgun. Some guys like lil guns I guess.

I'm on the search for a lever shotgun and rifle to satisfy my inner Yee Haw.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Canada doesn't have the same cultural gun-nut issues that the Americans have. Gang violence is everywhere, which is likely where JT is stating gun violence is getting worse. However, those guns are obtained via black market anyways which negates of utility of this buy-back/ban.

they are super fun to shot at the range and enjoyable, I enjoy shooting my hand guns.

this issue like oil and gas suffers from lack of good publicity and management and is going to get the shaft... there might be a few changes to the bill before it gets passed but face it ... it will pass

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    I agree. Outside of an old 1911 and a Dirty Harry S&W .44, I don't see myself owning a handgun. Some guys like lil guns I guess.

I'm on the search for a lever shotgun and rifle to satisfy my inner Yee Haw.
    Colt 1911 MKIV series 70 Gold Cup National Match .45ACP... If you are only going to have one real 1911, this is the baby you want for range shooting!

Dirty_SOHC is offline 0.2 liters away from a good engine
    My Ride
    WRX

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Colt 1911 MKIV series 70 Gold Cup National Match .45ACP... If you are only going to have one real 1911, this is the baby you want for range shooting!

That is beautiful!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm a proponent of evidence-based policy. I also try to stay out of gun arguments, because ever gun discussion turns into a gun argument. However, I would like to know if there are any solid statistics that show any meaningful number of gun deaths or injuries being due to legal, licensed but "inadequately" trained usage? My gut feel is that this amount is vanishingly small.

It's hard mental work to differentiate between "this seems bad" and "this is a statistically significant problem", but I think it's up to us voters to demand this kind of differentiation from our politicians.
    Statscan says their data is inaccurate, while everyone is using that data to present their narratives.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/as-ott...rise-1.5923276

Despite the figures, StatCan stresses that there are gaps in its reporting.

"It is important to recognize that there are limitations in our knowledge about firearms used in crime," the report says.

One of these gaps is the limited information collected on the details of particular firearms, such as their exact type, who owned it, how it was stored or whether the owner is licensed, the agency says.

There also is no consistent definition of a shooting among police services in Canada, nor is there consistent criteria to determine whether a shooting actually occurred.

As well, there are gaps in the nature of firearm-related violence in Canada, including the extent to which organized crime is involved, and whether there are any patterns in ethnicity, Indigenous identity except in the case of homicide data, and socioeconomic factors involved.

Provinces also do not require investigators to send guns used in crime for tracing, although even this process has varying success rates, StatCan says.

"Of particular concern, there is currently little information available to determine the source of firearms used in crime: for example, whether a gun used in a crime was stolen, illegally purchased or smuggled into the country," the report says.

"This information is sometimes not recorded by police services, recorded inconsistently or, in some cases, the information is simply not available."
    All the reports of guns in crime coming from US, or a shift to legally obtained guns is based on shitty data.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Time to mobilize the Honky Boyz again!

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Time to mobilize the Honky Boyz again!
    They're going to honk so fucking hard that Trudeau is bound to change his mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    They're going to honk so fucking hard that Trudeau is bound to change his mind.
    honking makes trudeau a bigger asshole... and more extreme lame laws

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast