Quantcast
New handgun legislation introduced May 2022 - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New handgun legislation introduced May 2022

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Just when I thought the government couldn't make a bigger mess of our gun laws, here we are.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 06-01-2022 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Edited because of muzzle
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    The fact that they are grandfathering existing handgun owners is a strong indication they understand there is no risk to public safety.
    I would instead argue that the government is trying to find the balance between ensuring they get the Liberal vote by introducing tougher gun control, yet not going so far as to piss off all the Conservatives who own the guns. It's actually smart from a political standpoint.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    It is going to be a pain... Things are taking easily 3 months or more to get through for RPAL, and that was before this current mess!.
    Tried to send you a PM, but your box is full.
    Last edited by R-Audi; 06-01-2022 at 11:23 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    I would instead argue that the government is trying to find the balance between ensuring they get the Liberal vote by introducing tougher gun control, yet not going so far as to piss off all the Conservatives who own the guns. It's actually smart from a political standpoint.
    There is nothing smart about the current liberal governments approach to gun laws
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    Nothing about their new laws are about trying to court Conservative votes. People with rifles now banned under the OIC are pissed off and will be even more pissed when the pittance of compensation for confiscation is "offered" (probably some shitty tax credit). People who own or want to own handguns are now pissed off that they cant buy/sell/trade/will them and they'll be confiscated without compensation when they either die or leave the sport or their guns will be useless if they break and parts are now banned for import. Businesses that sell any of the above are going to be severely impacted and will have to lay people off or close down entirely. People who play airsoft are going to realize that their sport is now targeted under the same laws and get pissed off.

Every single law the Liberals have introduced is designed to make it look like they are doing something, while doing nothing at the expense of people they know will never vote for them and can paint as dangerous and crazy. Going after the main sources of smuggling and illegal guns would mean they can't talk about keeping the "over represented" groups out of jail by lowering sentences
    Last edited by FraserB; 06-01-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Again, laws are just words on a page if cannot be inforced at the level needed.
    Holding down the population's freedumbs for the class that will continue to break the laws does nothing.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

@FraserB That's racist!
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

Cops are gun nuts.

Too much data hurts the gun crazies.

From a police work standpoint in a particular case, the source of the gun in the crime is not important beyond "did the criminal purchase it legally".

You don't get extra charges if you bought it from US black market, or Canadian.

Trust me. It's FAR easier to buy a Canadian black market gun here over an American one. No one risks a border crossing for that shit.
    Incorrect. It may be easier for you Toma, but if you were familiar with any of the larger Lower Mainland gangs, you could access a US smuggled handgun or AR platform rifle/etc instantly. And these people and those affiliated with them make up 80 to 90 percent of the violence with handguns, and now rifles too.

The RCMP have the data on how many stolen registered handguns end up out on the street. It's like 5 keystrokes at the firearms center computer terminals to call up how many thefts have occurred over X period of time. See Toma, people who have registered handguns and have their registered firearms stolen do this thing called reporting their theft/break+enter/etc. It would be an extremely rare firearms owner that would risk A: being charged for not reporting their registered firearms being stolen, B: not being able to claim insurance, C: risking their license and ability to replace/continue owning other firearms/etc, or D: be held accountable for crimes committing with their now stolen handguns by not reporting their theft. This data and info is all at the firearms center the RCMP took over years ago out in Miramichi. They also know each and every firearm recovered by L/E up here's origin, as removing the serial number is impossible with the modern techniques for pulling the numbers out of metal that has been filed/whatever. They RCMP either don't want to release that info, or have been ordered not to, as it doesn't fit the current Federal narrative.

Also, the RCMP/CSIS have pretty good intel on the larger gangs, and just out in the lower mainland where I have a friend in one of these fed agencies I worked with for years whose word I trust, they know that they regularly have illegal shipments of dozens, and sometimes hundreds of handguns from the USA come in. Their street price up here was and still is over $2000, and they sell as fast as they enter the country. I don't know about Ontario, but it's probably much the same in the East.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 06-01-2022 at 02:27 PM.

My Ride
    This and that.

I have had my license for approx. 7 years. Have shotguns and rifles etc. but never bothered purchasing a handgun due to the complicated law surrounding them as well as thinking will likely rarely ever use one. After seeing these articles I have now purchased a CZ SP-01 Shadow 9mm and a S&W .22 revolver. May have never even bothered ever getting one, but something about them being banned made me go and get some. New possible legislation has had the opposite effect I feel. The day I went the local range had a 1.5 for long line up.

For reference; I am pro guns in general and like the Canadian law surrounding them for the most part and don't agree with how things are in the US when it comes to firearms.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 06-02-2022 at 03:14 PM.

^^ You'll enjoy shooting both of those handguns Shakala, the Shadow is an excellent first 9mm, as is the Smith .22 revolver (either the 17 or 617, or older models, all are excellent). I've trained hundreds of first time handgun shooters, and among the first things I tell them after the 4 primary safety rules, is that once you can shoot handguns well, you'll be able to shoot anything well. The skills cross over well I've found. The fact that the sight radius is so much shorter on handguns than rifles/shotguns, as well as not being a shoulder supported firearm, makes handgun skills more difficult to learn, but once they are learned, makes anyone a better shooter with everything else IMO, and that is demonstrable.

The people I know in the retail side of the firearms business have all said categorically that the last couple days since the announcements from the GOV, have been probably their best sales days ever, in terms of handgun sales. One dealer I know whom I spoke to had sold 70 handguns in just one day...

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I have had my license for approx. 7 years. Have shotguns and rifles etc. but never bothered purchasing a handgun due to the complicated law surrounding them as well as thinking will likely rarely ever use one. After seeing these articles I have no purchased a CZ SP-01 Shadow 9mm and a S&W .22 revolver. May have never even bothered ever getting one, but something about them being banned made me go and get some. New possible legislation has had the opposite effect I feel. The day I went the local range had a 1.5 long line up.

For reference; I am pro guns in general and like the Canadian law surrounding them for the most part and don't agree with how things are in the US when it comes to firearms.
    Where did you get them?

I'd like a Glock 17 but can't find stock anywhere.
    An SP-01 would be a suitable candidate as well.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’ve always had a soft spot for a 45 USP.

I’m guessing due to their price point there are a few floating around.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Transfer went through for that Glock 19 I bought. Nice when they only take 2 days despite insane demand.
    Name:  Screenshot_20220602-141814_Gallery.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  191.6 KB

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    ^^ You'll enjoy shooting both of those handguns Shakala, the Shadow is an excellent first 9mm, as is the Smith .22 revolver (either the 17 or 617, or older models, all are excellent). I've trained hundreds of first time handgun shooters, and among the first things I tell them after the 4 primary safety rules, is that once you can shoot handguns well, you'll be able to shoot anything well. The skills cross over well I've found. The fact that the sight radius is so much shorter on handguns than rifles/shotguns, as well as not being a shoulder supported firearm, makes handgun skills more difficult to learn, but once they are learned, makes anyone a better shooter with everything else IMO, and that is demonstrable.

The people I know in the retail side of the firearms business have all said categorically that the last couple days since the announcements from the GOV, have been probably their best sales days ever, in terms of handgun sales. One dealer I know whom I spoke to had sold 70 handguns in just one day...
    Thanks, I am looking forward to trying them out. I am relatively experienced with handguns, even though never owned any of my own. I just wanted to add something to my collection for posterity. I also joined West Edmonton Shooting Centre gun club so plan to hit that up at least once a month once my transfer comes through and I take possession of the guns.

You seem like you know a lot - if I wanted to purchase one other piece, regardless of 9mm, .22 or .45 etc., knowing what I will already have, what piece would you suggest I look into? I'd love to get my hands on a Gold Desert Eagle just to have one but I was told that there is a waiting list that is over a year long for something like that. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Where did you get them?

I'd like a Glock 17 but can't find stock anywhere.
    An SP-01 would be a suitable candidate as well.
    I got mine at the Phoenix Shooting Centre in Edmonton after waiting for 1.5 hours in line with a buddy. But it was fun as everyone was just shooting the shit. This was day before yesterday and at that time they did have a few more pieces left of the SP-01. You can also buy online from them. Not sure what the stock is like now.

My Ride
    ute

I found @shakalaka 's gun

Name:  3fb449b3c67510f2b21ea47e86012993.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  28.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post

You seem like you know a lot - if I wanted to purchase one other piece, regardless of 9mm, .22 or .45 etc., knowing what I will already have, what piece would you suggest I look into? I'd love to get my hands on a Gold Desert Eagle just to have one but I was told that there is a waiting list that is over a year long for something like that. Haha.

Everyone needs a Colt 1911 .45ACP in their collection...

How about a different Colt 45.
    Those work every time.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

I think it’s missing a spoiler

fact.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post
    These laws are a pos …the only part I agree with is domestic Violence losing their license.

The rest is pure BS…. It will do nothing to solve gun crime
    We have gun crime?

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

Haha exactly that minus the stones. Not into the bling so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Everyone needs a Colt 1911 .45ACP in their collection...

The search has started.

I have already purchased 2 and no transfers have come through, will it raise eyebrows at the CFO office if I buy another one? lol

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast