Quantcast
2012 Accord EX-L Clutch Issues... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2012 Accord EX-L Clutch Issues...

When you bleed the system, what did the fluid look like?
    Did it come out clean or like a black slurry? When the seals in the master/slave start to break down it creates a black mess in the fluid.

Clean.

Do you have a high frequency vibration or odd feeling in the clutch pedal when you press it? I think the clutch pressure plate spring is broken, or the engine crankshaft is loosing its thrust bearings.[/QUOTE]

No vibration or frequency noises.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you bleed the system, what did the fluid look like?
    Did it come out clean or like a black slurry? When the seals in the master/slave start to break down it creates a black mess in the fluid.

Clean.

Do you have a high frequency vibration or odd feeling in the clutch pedal when you press it? I think the clutch pressure plate spring is broken, or the engine crankshaft is loosing its thrust bearings.
    As the clutch disk wears, the engagement point is going to travel upwards. If it consistently grabs in the last quarter of pedal travel, I would stop here and put a clutch in it. If it grabs right off of the floor and is hard to get into gear, that is usually a hydraulic problem. Or someone has fucked with the master cylinder push rod adjustment.

From your description, it sometimes grabs close to the floor. Then sometimes grabs at the end of pedal travel? And it changes with temperature. Something is moving and changing the engagement point.

If the crankshaft moves horizontally in the engine block this will change clutch feel. As the clutch is bolted to the crankshaft and the hydraulics to the transmission case. With a big screwdriver or prybar push the balancer (crankshaft pulley) into the timing cover with like 10 pounds of force, then pry it back out away from the timing cover again with like 10 pounds. The amount the balancer moves is crankshaft end play, the max spec for this is 0.45mm. If you have a problem it will move a few mm.

I have seen pressure plate diaphragm springs cause weird engagement problems. This is a hard one to look at with the transmission installed. If you peel back the dust boot around the slave cylinder and use a small mirror or bore scope. Inspect the fingers on the pressure plate where they contact the release bearing. All of the fingers should be the same height, you may have to rotate the engine to see it all. If some of the fingers are contacting the release bearing and some are not, the pressure plate is bad. Do not rotate the engine counter clockwise, it can jump time.

Seeing that bleeding the hydraulics did not fix the problem, most likely the transmission is coming out, if the transmission is coming out, its going to get a clutch kit and flywheel. Don't bother trying to machine the flywheel, just buy a new one.

I hope this helps.

Swapped the Master and slave cylinder with new parts / fluid etc...

Issue remains. Starting to think its the throw out bearing.

If I have to open it up for that...might as well do the clutch as well seeing as it is at about 150k on the original.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Family Hauler

It is an accord 6x6... theres too much power flowing through that clutch system to last long!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2